What's new

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
This thread will serve as an index for any links to IGS PGM game patches that allow for English text on original game cartridges.

No ROM files will be provided, only xdelta patches that can be applied to your own game ROM using tools like 'xdelta UI'.

DoDonPachi II - Bee Storm
Knights of Valour: Super Heroes
Knights of Valour: Super Heroes Plus
Knights of Valour 2: Nine Dragons
Martial Masters (Also unlocks all characters)

KOV and KOV Plus patches work in MAME but not on real hardware, but can be found here.

The 'Type 3' games (Demon Front, The Gladiator, Killing Blade Plus, Spectral vs Generation, etc) unfortunately will likely never see English patches, as they run almost entirely from the ARM chip and the 68k processor is mostly used for I/O.

Other games like Oriental Legend only change the title screen and no other in game text, so there is little usefulness patching those titles.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for rounding this up and posting. For those games you say won't ever have the patches, would that still apply if someone came up with a multi-cart?

Awesome, thanks for rounding this up and posting. For those games you say won't ever have the patches, would that still apply if someone came up with a multi-cart?
Np! If a multi-cart is developed then it will likely reimplement the ARM chip and you'd be able to select region/language to whatever you want (sort of like you can with MAME already).

I can probably help supply programmed Eproms, OR supply game carts that are already patched.

I did a Marshal Masters patch today. After inspecting the patch... I thought these were stock roms and some one has edited the roms to convert to english. BUT it would seam there just the Stock ENGLISH PROG ROMs from stock english / USA region carts.... (Correct me if these are done by hand) i translated a couple of SNES games from scratch....

IF this is correct, I should be easily able to go through all the English carts i have and dump the PROGRAM ROM from each cart. Since i almost have a complete collection... This SHOULD bring out a lot of roms! I can host them on my site as well....

In theory you COULD go through all the MAME roms... BUT it won't always give you the langue and version number of the rom..... (Which you need)

There is ONLY a few possible issues (And maybe this is how some patches do NOT work on a real cart.)

1. Your not meant to be able to change the region. Its meant to be locked in ARM protection chip. BUT i have swaped around PROGAM ROMs BEFORE.. and have changed the region. Maybe the region is in the ARM ROM and ARM CPU.. and as long as these match.. the program rom is decrypted and runs ??

2. Also i think the ARM ROM and PROG ROMs are meat to be in matching "pairs" / Versions. So depending on which Program rom you have... may need a specfic ROM/Patch for your cart.

T.

I did a Marshal Masters patch today. After inspecting the patch... I thought these were stock roms and some one has edited the roms to convert to english. BUT it would seam there just the Stock ENGLISH PROG ROMs from stock english / USA region carts.... (Correct me if these are done by hand)
I am pretty sure that they are just stock English ROMs from US region carts. They were discussed previously here.

@skate323k137 graciously burned me one for my MM.

I did a Marshal Masters patch today. After inspecting the patch... I thought these were stock roms and some one has edited the roms to convert to english. BUT it would seam there just the Stock ENGLISH PROG ROMs from stock english / USA region carts.... (Correct me if these are done by hand) i translated a couple of SNES games from scratch....

IF this is correct, I should be easily able to go through all the English carts i have and dump the PROGRAM ROM from each cart. Since i almost have a complete collection... This SHOULD bring out a lot of roms! I can host them on my site as well....

In theory you COULD go through all the MAME roms... BUT it won't always give you the langue and version number of the rom..... (Which you need)

There is ONLY a few possible issues (And maybe this is how some patches do NOT work on a real cart.)

1. Your not meant to be able to change the region. Its meant to be locked in ARM protection chip. BUT i have swaped around PROGAM ROMs BEFORE.. and have changed the region. Maybe the region is in the ARM ROM and ARM CPU.. and as long as these match.. the program rom is decrypted and runs ??

2. Also i think the ARM ROM and PROG ROMs are meat to be in matching "pairs" / Versions. So depending on which Program rom you have... may need a specfic ROM/Patch for your cart.

T.
The ARM chip decides the region, the program ROMs will be the same for a given revision.

What these patches do is disregard the region the ARM spits out and instead use the English / Export region in the 68k code.

The ARM ROM version does not need to match M68K ROM version, at least from what I've seen and gathered from those that have given this a try.

Doing non translation stuff i have found issues when changing program roms and leaving the ARM/ASIC code the same.... it was only a few games though....
I'm going to build a database of all the English Program roms to help others mod there carts... Or i can sell modded games, or just Programed Eproms for people to replace....
I almost have a complete PGM collection... so i''ll dump the english roms i have here... then look and see what mame roms have aswell.

NOT all games are in MAME anyway.. I have added a handfull of them.. and another few handfulls of rom revison versions.

I need to make a easyer to read PGM Game list toooo...

Here are the KOV and KOV Plus patches per @GC8TECH's request. As usual these are xdelta files that you patch against your program ROM.

Note: these two do not work on real hardware (due to ARM chip), so they are more of a curiosity for those who may wish to investigate further.

Attachments

• kov_force_world-not_working_on_hardware.rar
    205 bytes · Views: 196
  • kovplus_force_world-not_working_on_hardware.rar
    243 bytes · Views: 232
Hey @kuze this is amazing! Thanks you very much!

I just changed the version of my Chinese DoDonPachi II to the World version and works great!

Thanks again!

Bumping an old thread. I finally got a Puzzli 2 Cart. I upgraded to Puzzli 2 Special (very much improved) but unfortunately it's China region so most of the text is in Chinese.

Any hope of a region conversion for Puzzli 2 special?

Bumping an old thread. I finally got a Puzzli 2 Cart. I upgraded to Puzzli 2 Special (very much improved) but unfortunately it's China region so most of the text is in Chinese.

Any hope of a region conversion for Puzzli 2 special?
Nice find, I never see that game come up for sale but it’s good fun. Region patch should be doable but I’m not sure what content is actually in English when you set the game to export region. I’ll take a look and report back!

Here are a couple of region hacks I'd love to have tested.
One is for Demon Front.
The other is Photo Y2k. This one, I've tested and appears to work.

Note: If you test these, please let me know if they work! These are hacks I did myself.

Attachments

• demon_front_v105_16m.u5_world.zip
    308.9 KB · Views: 78
  • photo_y2k_pgm_p0701_v105_world.zip
    736.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
weird I was all set to try this out with my Photo Y2K cart and despite the label stating "Real and Fake Photo Y2K" the ROM label said "PhotoY2K II V100" and it dumped as Y2K 2.. So I guess I have a Y2K2 cart despite the label saying only Y2K

Here are a couple of region hacks I'd love to have tested.
One is for Demon Front.

I just tried this with my Korean Demon Front cart. It gets stuck on the calendar screen. After a while it posts some text (PASS1.80 and WDLIUCK).

EDIT: I'm an idiot. It works fine.

Attachments

• demon_front_v105_world.jpg
    demon_front_v105_world.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I just tried this with my Korean Demon Front cart. It gets stuck on the calendar screen. After a while it posts some text (PASS1.80 and WDLIUCK),
Are you able to pm me a dump of your original program ROM? I'd be happy to try and patch it for you. It may be different or reference different locations/data in the asic.

Are you able to pm me a dump of your original program ROM? I'd be happy to try and patch it for you. It may be different or reference different locations/data in the asic.

Sure, I'll send it to you later today.

Back