What's new

hotcuervo

Student
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I purchased a cps3 pcb with 3rd Strike cartridge off of ebay from some guy in CA. Game works flawlessly. My dilemma is that there is no CD nor scsi2sd hooked up to it. How is this possible? Is this some sort of new cart mod? I've attached a picture of my set up. Thanks in advance for y'all input.

Attachments

• cps3_3st.JPG
    cps3_3st.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 1,386
You have the no cd version. A few of the game have such version. Do you know when the battery was last changed? These thing are very temperament so be careful if it's still on battery

I opened up the cart and is battery suicide (no battery). When I start it up it says USA no cd darksoft. Would I be able to flash the super bios to this cart?

Attachments

• cps3_3st_cart.JPG
    cps3_3st_cart.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 502
  • cps3_3st_usa.JPG
    cps3_3st_usa.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 429
That is a modified superbios cart with the cd drive disabled. You can flash the original superbios to it if you like. If you have a spare cart I would flash that cart and pick up a drive. This way you can flash a game when you like and just use this cart to boot with cd drive disconnected. Your current cart is not link to 3rd Strike. It will direct boot whatever game is loaded on the Simm with out a drive. Only issue I had was with red earth where it was laggy if I remember correctly

I don't have a spare cart. How can I flash the superbios to this modified cart? I purchased a scsi2sd for this purpose so I don't have to use a cd drive. I appreciate your help.

You have to pull the bios ic flash it and solder it back in. It's the IC next to the big one with the D on it with a bunch of flux on it

I have not had any experience soldering chips nor I have the equipment to flash it. How much you charge me to do it if I send you the cart?

I don't charge to much, but you will be better off sending it to @Mitsurugi-w. I'm in Canada so with custom there may be delays. I believe his rate is $55

Hello everybody, I purchased a cps3 pcb with 3rd Strike cartridge off of ebay from some guy in CA. Game works flawlessly. My dilemma is that there is no CD nor scsi2sd hooked up to it. How is this possible? Is this some sort of new cart mod? I've attached a picture of my set up. Thanks in advance for y'all input.
Well well well look who it is.
Welcome to AP man.

Hey broda, lol. Yeah it’s me. Turns out according to XeD that I can flash it to the regular super bios but I need to remove the chip in oder to do that.

Also, you have version B of 3rd strike (990608) which removes unblockables and is not played in the competitive community

Also, you have version B of 3rd strike (990608) which removes unblockables and is not played in the competitive community
THANK WRAITH. I was just going to bring this to HOTCUERVO's attention. Please play only version A.

Thanks for the info guys. I send the cart to mitsu for him to do the superbios flash.

If the cart has no battery and it's running Darksoft SF3:3S nocd then the bios chip in the cart must already be the Darksoft one. Looking at the bios chip its definitely been replaced...

surely the simms have just been flashed with the nocd image and can be re-flashed with the normal one by adding a cdrom drive with the correct cdr inside (multi-custom bios).

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/mitsurugi-w-s-cpsiii-nocd-utility-disk.16/

Unless he's used the USA nocd bios file from here.....

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/cps-iii-bios-and-cd-releases.36/

Last edited:
Thanks for that info penrhos. I send the cart to mitsu for him to flash it to super bios and I'll use a scsi2sd pcb instead of a cd drive.

If it's done the same way I do it. Once you have superbios back and have the SCSI no re writing is required (if you have the no cd iso loaded). You should do it anyway to get the 512 revision. The no cd iso only change the boot screen and does not disable the drive.

Alright XeD, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Darksoft made a newer "no cd" branded version of the multi disc dated 4/12/2019, I say just burn that to CD with IMGBurn software or if using a SCSI2SD device image the SD card with HDD Raw Copy software.
Remember when you overwrite the SIMMs it takes FOREVER! :P
8hyKLPD.jpg

So I got my cart back from mitsu. He flashed it to the latest super bios and programmed the scsi2sd. I hooked it up this morning and all I get is a message on the screen “now reading the cd-rom. Please wait.....” and that’s it. It doesn’t get past that screen. It’s like the cps3 pcb is not picking up the scsi2sd. I’m thinking I have a bad ribbon cable maybe? Any help would be appreciated.

Back