What's new

gamemaster14

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering how a Namco System 246 racing game gets wired up. Will they only run on the System 246a board that Ridge Racer 5 uses? do they use some sort of special Namco I/O board or will a Sega JVS work? Does Wangan Midnight run on a different board?

I have a full setup for Initial D on Sega Naomi 2, but am really doubting that would be compatible.

wangan midnight R will only run on system246 driving chassis (look at arcadeotaku wiki).
not all games in this system interchangeable, it is because the extended ram memory size differences.

the system246 driving chassis has 2 board that have to be connected. one is included on the box, which is FCA pcb, the other is STR pcb, which usually placed outside of the box, somewhere in the cab.

later namco system, i.e. N2, also have identical need, but with additional connection to card reader.

The Namco System 246 Driving chassis, is that the one commonly seen with Ridge Racer V (seen below)?

Are there certain racing games that will not run on this board?

System_246(Driving).jpg

Also, Does it need some sort of special steering wheel?

The Namco System 246 Driving chassis, is that the one commonly seen with Ridge Racer V (seen below)?

Are there certain racing games that will not run on this board?

Also, Does it need some sort of special steering wheel?
yes.

if what you mean is system 246 games, then i don't remember any. i actually compared the extended ram size when swapping with non driving games.

i don't quite remember the initial D setups for steering. but the system 246 games using STR pcb for steering.
something like this:
busaikukamekichi-img600x450-1361711146q0phds83155.jpg

Just FYI, soon I'll be posting a patch for RRV (and Battle Gear 3, and likely Wangan Midnight R and Normal version once those are tested) that will allow them to work entirely on a normal sega IO board without force feedback.

AND on ANY 246 chassis- driving, A, B, or C

It's been fully tested and works like a champ for RRV. All 3 regions have been patched, but the dongle requires reprogramming - it's not as easy as modifying the disc as the game code is on the dongle itself.

Do you know if that would be fully compatible with an Initial D control panel? Would the up/down shift work or does it use a different gear box?

not entirely sure- pass me the schematics from the initial d you're looking at and I can compare to the input mapping the game uses on a sega JVS IO

Thanks- I'll check it out when i get a chance- offhand, there MAY need to be some rewiring, as all the digital pins connect to the P1 side of the JVS board for RRV, but i'll make up a wiring guide.

also, you're going to need to make sure your crt can accept 15k- it's definitely not 31k capable.

Judging by the way things look, the controls should work even if you need a little rewiring as the shifting is an up and down selector, steering, gas, and brake are analog, the view button and start button are normal digital buttons.

The card R/W would do nothing of course, and the force feedback will need disconnected as there's no midi output to drive that board.
It's entirely possibly that there MAY be a way to get FFB working, but I'm not really sure without having one of those cabs onhand.

I'm still looking for a Taito JVS PCB for Battle Gear 3
This pcb has two numbers:
J9100556A
K91X0951A
There seems to be none out there.
Will your patch allow me to just use a SEGA i/o board? That would be awesome.

Yeah these pcbs seem IMPOSSIBLE to find- been looking for years. It is my understanding that the patch should make it work fine on sega io, but I have yet to test these two patches (3 and 3 tuned)

Sorry- was sick for a little last week- the last thing I wanted to do was pull out the hardware box - hopefully sometime this week I'll have the pinouts for everyone.

Also, for reference, Wangan Midnight is actually the SECOND game in the series on the 246- the first is Wangan Midnight R (and yes, it's the first, even though it's 'R', I promise.) Both games shipped with the same 246 'driving' chassis as RRV, BUT word is that they have a larger drive cache RAM card than RRV. I'm still on the lookout for one of these larger cards, but the game's booting seems unrelated to this card.

In addition, Battle Gear 3/3 Tuned are separate games, although the original cabinet appears upgradable. They have separate dongles, HDD's, and a separate NM0000XX ID. They also have IC card capability by way of 'keys' that presumably have RFID chips embedded in the plastic of their key fob, but I haven't bought a proxmark3 yet to poke around with them, and I only have ONE... If anyone knows where to get more- even used, please let me know! An interesting thing is that we long thought BG3/Tuned needed a SPECIFIC Taito 'JVS IO PCB' board, but it appears that the game hangs at boot if any of the analog inputs are left floating, unlike RRV and WM/WMR

Hello, I just got here looking for information about battle gear 3, I'm from Spain and just bought this twin cabinet, but the system 246 not seem to work, make beeps when you start and nothing else, if anyone knows what problem would appreciate .

I can also provide them the info they need about the taito pcb-jvs for the project.

Sounds like it is recognizing the dongle as good. Most likely the DVD drive has died on you.

It could also be the whole system246 has died. And also Battle Gear does not use DVD. It's a HDD, so maybe that has died, but this is the case for both units? No image on the monitors?

by beeping do you mean the ding ding ding sound or a quack quack quack sound, or some other sound (I can get audio samples of these sound effects if needed)?
Also I do know that BG3 will boot to a black screen unless an IO board AND the proper wiring to the analog board are in place- if brakes, throttle, steering aren't connected correctly or have come loose - or the IO board isn't powered up/on, the game will boot to a black screen...

Any and all photos or details of the IO board would be much appreciated- I've only got a low-resolution photo at this point.
Also, if you could get dumps of the eprom, that would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Attachments

• battle_gear_3.jpg
    battle_gear_3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 531
The two units only show black screen, but one does ding ding ding and cut, I will try to take audio sample. the unit that makes ding ding ding, is a substitute I'm using an original Time Crisis 3. When I picked up the cabinet not to ding any pcb, I do not see any LED on the pcb taito jvs, you could make a dump of the EPROM today same.
sorry for my English

edit.I can send larger files if necessary,

Attachments

• IMG_9689.JPG
    IMG_9689.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_9688.JPG
    IMG_9688.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_9687.JPG
    IMG_9687.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_9686 (1).JPG
    IMG_9686 (1).JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 2,109
Also I do know that BG3 will boot to a black screen unless an IO board AND the proper wiring to the analog board are in place- if brakes, throttle, steering aren't connected correctly or have come loose - or the IO board isn't powered up/on, the game will boot to a black screen...
Now that's something i don't know. No wonder when i tested them a while ago, it won't boot and wierdly, the hdd is making repeating clicking sound.

Back