What's new

adgenet

Professional
Reaction score
My Vewlix came with FastIO which is totally useless to me at the moment (don't have a FastIO pcie card or a ttx2/3, at least yet).

I want to at least get started with some kind of useful interface to my PC so the cabinet isn't just a static piece of furniture, and so far have the following options:
1. Brook UFB or similar, bypass all existing wiring, cheapest overall option. Downsides: no actual arcade hardware compatibility.
2. Taito JVS, plug and play. Downsides: hard to find and I have no idea how much they go for and am afraid it's expensive (anybody have a rough ballpark cost?).
3. Sega JVS, much easier to find than taito JVS, fairly inexpensive on YAJ. Downsides: not plug and play with existing control panel wiring, either need to custom wire or create a new harness with the sega end on it.

I like the idea of JVS boards as they allow me to keep my options open thanks to great devices like the JVS-PAC and Jammafier, but am having a hard time choosing. What path would you all recommend?

Post a wanted add for a Taito JVS IO, sure you will find one in no time on this forum :)

I hear FastIO configured Vewlix cabs are becoming way more common.
It seems as if Taito is fully converting things over to X hardware, so Fast has become the new standard.

For this reason I recommend getting the JVS IO ASAP, I only see the aftermarket demanding rising.

It seems as if Taito is fully converting things over to X hardware, so Fast has become the new standard.
Has it though? AFAIK it's only used by X3 and a few late X2 games, X4 and newer has already moved on to something else.

Maybe the rise in FastIO based Vewlix cabs won't last?
Perhaps the time period of the FastIO has come and gone (as you mentioned with the X4) and now OPs are dumping them (hence the rise from our perspective)?

Thanks for the input. Posted a wtb thread in the sales section.

Has it though? AFAIK it's only used by X3 and a few late X2 games, X4 and newer has already moved on to something else.
Out of curiosity, what does the X4 use if not FastIO?

I built a jamma loom for one of my fastio vewlix so I could use a capcom jamma->jvs for naomi/ttx2.

I built a jamma loom for one of my fastio vewlix so I could use a capcom jamma->jvs for naomi/ttx2
Can you elaborate on this on how it's done?

Yeah Fast I/O is pretty useless you can only use it with ttx systems and nothing else.

I built a jamma loom for one of my fastio vewlix so I could use a capcom jamma->jvs for naomi/ttx2
Can you elaborate on this on how it's done?
Yeah Fast I/O is pretty useless you can only use it with ttx3 and up nothing else.
You can use it with TTX2 if you have one with a Fast IO card.

Yeah I corrected my post you can use it with ttx2 as well but only if the ttx2 comes with a fast I/O pci which is very hard to get and expensive.

Thought I'd update this thread since it still seems somewhat alive.
I ended up removing (but saving in a box) the Taito wiring, and ran new wires for everything to a 60-pin IDC breakout board -> Sega JVS IO (837-14572).
For anything not JVS, I have a Jammafier for JAMMA boards, and a JVS-PAC 2 for PC.
I also kept my original Fast-IO JAMMA edge IO which I can theoretically plug this into the Jammafier to run FastIO as well though I don't exactly anticipate this situation.

In retrospect I maybe should have wired to JAMMA and just use converters for JVS and PC instead, eliminating the need for a JAMMAfier, but I quite liked the idea of having fewer wires snaking around the cabinet.
By containing all of the button wiring in the control panel, all you end up having running to the base is the JVS cable, IO power and ground, and coin/test/service instead of 10+. Looks cleaner and is more easily manageable.
58060140217__3AEDF9B1-6C1F-4178-9D44-1F3F9E8C85A9.JPG

I ended up removing (but saving in a box) the Taito wiring, and ran new wires for everything to a 60-pin IDC breakout board -> Sega JVS IO (837-14572).
For anything not JVS, I have a Jammafier for JAMMA boards, and a JVS-PAC 2 for PC.
I also kept my original Fast-IO JAMMA edge IO which I can theoretically plug this into the Jammafier to run FastIO as well though I don't exactly anticipate this situation.

In retrospect I maybe should have wired to JAMMA and just use converters for JVS and PC instead, eliminating the need for a JAMMAfier, but I quite liked the idea of having fewer wires snaking around the cabinet.
By containing all of the button wiring in the control panel, all you end up having running to the base is the JVS cable, IO power and ground, and coin/test/service instead of 10+. Looks cleaner and is more easily manageable.
  • It looks like you soldered harnesses to the sega I/O where did you get the pin out diagram to know which is which, what goes where and so on.

Last edited:
You need to find a diagram for whatever IO you end up using.
The board I used comes in the Lindbergh universal, so I looked at the Lindbergh universal manual.
Most of the common IO pinouts are listed directly on the arcadeotaku JVS wiki page, but I personally prefer to follow the manufacturer's diagrams.
Be sure to always use a multimeter and CHECK YOUR WORK before plugging it in. Not so much of a problem with button connections, but shorting your power supply lines to ground or something could easily ruin your day.

837-14572.png

I built a jamma loom for one of my fastio vewlix so I could use a capcom jamma->jvs for naomi/ttx2.
Is your Jamma loom just straight JAMMA female edge to JAMMA female edge then? No other special modifications until it reaches the Capcom JAMMA JVS I/O Board?

Is your Jamma loom just straight JAMMA female edge to JAMMA female edge then? No other special modifications until it reaches the Capcom JAMMA JVS I/O Board?
I built a JAMMA loom and worked backwards from the 56-pin JAMMA edge to the various connectors on the Vewlix looms (so P1, P2, Coin/service under the CP and RGB+Sync to a VGA Up-scaler). then I can use normal JAMMA PCB's or the Sega V1 / Capcom JVS->JAMMA for TTX2, Naomi etc... I've completely bypassed the Fastio that was in the cab (as that has a JAMMA connector and could be plugged int the JAMMA edge connector as well).

Where did you get the IDC to screw terminals adapter - I could do with one... I have a Taito->Sega adapter in transit from SMJ.

In retrospect I maybe should have wired to JAMMA and just use converters for JVS and PC instead, eliminating the need for a JAMMAfier
This IS actually the best way to do it, but if your like me... I refuse to modify these beautiful (expensive) cabs with anything but official Taito parts.
Welcome to why the official Taito JAMMA kit is so prized by me (and others).

It's not that the Taito Scaler included with the kit is really even all that great, infact next to the OSSC... Its trash (as I like to say heh).
At the heart of the JAMMA kit however, is the control panel PCB, this bridges the official Taito cab wiring into essentially direct JAMMA wire bypassing any/all other IOs.
Once you have this, you can easily adapt into whatever you want and never have to worry about (or even be suspicious of) input lag!

I have one JAMMA kit, I've always wanted at least one more... And a few times I've found 'em... But no way in hell I was paying the asking price (north of 650$ in every instance).
So for my 2nd JAMMA need, I selected the Jammafier.
Soon with any luck I'll be able to break my silence and give a nice review of this highly recommended device, for now my babies are still in the storage unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoa! I’m doing exactly this since Arthrimus Sega IO To VEWLIX adapter is OOS. I’m wiring directly to the stick and buttons from the 60Pin breakout.

Back