What's new
Going off of the testing methodology that DisplayLag.com uses, I got some results
https://displaylag.com/testing-method/

The middle bar reading was giving me a reading from 8.6 ms to 8.8 ms.
Okay, now we're cooking. That's a really good result.
No ghosting issues either. Only issues that I've run into is that 32 inches a bit large for 1080p computer usage. 1080p at 32 inches don't stand a chance with 1440p/4k monitors.

But to replace my really old 720p screens in my vewlix? I'm game

Reactions: nem
But to replace my really old 720p screens in my vewlix? I'm game
That ^

Depending on which model Vewlix/LCD you have, even 10~15ms might still be considered an upgrade.
A reading of 8.6~8.8ms is really very good, worth the swap IMO.

But to replace my really old 720p screens in my vewlix?
So I'm curious, which vewlix monitor do you have, and how does it measure using the same method?

Keep in mind that 'zero lag' CRTs just mean there's no extra lag in the draw. It still takes a frame to sweep the beam from top to bottom. So the 'zero' is at the top, and at the bottom is 16.6ms.

So even on a CRT if you take the reading from the middle of the screen you're gonna see 8ms. It can be confusing because we often mix readings from the top and the middle in these discussions.

So just based on my slow motion video comparison I would guess my blue and white Diamonds are going to give you 24-26ms in the center of the screen.

In comparison, the new taito screens (1080p) do 14-17ms in the middle region from what I remember testing, so not terrible, and they are uniform with no noticeable backlight bleed, etc...they are also darker in appearance, the older/earlier appear to look like more of really dark gray or like a haze I guess because of the protective coatings etc.. on the front glass.

Last edited:
I told you :D

I also got this from YouTube

Don't know if this is accurate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928-083409.png
    Screenshot_20190928-083409.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Screenshot_20190928-083427.png
    Screenshot_20190928-083427.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I also got this from YouTube

Don't know if this is accurate
Read my comment above.

Basically there are two schools of input lag measurement. One is measure from the top, because it gives you the 'extra' lag from processing and the screen, vs the standard, which is a CRT. So a 2ms measurement at the top means the screen lags 2ms behind what a CRT would do.

Another school likes to measure from the center of the screen, because that's where we're looking, and more closely represents real world usage. But keep in mind a CRT would give you 8ms at the middle. A frame draw is a frame draw.

It really doesn't matter which one you use, you just can't directly compare the two without noting where the measurement was taken. If someone says I got 2ms at the top, and someone else says I got 10ms at the center, then congrats, you both measured the same lag.

@Hadouken Arcade now that you had a successful external installation. Will you open up an order list? I am ready to move forward and I know more people (local to me) who are interested.

@Hadouken Arcade now that you had a successful external installation. Will you open up an order list? I am ready to move forward and I know more people (local to me) who are interested.
Thanks for the interest. Yes, I'm working on getting the drawing cleaned up for manufacturing. I'm behind writing up a compatibility check because some vewlix with modern display won't work with this. I'm also seeking which shipping method would work better since it's practically a 32" monitor size bracket so i need to source a big box or make something out of a cardboard box.

Thanks for the interest. Yes, I'm working on getting the drawing cleaned up for manufacturing. I'm behind writing up a compatibility check because some vewlix with modern display won't work with this. I'm also seeking which shipping method would work better since it's practically a 32" monitor size bracket so i need to source a big box or make something out of a cardboard box.
Awesome, have a rough estimate? Weeks, months, etc? Looking to buy a gutted L soon and pop one of these monitors in.

Why not have your manufacturer pack each one ready for shipping? Might be cheaper than you getting your own boxes, filler, etc...maybe.

Why not have your manufacturer pack each one ready for shipping?
I suspect demand is going to be pretty high, so I would want to seek a partner on the East Coast and one or two for Euro.
Someone who could receive a bulk shipment of these directly from the factory, and handle localized (pack/ship) distribution.

Awesome, have a rough estimate? Weeks, months, etc? Looking to buy a gutted L soon and pop one of these monitors in.
Probably within a month? Currently checking with a vendor. Don't forget you still need the 4 frame covers and the glass.

Why not have your manufacturer pack each one ready for shipping? Might be cheaper than you getting your own boxes, filler, etc...maybe.
Normally they wouldn't but doesn't hurt to ask. I've been hoarding shipping materials from work so shouldn't be so bad.

I checked USPS and shipping to IL came out to be ~$60 so it's not that bad to ship domestically individually. For international, I'm considering using the vendor in korea since they can directly ship out. They're flexible so they might be able to include screws and etc with the bracket. When did USPS international shipping price go up so crazy? Last time I shipped a large flat rate box it was like $55 and now it's $96 lol

Probably within a month? Currently checking with a vendor. Don't forget you still need the 4 frame covers and the glass.
Normally they wouldn't but doesn't hurt to ask. I've been hoarding shipping materials from work so shouldn't be so bad.
I checked USPS and shipping to IL came out to be ~$60 so it's not that bad to ship domestically individually. For international, I'm considering using the vendor in korea since they can directly ship out. They're flexible so they might be able to include screws and etc with the bracket. When did USPS international shipping price go up so crazy? Last time I shipped a large flat rate box it was like $55 and now it's $96 lol
https://reason.com/2019/05/10/post-service-lost-2-billion-in-three-months/

Maybe because of this

Don't forget you still need the 4 frame covers and the glass.
Just wanted to echo this statement, as more than one person has told me they will seek a gutted Vewlix for cheap.
You NEED parts from the original LCD!

So yea, save a buck buying a Vewlix with a dead LCD if you intend to purchase a bracket/new one... But don't buy a gutted one!

Looking forward to this. Ive already had the LG monitor for awhile now.

Don't forget you still need the 4 frame covers and the glass.
Just wanted to echo this statement, as more than one person has told me they will seek a gutted Vewlix for cheap.You NEED parts from the original LCD!

So yea, save a buck buying a Vewlix with a dead LCD if you intend to purchase a bracket/new one... But don't buy a gutted one!
Yes, had to tell several peeps not to buy a gutted vewlix without the screen, even if they intend to put in their own screen.

where are people even finding these "gutted vewlix"? I dont think I've ever seen one for sale.

where are people even finding these "gutted vewlix"? I dont think I've ever seen one for sale.
I know KC received a few busted screen machines, that's why he made the "any Vewlix part for sale" offer thread a few months back (he was stirpping them).

Perfectly reasonable to me that some of these original Vewlix F cabs are starting to have the monitors die.
The machine launched in 2008, so its been 11 years and these early LCDs weren't known for lasting decades (by comparison CRTs have a much much longer life span).

I'll be subscribed and keeping an eye out. It's great to see a solution to this issue for sure. Disassembling the LCDs to clean off the flor. tubes and trying to deal with the internal yellow/fan bs was lame.

Back