What's new
Maybe it got corrupted during the flash, you can use an external flasher to flash it. happen to have a chip programmer

Maybe it got corrupted during the flash
does it not verify after flashing? I thought that was the while point with "successful" message after flashing?

you can use an external flasher to flash it
do you have any information on this you can share? I see a whole lot of BGA chips on this thing and not much else.

this would be my guess

Attachments

• 7900 gs.png
    7900 gs.png
    341.1 KB · Views: 366
Did you backup the previous BIOS? If so, take it to another PC with on-board graphic card and you can reflash it from there.

Is your PC with onboard graphic set to boot to integrated only ? In BIOS you can set priority of video boards. I already had troubles with this setting (not for this flash, never tried, but for other).

Is your PC with onboard graphic set to boot to integrated only ? In BIOS you can set priority of video boards. I already had troubles with this setting (not for this flash, never tried, but for other).
the only video option the bios has is to "enable/disable" on board graphics, it was disabled, I enabled it and the results are still the same.. it wont boot with the card installed.

try.booting at least once without the other gfx card. It may detect a conflict and disable it again.

I managed to get my hands on another PC with on-board graphics to try recovering this card.

this PC I was able to boot with the card installed, it wont output any video from the card but will output from the on-board graphics. the card is listed when I use the --list command but when I try to flash it with the firmware backup (or reflash the tx2 firmware) I get "ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found".

then I guess something went wrong and you need to remove it, take it to a programmer and solder it back. Unless someone has a better idea. Maybe @deibit

honestly, I would just source another card and reflash it.. For the price of these cards it's not really worth it to try to fix them. Back in the time I bought like 20 of these cards to reflash, and 1 out of 4 where dead on arrival already.

I would just source another card and reflash it..
I'm seeing these for about $30 shipped on eBay currently, not super expensive but also no so cheap that I want to buy a bunch of them.

This is actually the second one I've bought since the first one displayed bad pixels all over the screen. I suppose I could remove the chip from that and install it on the bricked card to see if that revives it. I did also order the programmer cable that atrfate posted, but coming from China it will probably be a few weeks before it gets here.

Mostly, I don't want to just buy another one and have the same thing happen again. It'd be nice if I knew what caused this problem in the first place so I could avoid it. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result :D

Just had a chance to try it the first time, flashed 4 cards, working perfectly!

Also fixed my issue with games booting back to the menu with a stock 7950GT

I stepped away from this for a while but had some time earlier this week to try to get this working.

I had 2 7900GS cards, the first one (card #1) was functional but had "dead pixels" all over the screen, the second one (card #2) was functional until I tried to re-flash the firmware and it got bricked.

Here's a break down of everything I've attempted so far:

Attempt #1:
I had used an HP compact desktop PC to attempt the flash on card #2. The flash appeared to complete successfully but after the flash the PC would refuse to boot up with the card inserted. I attempted to force on-board video but it still refused to boot with the card inserted, the PC would simply beep and not even POST.

Attempt #2:
I got another PC that didn't use a proprietary motherboard, This PC I could get to boot with the bricked card #2 inserted only if I used on-board video (booting with on-board video disabled resulted in the PC booting blind). with on-board video set I was able to go through the flashing procedure again, even attempting to re-flash the original firmware but it wouldn't take and the card remained bricked.

Attempt #2.5
Since card #1 had dead pixels anyway, I attempted to re-flash the firmware using this new PC and it was successful, the firmware flashed and games would boot in the TTX2, unfortunately it still had the dead pixels and every game I tried to play in the TTX2 would BSOD shortly after starting a game :( At least I know this PC is good for flashing. So For future reference stay away from HP mobos when attempting this firmware flash.

Attempt #3
I got the programming cable in that @artfate suggested, reading the suggested U5 IC was very flakey, it would often not get a complete read and the best read I got from it didn't seem to match the firmware.

Attempt #4
Since card #1 had the right firmware on it but had bad graphics and card #2 was bricked I decided to swap the U5 IC that artfate suggested held the firmware. I did a complete swap between the two cards and ... no change. card #1 still has the elsa firmware and still boots, and card #2 is still bricked... so I'm inclined to believe that U5 does not hold the firmware .

So after all that I threw in the towel and bought a 3rd card... hopefully this one works and I can use the new PC to flash the firmware successfully.

Fingers crossed that the BSODs I was receiving was just from the crappy card and not something else.

I got my PNY card in and flashed the bios using my new PC and it works great, no graphical glitches, games boot and I haven't run into any blue-screens even after a good amount of time running..

Just for fun I took my card with graphical problems.. that had already been successfully flashed with my New PC and tried re-flashing it with the HP desktop PC and it bricked that card too.

SO WARNING... don't try flashing this bios with one of those HP EliteDesk/ProDesk PCs ...

Back