What's new
This... this is just the grossest misunderstanding as to how monitor refresh rates work.
It's too much to explain in this small space. But it has nooooothing to do with how the game work.

Please do research. The frequency at which games sync and the speed at which monitors refresh are not remotely related to one another. You will ALWAYS benefit by having higher refresh rates on the screen. Always.
Please explain, especially your last point. As far as I understand it, if your input signal is 60hz (at least over DVI/HDMI), the frame will always finish scanning at a minimum of ~16ms. While some displays scan faster (not all! I've owned a 144hz BenQ that scanned like a 60hz monitor when given a 60hz signal), they're still limited by the signal coming in. Am I misunderstanding how HDMI/DVI works, or am I missing something else?
This is the shape of a 2x integer scaled pixel array.
The bulbous arrays create a perfect square and is much sharper looking than a native pixel array
The problem is that displays still perform a bilinear filter even when scaling a multiple of their native resolution, so every other pixel (in the best case. worst case is if the display samples everything but the center of a pixel) is a mixture of the pixels around it. 1080p signals are noticeably soft/blurry looking on 4k displays. Until we have a 1080p line doubler, we'll be at the mercy of built-in scalers.
I like turtles..

looks like there isn't many options for a 32 inch 1080p gaming monitor that isn't curved. I guess i'd have to settle for a normal one.

https://www.newegg.com/lg-32ma68hy-31-5/p/N82E16824025428?Item=9SIAFVF9MU2772

this one looks alright and it's affordable

i like Asus monitors but they don't a have a flat one at 32 inches, they are selling an old model at ebay but it's expensive and it isn't Vesa mount compatible

This... this is just the grossest misunderstanding as to how monitor refresh rates work.
It's too much to explain in this small space. But it has nooooothing to do with how the game work.

Please do research. The frequency at which games sync and the speed at which monitors refresh are not remotely related to one another. You will ALWAYS benefit by having higher refresh rates on the screen. Always.
Please explain, especially your last point. As far as I understand it, if your input signal is 60hz (at least over DVI/HDMI), the frame will always finish scanning at a minimum of ~16ms. While some displays scan faster (not all! I've owned a 144hz BenQ that scanned like a 60hz monitor when given a 60hz signal), they're still limited by the signal coming in. Am I misunderstanding how HDMI/DVI works, or am I missing something else?
The bulbous arrays create a perfect square and is much sharper looking than a native pixel array
The problem is that displays still perform a bilinear filter even when scaling a multiple of their native resolution, so every other pixel (in the best case. worst case is if the display samples everything but the center of a pixel) is a mixture of the pixels around it. 1080p signals are noticeably soft/blurry looking on 4k displays. Until we have a 1080p line doubler, we'll be at the mercy of built-in scalers.
@rewrite please explain what you mean. Are you talking about benefits in terms of tearing? Smeariness? Smoothing? I would assume a 60 Hz VRR display with good response time will produce an image about as good as a high (120, 144, whatever) Hz VRR display. I'm curious what improvements you get if the underlying framerate feeding the display is identical, and assuming you can eliminate tearing with G- or Freesync.

@hoagtech I'm talking about the filtering that occurs between lines in a 1080p to 4K upscale. Imagine pixel A1 is red and A2 is blue at 1080p. At 4K, those positions are scaled to A1 and A3. The new A2 between will be interpolated as some color between red and blue, depending on the manufacturer's filtering algorithm. So yes, the pixel structure is sharper, but the resultant image will have artificial changes unless there is a nearest neighbor scaling algorithm being applied. As for content, I plan to use a PC with my Vewlix, as I have CRT cabs for 15 kHz and 31 kHz stuff. What benefit would there be to using a 4K display for that kind of stuff with an OSSC, when the OSSC tops at 1080p (not counting the 'secret' higher res modes that some people use for capture)? You'll still run into interpolation when upscaling the OSSC output to the monitor res.

32MP58HQ got, bracket pre-ordered. 8)
Looking forward to playing my Vewlix with a nice clear screen, rathern than a slightly dull screen with horizontal sooty lines!
If anyone in the UK happens to be after one let me know. I ordered two, as shipping was the same and the 10% discount made it/them a fair amount cheaper.

@Hadouken Arcade

- 4 short black screws and 4 washers to install the sub-bracket to the back of the monitor.

- 6 M4 screws to attach the main bracket to the Vewlix monitor frame.

- 4 M6 screws and 4 washers to attach the main bracket to the sub-bracket.

