What's new

chacal231077

Grand Master
Reaction score
Sony COH-2000 Arcade Target Box =O

photo-jul-09-7-58-38-pm-jpg.32820

bbb95a97847d3b31b3f3815984f8c3d8.jpg

Last edited:
it would be interesting to see if that SC01 gets dumped... I'd be curious how it differs from the other protection chips.

is this a primal rage 2 dev board? did atari do anything else with the platform?

That's actually my board. I was successful in getting Primal Rage 2 working on it. SC01 has been dumped as well as the bios. I'm still looking for the ISA card/software that connects it to a PC.

coh2000.jpg

That's the ISA card that goes in a PC which allows a connection to the dev system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWNMUU8dsQM

Primal Rage 2 working on the board set.

Last edited:
@CoolFox dude that’s awesome! Share more, anything... the pickup story, the troubleshooting, getting PR2 loaded. Whatever you can, I’d love to read it.

@CoolFox dude that’s awesome! Share more, anything... the pickup story, the troubleshooting, getting PR2 loaded. Whatever you can, I’d love to read it.
Well, last year one of my friends in my slack channel found it when it was listed on EBAY. It was listed as a COH-2000 Target box in one of the sub sections of Arcade. He forwarded it to me and said "What is this?" I sort of immediately knew what it was, so I picked it up as fast as I could even if it was missing the security key, the roms and the hdd. The important thing is it had the CPLD populated on the top board.

I asked the seller if he could give me any history on it and if he had an HDD. He didn't say much, only he found the system in his closet and was emptying it out (not very exciting), plus there was no HDD. After 1.5 weeks of waiting (even though it was in California as well, it kept going to the wrong areas), I received it and it worked, but obviously without the correct security key it wouldn't do anything even with the bios/roms populated.

The board main board is a little different compared to the regular ZN1 board. It has 4x the amount of regular ram and 2x the amount of VRAM. Usually the bios is on the main board as well, but on the dev boards it's on the SCSI board in the back and the place it's supposed to be on the main board is not populated.

Fast forward a bunch of months and I finally found someone that would help me get PR2 working on it. Basically it involved editing the security chip out and that's pretty much it. It took a long time to find someone because the code was encrypted.

Primal Rage 2 works great on it, no problems other than it being a prototype build (so there are tons of bugs).

Back