What's new

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss porting CPS 1.5 games to CPS2.

Some incredible work has already been done on this over at the Arcade Otaku forums:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30919

Major kudos to l_oliveira and Asure on their work so far.

Neocps1 has also demonstrated some CPS1 and CPS1.5 games he has ported to CPS2, but it appears he has no plans to share any work or ideas on this.

Who knows? Eventually we may be able to play The Punisher, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Warrior of Fate, Saturday Night Slam Masters and Muscle Bomber Duo on Darksoft's CPS2 multi device!

I really hope this eventually happens, those aforementioned games would really complete this multi-kit as they're all great titles. The Punisher is one of my favourite Beat-em-ups of all time, and Saturday Night Slam Masters is awesome to play multiplayer!
If there was any way of donating to this endeavour, I'd throw some money at it for sure.

I know one of the problems with CPS1 (not dash) on CPS2 was rewriting the sound drivers. Since CPS1.5/Dash uses QSound, is it a simple drop-in or is there more work required to port the music? For instance, did they change the encryption between 1.5 and 2?

I know one of the problems with CPS1 (not dash) on CPS2 was rewriting the sound drivers. Since CPS1.5/Dash uses QSound, is it a simple drop-in or is there more work required to port the music? For instance, did they change the encryption between 1.5 and 2?
From what I understand it's 'pretty much' a drop in for the music. There is already a tool out there to decrypt the qsound. The main issue is minor differences in the graphics chips, so sprites are handled slightly different on cps 1.5 compared to cps2. As such the program ROMs have to be patched to accommodate this.

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs would be awsome, sound is totally broken on the cos1 14-1 multi and i totally want it.

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs would be awsome, sound is totally broken on the cos1 14-1 multi and i totally want it.
Yep, that and punisher would be awesome. I got a bootleg C&D board, it has bad audio and some graphic glitches. Totally playable, though.

Hey guys,

Something news concerning this project? I hope it will come soon on multi CPS2, it will be awesome!!!

I don't really know but there is a french guy that converted a Punisher to run on a CPS2 system.
He is not willing to share more informations right now ?(

I don't really know but there is a french guy that converted a Punisher to run on a CPS2 system
I have also been told this, by a highly reputable person, so I believe it to be true.

The reason given for not releasing... He didn't want Punisher CPS2 bootlegs appearing eBay?
Seems a little weak to me, but again I'm told this story was/is real.

I got sick of waiting for a conversion ROM that probably exists...
IMG_20160523_101655.jpg

it will be fine if only we can make a rom version only for multi CPS2 in order to avoid any convert or bootleg :(

I believe neocps1 had originally said he would trade his CPS2 Punisher conversion for a legit CPS 1.5 Punisher board.

If anyone is willing to do that, I'd imagine he'd still be for it.

If anyone is willing to do that, I'd imagine he'd still be for it.
I might be willing, but this is the issue...
Before I hand over known working hardware, I want a few day hands on time with the conversion ROMs.

IF it's 100% free of bugs/errors and played perfectly, then and only then would I send the real Punisher board.
I would also expect some financial support/reimbursement from the community here, after all I spent the 350$ on Punisher.
Say a site wide donation goal of 250$?

Naturally I wouldn't expect anyone to trust me to pay for code after transmitting it.
Hell I don't know if I trust me... Would be real easy just to keep the conversion ROMs AND the Punisher board. ;)

I think there are some minor issues with it due to differences in the cps2 hardware and supposedly you can see them from the YouTube video.

Also I believe his original offer was for a CPS2 conversion board with the ROMs installed, so at least that would recoup some of the costs.

I'd be willing to pitch in a bit if this were to happen. If you want to see if he's still down, you can message him on Arcade Otaku and see what his terms would be. I too would be cautious and would want him to send first (or use a trusted intermediary) before sending a legit Punisher board to France.

@jassin000 please poke the guy. He can send you some videos and you can check how it exactly works and then decide....
Me and I'm sure others will help you raising that sum.

I would also help out funding this.

Also, I have an original Punisher board as well, not sure I am willing to trade it out though. However, I have a spare 1.5 board, can the original punisher roms be copied over to a spare 1.5 board? Maybe we would take that in trade instead?

Back