What's new

eathis

Student
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Like many of you I got a Superbios CPS3 set (thanks to Darksoft and Mitsurugi) but I would love to have CPS3 games desuicide exactly like original games.

Exactly like original games? Not really.
I would love to have my CPS3 games desuicide like CPS2 games.

What could be awesome:
_Games 100% like the original ones (nothing more, nothing less, or maybe only "Darksoft version" wrote at the beginning when you turn ON the game)
_No batteries anymore
_No suicide anymore (like on the Superbios version)
_Games still running with original games CD.
_Only the original game can be run on the card (not possible to choose another game, like original)

Superbios is really cool but I would really love to have something more closer to original version in whole aspect.

What do you think about it guys?
I am the only one who would love to see it, and ready pay for it?

@ Darksoft = Do you think you can do it?^^

Thanks for your comments guys

The 1st point without Darksoft text is doable and is not a problem. The no batteries anymore is already achieved with the current cartridges.
In order to get games running from original CDs you need to either A) Put back keys inside custom SH2 CPU or B) Decrypt on the fly which is something VERY time consuming which is not in my plans tbh.

About only original game can be run...well then it's not a multi....As I said, for what you are asking you'd need to get the keys back in the cartridge which is something I don't plan to do, but keep an eye to Edcross projects. I believe he has in on his agenda.

The 1st point without Darksoft text is doable and is not a problem. The no batteries anymore is already achieved with the current cartridges.
In order to get games running from original CDs you need to either A) Put back keys inside custom SH2 CPU or B) Decrypt on the fly which is something VERY time consuming which is not in my plans tbh.

About only original game can be run...well then it's not a multi....As I said, for what you are asking you'd need to get the keys back in the cartridge which is something I don't plan to do, but keep an eye to Edcross projects. I believe he has in on his agenda.
Oh really? I tried to modify the image file for the CD, but when I put the microSD card in, the CPS3 system said that it was an invalid CD. Guessing there's a CRC that also needs to be hex-edited in addition to removing the added "DARKSOFT" text?

Yes, there is a CRC, which is just a byte by byte addition, so if you add all the bytes one by one (3A+5F+4E+00+FA) at the end you get a number i.e. 3A4F52EE. The last byte (EE) is the important one. Make all the changes, check again the CRC and modify as needed so you get the same last byte.

Yes, there is a CRC, which is just a byte by byte addition, so if you add all the bytes one by one (3A+5F+4E+00+FA) at the end you get a number i.e. 3A4F52EE. The last byte (EE) is the important one. Make all the changes, check again the CRC and modify as needed so you get the same last byte.
Oh awesome. Thanks Darksoft. That's something that even a programming plebian like myself is able to understand and do. :)

Just one thing I want to make sure is done right. Are there any specific areas in the ISO that absolutely should NOT be modified? I'm guessing that in order to get the last byte of the CRC Check to match up, I need to modify some other "blank" areas in the file. I just want to be certain that these modifications won't cause problems with actual game data, so I'm just changing the 00 bytes in the very top of the .iso file to get that CRC to match up.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that thanks to Darksoft's post up above, I was able to successfully go in and remove the "-DARKSOFT" label from the boot screens by simply overwriting the modified values with 00 in a hex editor. Prior to doing any modifications in WinHex, I obtained the CRC 32 value of the file. Made my mods and then, in order to get the CRC to match, I used a little tool I found here: https://github.com/rr-/CRC-manipulator With the tool, you just input the file you are going to "fix", then enter in what the proper CRC Value should be. It will append a few bytes to the very end of the file in order to get the CRC to match.

Once done, went in and formatted the SD card as i did before, and plugged it in. My previous install of 3rd Strike booted up just fine. I went into the test menu to re-write the game, but it said that i did not have a valid CD. So instead I went into the Darksoft BIOS menu and decided to re-write the game there. (After five minutes of desparately trying to land on the Third Strike A selection. lol). 45 minutes or so later, and the game booted right up without the - DARKSOFT appendage.

Thank you for your help with this Darksoft. I'm loving my CPS2 and CPS3 suicide freedom. :D

Just wanted to say that thanks to Darksoft's post up above, I was able to successfully go in and remove the "-DARKSOFT" label from the boot screens
You are welcome...I guess :) :)

Just wanted to say that thanks to Darksoft's post up above, I was able to successfully go in and remove the "-DARKSOFT" label from the boot screens
You are welcome...I guess :) :)
Haha. Well, for a non-programmer like me, being able to do this is quite an accomplishment. It's like if somehow Stephen Hawking won the 100 yard dash. (Yes, I'm evil).

I think the "I guess" was directed at removing his credit from the bootup screen.

It was mainly intended to prevent people from passing off a (de)suicided cart as a legit battery enabled cart.

I think the "I guess" was directed at removing his credit from the bootup screen.

It was mainly intended to prevent people from passing off a (de)suicided cart as a legit battery enabled cart.
Oh yeah, I definitely understand that. There's no plan to ever sell this off. It was just one of those OCD things.

I hear you. It's one reason I prefer the 'clean' Avalaunch CPS2 roms over their phoenix equivalents.
Bingo. And that's what led me to find Darksoft and his work. Had never been into the CPS arcade scene due to the suicide batteries.

I still need to find time to attempt to fix the ROM test checksums in the test menu on the CPS3 multi CD.

Unless of course anyone else wants to have a go... ;)

I still need to find time to attempt to fix the ROM test checksums in the test menu on the CPS3 multi CD.

Unless of course anyone else wants to have a go... ;)
Please be my guest :)

IIRC you just need to update the CRC as per the tables included in my source code.

Back