- 4 M6 screws to attach the cover to the main bracket.

What are these longer black screws for?

https://imgur.com/a/6HduusB

@Hadouken Arcade

- 4 short black screws and 4 washers to install the sub-bracket to the back of the monitor.

- 6 M4 screws to attach the main bracket to the Vewlix monitor frame.

- 4 M6 screws and 4 washers to attach the main bracket to the sub-bracket.

- 4 M6 screws to attach the cover to the main bracket.

What are these longer black screws for?

https://imgur.com/a/6HduusB
It's for the VESA mount. Some monitors need longer screws.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had issues with the antiglare coating on your replacement monitor causing an annoying moire when placed behind the built in antiglare coating of the Vewlix's protective glass? I've been playing around with the idea of replacing the monitor in my Vewlix Diamond and my Lindbergh cabinet, and the monitor that I've been testing with shows a grainy rainbow moire pattern when placed against the glass. It looks like this.
A3w54yz.jpg
524iiww.jpg

I hate that anti-glare coating, I've removed it from both of my upgraded monitors.
Yes it dose make them mirror like in the sun/day light, but A) I do most of my arcade gaming in the evenings and B) it looks soooo much better without it.

IMG_5170.jpg
IMG_5174.jpg

Came home from work and saw these boxes in front of the door. There was no major design change but I needed to verify the design since the thickness has changed.

I replaced my own monitor P32L150 (diamond blue monitor) and it fits exactly the same. I still have to do some measurements but it looks great! Overall weight came out to be 8.5lb (3.8kg) which is still within range.

Once I stage the setup, I'll start sending out shipments.

On this revision,
  • Improved compatibility for VS vewlix
  • Material changed to stainless 1.5t
  • Changed tap thread to self-clinching nut
  • Added support for Chewlix - Tentative, will verify this weekend
Created part for VESA bracket 100X100

Attachments

• IMG_5172.JPG
    IMG_5172.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 279
Just out of curiosity has anyone had issues with the antiglare coating on your replacement monitor causing an annoying moire when placed behind the built in antiglare coating of the Vewlix's protective glass? I've been playing around with the idea of replacing the monitor in my Vewlix Diamond and my Lindbergh cabinet, and the monitor that I've been testing with shows a grainy rainbow moire pattern when placed against the glass. It looks like this.
A3w54yz.jpg
524iiww.jpg
I don't seem to have that issue with the LG 32MP58HQ-P in my C. I did clean the glass and left the anti-glare, but probably not related to that issue. Either way once again super happy with the change!

@rewrite please explain what you mean. Are you talking about benefits in terms of tearing? Smeariness? Smoothing? I would assume a 60 Hz VRR display with good response time will produce an image about as good as a high (120, 144, whatever) Hz VRR display. I'm curious what improvements you get if the underlying framerate feeding the display is identical, and assuming you can eliminate tearing with G- or Freesync.
@hoagtech I'm talking about the filtering that occurs between lines in a 1080p to 4K upscale. Imagine pixel A1 is red and A2 is blue at 1080p. At 4K, those positions are scaled to A1 and A3. The new A2 between will be interpolated as some color between red and blue, depending on the manufacturer's filtering algorithm. So yes, the pixel structure is sharper, but the resultant image will have artificial changes unless there is a nearest neighbor scaling algorithm being applied. As for content, I plan to use a PC with my Vewlix, as I have CRT cabs for 15 kHz and 31 kHz stuff. What benefit would there be to using a 4K display for that kind of stuff with an OSSC, when the OSSC tops at 1080p (not counting the 'secret' higher res modes that some people use for capture)? You'll still run into interpolation when upscaling the OSSC output to the monitor res.
@rewrite I'm still puzzling over this. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm genuinely curious about your response. You said "please do research", but you didn't give me much besides saying how game fps is unrelated to monitor refresh rates. I understand that, but I haven't found much definitive data on what that means in practice. For example, lets say you had a freesync display that could adjust between 20 and 144 Hz. I take this to mean that the monitor will adjust it's physical refresh rate to match whatever the computer is feeding it. So, if you're playing Street Fighter V at a locked 60 fps, would that not cause the VRR display to sync itself down to 60 Hz? I really want to understand what you are saying and not be boxing myself into something subpar, but I can't find anything that says going above 60 Hz helps for a game with a locked 60 fps framerate. Please at least point me to some reading material that can clear up any confusion I might have on this subject.

