Taito Vewlix F monitor replaced with LG 1080P monitor

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Taito Vewlix F monitor replaced with LG 1080P monitor

Hello, I’ve been looking into replacing outdated Vewlix Sanwa monitor to modern display. I’ve been brainstorming for a while and finally decided to do it. This is not a final version but to proof my concept. Any improvement and suggestion are welcome. I need suggestion on preventing the monitor from shifting inside the monitor frame. For now, I’ve used foam blocks. A temporary bandage patch.

I used LG monitor 32MP58HQ. Any equivalent model will work. I was going try to use the LG monitor VESA mount but I had to remove the chassis due to clearance.

The required modification will be extending the backlight and remote button harness. It’s not a common connector that I can recognize. The wire gauge felt like 26 or 28. You “can” screw down the video board like what I did (half-ass) and call it a day. However, I would strongly recommend securing down the board with your preference.

Some small steps have been omitted for simplicity.

Yes, what you see behind the glass is dirt that have been accumulated for a long time.
      1. Disassemble. Separate the glass vewlix monitor
      2. Remove all components on Vewlix chassis
      3. Tape down the glass on vewlix monitor frame
      4. Remove 3 screws behind U shape cover on LG monitor (missing photo)
      5. Disassemble LG monitor
      6. Carefully disconnect the LVDS ribbon and backlight harness.
      7. Remove LG monitor chassis
      8. Put disassembled LG monitor into vewlix monitor frame
      9. Put foams to prevent monitor shifting inside the frame
      10. Install vewlix chassis to frame
      11. Relocate the LG monitor video board onto vewlix chassis
      12. Put foam blocks between LG monitor and chassis - you want the foam to be just enough to push down the monitor.
      13. Connect all modified harness and HDMI cable and etc.
      14. Close cover (missing photo)

No Taito original parts have been harmed :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hadouken Arcade ().

• Thanks for posting this here! I heard about it from a buddy who saw it on Facebook — but I don’t visit Facebook often (ever). Glad to have it over here, and I’m definitely looking at doing this for my FC.
      multis: cps* ttx2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: test bench
    • Thank you so much for this!
      The first of what I consider to actually be a proper Vewlix LCD replacement tutorial (because the screen isn't taped inside the Vewlix but properly mounted inside its enclosure).
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • Hadouken Arcade wrote:

radiantsvgun wrote:

Looks good, id like to see how x2 or such would work. How do you make monitor adjustments?
      Simple. Just need to extend the harness and place where you desire. Brightness is also adjustable through windows and Mac application via HDMI. Monitor will turn on automatically when power is applied. No need to push ON.

I am going to gamble and try this in my ami. Any recommendations on the tape and foam? Looks like I can get the lcd on amazon.
      My IG, mostly Arcade stuff
      Cabs: Egret 2, Egret 3, New Astro, New Net, Neo 25, Vewlix DIA, Vewlix AMI
    • radiantsvgun wrote:

I am going to gamble and try this in my ami. Any recommendations on the tape and foam? Looks like I can get the lcd on amazon.
      I just used thin electrical tape from 3M. I have to find out what foam part number I'll be using since I used scrapped fire retardant foams from work. 1" height foam worked out well. I haven't shopped around but you can purchase from mcmaster(link). Does L AMI version has the chassis that I used? My vewlix L only has two brackets holding the assembly. Yes, availability was one factor that I chose this monitor.

• Thanks for the post. I think Im going to try this. I have one question though. I noticed that the LG 32MP58HQ has a actual screen size of 31.5" not 32". Is the LG smaller than the original monitor? Im not home to check my vewlix so it may actually have a 31.5" screen also. I was just wondering if any of the new monitor frame was visible through the glass. Or if you only see the screen.
    • Hadouken Arcade wrote:

radiantsvgun wrote:

I just used thin electrical tape from 3M. I have to find out what foam part number I'll be using since I used scrapped fire retardant foams from work. 1" height foam worked out well. I haven't shopped around but you can purchase from mcmaster(link). Does L AMI version has the chassis that I used? My vewlix L only has two brackets holding the assembly. Yes, availability was one factor that I chose this monitor.

I am not sure if it does, Ami can have a wei-ya or a tft. I ordered the lcd and some mounting tape, and I’m off this weekend so I will give it a try.
    • radiantsvgun wrote:

Hadouken Arcade wrote:

radiantsvgun wrote:

I am not sure if it does, Ami can have a wei-ya or a tft. I ordered the lcd and some mounting tape, and I’m off this weekend so I will give it a try.
      Make sure to do a burn-in test before you start disassembling the monitor :D

muell67 wrote:

It looks like the LG 32MP58HQ is a older model would the LG 32ML600M-B be a better choice? Its only slightly more money.
      Not necessary old but different. It is using a panel with HDR. You can use concept that I did though. I chose 32MP58HQ because it has been manufactured for quite a while and available anywhere.
    • I would not personally put any panel in a cab without knowing exactly what the input lag was first. Something to keep in mind before you just grab any panel that fits. Being a 'newer' model doesn't mean it's better in that respect. The marketing page claims low lag for the LG 32ML600M-B but doesn't even list a spec (the grey to grey response they list isn't the same thing).

displaylag.com/exposed-input-lag-vs-response-time/

This is gonna be a personal preference thing, but for me anything that's not strictly sub frame lag from the center of the screen isn't acceptable for an arcade monitor.
    • Aurich wrote:

I would not personally put any panel in a cab without knowing exactly what the input lag was first. Something to keep in mind before you just grab any panel that fits. Being a 'newer' model doesn't mean it's better in that respect. The marketing page claims low lag for the LG 32ML600M-B but doesn't even list a spec (the grey to grey response they list isn't the same thing).

displaylag.com/exposed-input-lag-vs-response-time/

This is gonna be a personal preference thing, but for me anything that's not strictly sub frame lag from the center of the screen isn't acceptable for an arcade monitor.
      I hear you, I have a black diamond monitor in my blue diamond. If I can put this in my AMI successfully I will put the monitor through some tests- compare the two and see how it measures up.
    • I thought @Derick2k had measured the lag of the Sanwa Vewlix LCD next to the New New (aka Diamond Black) LCD.
      I can't seem to find that post atm so maybe he'll pop in and repost the results.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)