What's new

glstar

Grand Master
Reaction score
After long time i take care of my SegaSonic board.
I find an original Romboard and the original IO Board.
Last part of the puzzle has been find the cage too….
Then just a matter of cabling everything for three players using the fingerboard of the cage.
WSiq2wPh.jpg

CJY0tSGh.jpg

CUeXuiPh.jpg

CRKHiLHh.jpg

Then the panel….
I polish all the rollers and change the balls with new Happ 2/14" replacement balls.
Result is stunning.
cLShkMih.jpg

qm2mMkFh.jpg

ZhgRQgkh.jpg

Game is really really nice, just the trackballs are a little slow, but that is because of the hardware Sega use.
I hope someone will take over it and find a correct "fix" to make them a little "faster".

yeah, not only the sensitivity is too low, but ones of the axis is more sensitive than the other, something you can clearly tell in the test menu :/

Are you sure polishing the rollers is a good idea ? there needs to be friction between the ball and the rollers for the trackball to work properly.

The game is fully playable and I complete it in 1 credit almost every time now, using the Aero City control panel. You just need to get used to it and you will learn how not to get too tired playing it.

By the way, the balls can be replaced by any standard 2"1/4 billard balls,because that's what they basically are.

I tried having custom encoder wheels printed in 3D with more slots (I tested 36 and 24 slots wheel), for the game to be easier for causal players, but it did not work properly. I'm guessing some 20 or 18 slots wheels may work but i have no proof, and the gain in sensitivity would be minor.

I have 9 sega trackballs spanning 3 generations, and have built many trackball panels. trust me I know what I'm doing ;) To be honest, I believe the issue is more with the system24 encoder daughterboard.

> By the way, the balls can be replaced by any standard 2"1/4 billard balls,because that's what they basically are.

not ANY of the ones I have. they are smaller. the entire enclosure is smaller as a matter of fact, I've already discussed this in another thread. probably my sega sonic repro panel thread.

I have 9 sega trackballs spanning 3 generations, and have built many trackball panels. trust me I know what I'm doing ;) To be honest, I believe the issue is more with the system24 encoder daughterboard.

> By the way, the balls can be replaced by any standard 2"1/4 billard balls,because that's what they basically are.

not ANY of the ones I have. they are smaller. the entire enclosure is smaller as a matter of fact, I've already discussed this in another thread. probably my sega sonic repro panel thread.
You're perfectly right regarding the sensivity, infact my rebuilded panel act exactly that way, smoothly in one direction and less in another.
Regarding the trackballs, i manage to change the original yellowish Sega's with nos Happ 2 1/4 balls.
ZhgRQgkh.jpg

cLShkMih.jpg

hi everybody i have a question to ask can someone here give me the dimension and holes to drill to make a repro thx in advance

Back