What's new
Just got my LG panel in. Very happy with the quality, this is so much nicer looking that my old FC panel, which I’m gonna call “old yellow” from now on.

My glass panel on the front looks like there's dust and makes the picture blurry in some places. Is it possible to clean that off? If so, I plan on doing that when I get the bracket :).

Vewlix glass has an anti-glare texture over it, you cannot clean it off.

But you probably have actual dust too, just open it up and clean it and find out. You can't be shy about taking things apart if you're contemplating a monitor swap anyways.

Vewlix glass has an anti-glare texture over it, you cannot clean it off.

But you probably have actual dust too, just open it up and clean it and find out. You can't be shy about taking things apart if you're contemplating a monitor swap anyways.
I took mine apart; when looking at the panel in the cabinet, there are 'waves' of dust that looks like burn or dust.

My panel's "glass" had black tape around it, which wasn't what I was expecting. I thought there would be a free-floating piece of Plexi on top of the panel, but that was not the case. How do I take that glass off, if I can?

I tried cleaning the glass as much as I could, but there's definitely some sort of residue on the glass/burn in on the monitor or something that I can't get rid of

I tried cleaning the glass as much as I could, but there's definitely some sort of residue on the glass/burn in on the monitor or something that I can't get rid of
Try a combo of ronsonol lighter fluid and then isopropyl alcohol. That's pretty good at stripping layers of residue without damaging the material.
Do NOT use acetone! It will haze plexiglass and dull/crack plastics.

I see this monitor now going out of stock in a lot of places. Should have picked it up when it was available for $170! Has it been EOL'd? If so, I wonder if LG's replacement will fit the bracket.

I see this monitor now going out of stock in a lot of places. Should have picked it up when it was available for $170! Has it been EOL'd? If so, I wonder if LG's replacement will fit the bracket.
Seems like it. Looks like this is the replacement. Hopefully it uses the same case.

Seems like it. Looks like this is the replacement. Hopefully it uses the same case.
does the P stands for PIP mode? i didn't even noticed it until you mentioned it I was about to buy it

does the P stands for PIP mode? i didn't even noticed it until you mentioned it I was about to buy it
Picture In Picture

Upgrade complete! Super happy with the end result - much better picture and it's so much quieter without those two fans in the old display.

EH67MqFUYAEvqq5
EH7dvHPU8AEv28s
EH7rK7IVAAAuAZE

Very nice and neat work, I am tempted to do this..

How bad was your monitor? mine is sharp but compared to modern displays not great colours and some horizontal banding on white backgrounds.

There's a pre-order of this bracket already? I didn't know.

Folks that have done this swap: do you think the 31.5" AOC Q3279VWFD8 would work well for this? It's a bit smaller but there's a great deal on it.

So- the fans pull in cig smoke and dust, the flor tubes bake the diffusion layer, and age yellows some of the stuff in there. There's a way to clean the stuff- you can get things several shades lighter- but it requires methodical disassembly of the LCD- the LCD layer, the 2 smaller thinner films, the diffusion layer, and the CCFL bulb enclosure. Takes a few hours. If you don't have the patience or the time- the second best thing is removing the monitor, getting to remove the glass and clean the backside. The LCD layer is usually okay-ish.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 246
Back