What's new

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
I have FF Rhythm game (TTX3), I would like to make a backup of the HDD by cloning it to an image.
What's best method/software to clone the whole HDD that you guys can recommend? Thank you so much

You can use whatever drive backup software you're most comfortable with.

But you need to hotswap the SATA cable from the X3 to your computer after it unlocks in order to do so.

But you need to hotswap the SATA cable from the X3 to your computer after it unlocks in order to do so.
When you mention UNLOCK, what do you mean here? I've thought I am just going to take out the hard drive, put that into my USB HDD Dock reader and make a backup of entire HDD into an image? Or is there something else that I miss here?

I've thought I am just going to take out the hard drive, put that into my USB HDD Dock reader and make a backup of entire HDD into an image?
That won't work. The drive is locked.

When the X3 boots it unlocks the drive for read/write access.

So need to power it while connected to the X3, let the game boot, unplug the SATA cable from the drive, and plug a SATA cable into the drive from the computer you're using /without powering the drive down/.

So if the drive is hooked up while it's powered on, i will be able to unlock it thus i can also access all the files on the partitions?
I've been thinking if there is a way to modify certain files (basically would be good for japanese to english translation project for FF Rhythm )

You'll be able to make a back-up anyway.

As for modifying files, the majority of the file system is encrypted. It's well within the realm of do-able (I know a few users have been elbow deep in X3 for a bit now). But not something that's openly discussed on this forum per the wishes of the admins/owners.

I'd sure love a translation patch, but more-so I'd love to get a patch that saves character progression.

Most of N* stuff already been done, just not for the FF.
The problem with SQEX games - they all use 2 servers - T for N* card stuff and SQ own servers for updates/matching/scores/etc.
While N* stuff is quite standard between all titles - game's own servers could be a bit challenging, especially if original servers are already down.

Also my FF cabinet arrives tomorrow.

Answering the question in OP:
Unlock your HDD, either with ATA password, if you know how to get it, or with old good "XBox" method.
Then simply dd it in Linux to a file. Tried that, including recovering back, it works perfect.

Last edited:
Basically what arcademachnist said.
Theres going to be 2 servers, that handle everything, and no one is going to to touch this stuff untill after the real Nesica service is down, and who knows how many years that can be.

in terms of translation , to remotely do that you need access to the game files, and you wont have that with any kind of DD, or hotswap.

and for any type of saves to work, you need both servers emulated.

the bright side is its a weebo game, and if you need scores and saves that much its on the 3ds. otherwise sol, and will be for quite some time.

Back