What's new
yes, that is correct, there are already solutions for HDD but not CD/DVD. We need a solution for IDE optical drives.

yes, that is correct, there are already solutions for HDD but not CD/DVD. We need a solution for IDE optical drives.
I completely understand. Just posted in response to Dions old post.

I also would love to see this happen sooner than later.

ide emulation seems hard to do considering dreamcast drives use ide err ata

I think if it were just ide it'd be done already. I mean they made IDE to CF and IDE to SATA etc.

the problem is the 246 games that use the ATAPI protocol which is specific to disc drives.

the most promising solution IMO is the one being worked on by the guys who made the SCSI to SD device that we use on CPS3

I wish a hardware ATAPI emulator was made so I could use it in a DOS machine to play those games that use redbook audio using images instead of physical discs.

Wasnt somebody working on something for the 246? Not a drive emulator but something else.

the most promising solution IMO is the one being worked on by the guys who made the SCSI to SD device that we use on CPS3
agree. the design factoring is spot on (i talked about scsi2sd v6). stm32 chip for sd data feeder, and lattice for anything else. stm32 chosen for price competitive, for sd license and for sdio capability. lattice chosen for price, imho.
don't know what they're waiting for, but the hardware is already viable to work on.

the design factoring is spot on (i talked about scsi2sd v6). stm32 chip for sd data feeder, and lattice for anything else. stm32 chosen for price competitive, for sd license and for sdio capability. lattice chosen for price, imho.
don't know what they're waiting for, but the hardware is already viable to work on.
I had asked them about it a while back, it sounded like the instruction set was too large for the hardware they were using on SCSI so they had to come up with a new design: IDE CDROM drive hardware emulator

the design factoring is spot on (i talked about scsi2sd v6). stm32 chip for sd data feeder, and lattice for anything else. stm32 chosen for price competitive, for sd license and for sdio capability. lattice chosen for price, imho.
I had asked them about it a while back, it sounded like the instruction set was too large for the hardware they were using on SCSI so they had to come up with a new design: IDE CDROM drive hardware emulator
i had rough calculation back then for FPGA LUTs.
the open source OCIDEC (ide ata) is roughly 1K LUTs.
SD Host Controller needs about 4K LUTs, which is unnecessary when they used stm32.
i guess with anything else about 5K LUTs is maybe enough. I believe the lattice has larger LUTs variant, no need to use 2 lattice.

Back