What's new
I installed your ESP Ra.De. freeplay ROMs last week, looks like I'll be installing your Metal Black ones this weekend :D

Static "Press Start" screens
I was setting up SNK Search and Rescue on my cab today.

I noticed the JP and World versions do not have FreePlay mode, only the USA version. and unfortunately it has a static screen/no attract mode when FreePlay is active. :(

the trick used at trade shows is to set the games to 1coin-1play.
then put a microswitch behind the coin-reject button/lever to clock up credits.

the trick used at trade shows is to set the games to 1coin-1play.
then put a microswitch behind the coin-reject button/lever to clock up credits.
That doesn't solve the goal here.

the goal here is to not have the game stuck on a static screen and potentially cause burn-in on the monitor

Some games with freeplay will show a static screen when in freeplay mode.

And some games without freeplay will show a static screen once credits have been added before the start button is pushed.

In that second scenario if you add a credit button people are going to just load up credits, and when they're done playing if there are still credits on the game it's going to go back to that static screen and cause burn-in.

Last edited:
Pump it Up Exceed and Exceed 2 (maybe others?) have the static "Press Start" behavior. Being that this is a more recent game, idk how this will be patched.

Can I just say that Turbo Out Run has one of the dumbest interpretations of free play I've seen? You set it on Free Play and it continuously starts a new game for you. So basically, you boot it up, it starts a new game, the timer runs out, it game overs, it shows the high score screen for a brief moment, and then it goes back to new game. Rinse and repeat.

I guess the OG Out Run was like this too, but luckily there's the Sega Enhanced romhack for it. It's the first thing I did to my board.

i thought you had to start the game with a button???

I believe king of monsters mvs has static freeplay the demo doesnt run just sets at screen. Cant use it in multi slot wont shift to next game uh unless you hit select.

Reactions: nem
Oh shit, I had no idea. Was thinking of getting a cart of it too. I just checked it in Mame, and it does indeed do that. I tried with different BIOSes too. What the hell? I haven't seen that with other NeoGeo games.

i thought you had to start the game with a button???
Nope!

The real ghostbusters doesn't have a freeplay option. There are 2 versions. 2player and 3player. So even if you make a harness to link 3rd player to another cab it won't work because candy xabs only have 1 coin slot.

A freeplay option would let you safely use both version of the game in 1 or 2 cabs.

You can add Aurail to the list:

aurail_free_play.png

Pump it Up Exceed and Exceed 2 (maybe others?) have the static "Press Start" behavior. Being that this is a more recent game, idk how this will be patched.
Yeah, Prime 2015 does this too. Super annoying.

Guwange sits on a static screen, the only Cave game I recall doing this with free play on.

How about a jamma adaptor with a timer that pull start after a while, if no one is playing? The game will eventually go back to that screen because the game is over (losing lifes, losing times).
At least this solution gives a cicle to the screen.
I remember i saw something on youtube for an X-men cabinet, maybe you can do something similar

0000.png
0000.png

Above are pics of Big Run and Cisco Heat from Jaleco when set to free play. Static images and background music that plays even if you have demo sound set to OFF.

Last edited:
Back