Edit: well I found one interesting link like a minute later. That's my bad for not looking hard enough:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync...-SYNC's,otherwise be impossible to reproduce.

Reducing input lag via reduced scanout speed is interesting. I didn't think the display would still be processing information at the 144 Hz or whatever it's max rate is while displaying at 60. Very interesting.

but I can't find anything that says going above 60 Hz helps for a game with a locked 60 fps framerate. Please at least point me to some reading material that can clear up any confusion I might have on this subject.
You won't find anything that says it 100%... But this is a pretty good read on the subject.

Frame Rate FPS vs Refresh Rate

Does that mean that your frame rate is limited by your screen’s refresh rate? No; they are two separate things. Remember that FPS is how many frames your gaming computer is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times the monitor is refreshing the image on the screen. The refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor does not affect the frame rate (FPS) your GPU will be outputting. However, if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate, your display will not be able to display all of the frames your computer is producing, so although the refresh rate doesn’t technically limit the frame rate, it does effectively set a cap.

but I can't find anything that says going above 60 Hz helps for a game with a locked 60 fps framerate. Please at least point me to some reading material that can clear up any confusion I might have on this subject.
You won't find anything that says it 100%... But this is a pretty good read on the subject.
Frame Rate FPS vs Refresh Rate

Does that mean that your frame rate is limited by your screen’s refresh rate? No; they are two separate things. Remember that FPS is how many frames your gaming computer is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times the monitor is refreshing the image on the screen. The refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor does not affect the frame rate (FPS) your GPU will be outputting. However, if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate, your display will not be able to display all of the frames your computer is producing, so although the refresh rate doesn’t technically limit the frame rate, it does effectively set a cap.
Thanks @jassin000, but isn't that portion you quoted basically describing when a lower Hz monitor is bottlenecking a higher FPS game? That's completely true, and I never meant to imply that there's no value to 120, 144, 240 or whatever high refresh rate displays. I was just describing the limited situation of having a game with a locked FPS (typical of fighters that depend on set 60 fps frame times) not benefiting from a monitor with a higher refresh rate. The only thing I have found so far was the article in my edit describing scanout duration and reduced input lag. This chart shows it pretty well:
blur-busters-gsync-101-60hz-60fps-vs-144hz-60fps.png

I did test fitting on one of three chewlix types. This one has the back wide opened.

Chewlix only need two parts instead of three like Vewlix. Thus price will be cheaper.

Only Rev. B (current) and later revision will work.

Click to enlarge.

IMG_5193.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg

Chewlix case inner dimension is slightly bigger than vewlix case so spacers will be added to between the case and bracket.

IMG_5199.jpeg
IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

Will the bracket work for these chewlixs? I highly think it will but haven't confirm yet.

unnamed.png

Photo credit to Arcade Otaku mRCaESaR and Kavas

If you have one of these Chewlix, please contact me.

Attachments

• IMG_5194.jpeg
    IMG_5194.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5205.jpeg
    IMG_5205.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I did test fitting on one of three chewlix types. This one has the back wide opened.

Chewlix only need two parts instead of three like Vewlix. Thus price will be cheaper.

Only Rev. B (current) and later revision will work.

Click to enlarge.

IMG_5193.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg

Chewlix case inner dimension is slightly bigger than vewlix case so spacers will be added to between the case and bracket.

IMG_5199.jpeg
IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

Will the bracket work for these chewlixs? I highly think it will but haven't confirm yet.

unnamed.png

Photo credit to Arcade Otaku mRCaESaR and Kavas

If you have one of these Chewlix, please contact me.
You have a PM @Hadouken Arcade - I have the top one and the cross bar one
Anyone got a notation on which type is like the one's that Anthony is selling over on FB? I'm thinking about getting one of those eventually, and wanted to be prepared.

I think the one he's got is like the first pic - empty backing, but worthwhile double checking with him

I believe the ones that have the back plate were one of the original clones from many years back - ie. closer to the original

Then came the cross bar version - cheaper to manufacter

And finally the last ones which don't have any bars/plates across - again, seems like a cost cutting reason.

Yeah, you can tell Chewlix has "evolved" and eventually a knockoff version of chewlix was born.

Ha1a3b6fa6ba04d6d97216b7026cf51f3W.jpg

Capture.PNG

Photo credit to FB Taito Vewlix/Chewlix Owner’s Group - Ken Huang

Possible to create a part for this but not for now.

Back