What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
So here is the scenario..

I want to mount my Neo Geo single slot (with 161 in 1 cart) to a backing board with all the extra boards (coin counter, memory and aux audio) and what not. The Neo Geo board supports four buttons per player. The JAMMA harness in the blast city only supports 3 buttons per player. I do have the extra button harness installed which gives me the other 3 buttons per player with a CPS2 connector to plug into the PCBs to pick up the extra buttons. All of this passes through the cabinet I/O board.

Soooo what would be the best non-intrusive way to pick up the 4th button?

So after I posted this .. I remembered I have a JNX Atlas made by @XianXi . Maybe it will work? It has a CPS2 kick harness adapter, but I seem to remember hearing something about the speakers and how they are connected to the JAMMA connector.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful!

If you plug in the kick harness it will route button 4 to short kick on a 6 button layout. Also puts select on button 5.

Not sure what you are saying about the speakers, the Atlas is 100% passthrough for audio and video though.

Hrm yeah I guess mine is not standard then. buttons 1-3 for each player are done off the standard harness and 4-6 are done off the extra button harness through the Blast City I/O using CN8 with a CPS2 connector .

This seems to work fine for everything else so I do not want to change it if I can help it. I would rather change the PCB or use an adapter if possible.

*EDIT*

Oh wait you are saying it will auto route buttons 4 and 5 to the JAMMA harness from the extra button connector?

All the Blasts I've had convey four buttons with no trouble through the stock control panel wiring and JAMMA harness. No need for the extra button wiring. Maybe yours has some aftermarket parts if it does not do this?

Oh wait you are saying it will auto route buttons 4 and 5 to the JAMMA harness from the extra button connector?
The problem is you're mixing up the two. Buttons 4 and 5 from the jamma edge (pins 25 & 26) go to the standard player 1 and player 2 connectors under the CP. You just need the correct control panel harness, the one that looks like this:

cp_harness.jpg

Pin 9 on the harness is button 4, pin 10 is button 5. The above harness is fully wired, it has all five buttons.

The auxiliary button connector on the IO board, CN8, is routed to the 10 pin connector under the CP. It isn't in any way connected to the jamma harness.

I recently picked up a Blast City and have a 2 Slot MVS Board. Is it safe to connect it and power it up for play? I just want to play something in the meantime while I get my Naomi up.

Yeah seemed to work fine to me :) However mine is a single slot. Not really sure what the difference is other than the extra button to switch games. The only thing I was missing at the time was the 4th button.

Single slots are JAMMA. 2/4/6 slots are not. Something to do with the audio. And I know you can damage things in one direction or the other, but don't remember which, ha. I've had multi-slots in dedicated MVS cabs for long enough now I can't remember...

So don't plug in the 2 slot till someone more knowledgeable says something!

If you happen to live near sacramento I have a 1 slot I don’t use you can borrow if you want.

Will any one slot Neo Geo MVS work or do I need a specific model?

Single slots are JAMMA. 2/4/6 slots are not. Something to do with the audio. And I know you can damage things in one direction or the other, but don't remember which, ha.
You can definitely damage Jamma games in an MVS cab, can overheat your audio amp. I don't know if there's a problem going the other way. I always run my Jamma games in my Neo Candy 29 with an adapter just to be safe.

Depending on the cab, some are already wired to be able to accept the slightly modified version of JAMMA that dedicated MVS cabs use. For example my Astro can and has run 4 slots with no issues (and with sound) and Supergun creators will often do the same on their devices (for example the HAS and Sentinel are both a-ok to run multi slots on, and will even support the stereo sound output!)

JAMMA in a dedicated MVS cab is a big nono though - you need an adapter such as the one made by JNX

Back