What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Something I'm prototyping. A no frills minimalistic supergun.

Design goals are:
  • Compact
  • Simple
  • Safe
  • Through hole components where possible
  • Open source
60341308_10217204709762854_6763744961943830528_n.jpg

Mini 8 DIN video connector with the usual pinout.

THS7316 video buffer.

Will squeeze in a DIP LM1881 for sync.

May change the video resistors to trimpots.

May add a switched 3.5mm audio output.

Other than that, I think that's all I will do.

I want to keep parts count and cost down to bare minimum.

No power switch, no power LED, mono audio, no kick harness, just a convenient and cheap way of playing most games safely.

Will squeeze in a DIP LM1881 for sync.
My advice is to skip this part, it does absolutely nothing for the arcade CSync.
Glad to follow your advice :)

Less parts, less cost.

Is it acceptable to run sync from the jamma edge through a 470R in series, 330uF cap in series, straight to video output?

Also, while I have you, any tips on the voltage divider for RGB? At the moment I'm running it from the jamma edge, through a 1000R / 43R voltage divider to THS7316 inputs. Outputs through 75R in series / 330uF cap. Seems to give the correct voltage and brightness but open to suggestions if this isn't optimal / safe.

no kick harness
I can understand why you would leave that off, but it's a pity, because the fighting game community is one of the most active when it comes to bringing superguns and real hardware out into public to share. They also have other solutions, so not a big deal, just pointing that out.

Looks like fun!

110mm x 40mm

It's comical how small it is (that's what she said) :P

It'll be open source. When it's production ready I'll release the Gerbers and a schematic. I'm trying to not be tempted by feature creep but a kick harness may find its way in.

I manged to squeeze a kick harness connector in, I agree, it would be a shame to sacrifice fighting games.

I believe it's ready to go. I'll order some test PCBs, test, and if all working well release it for you crazy kids to build and assemble. :)

I actually wanna see how this minigun operates...

Looks like fun. Maybe a nice fit for a test rig I’m putting together, since I’m using an 8” pvm for the video portion.

dawww so cute!

Definitely need a kick harness, I understand not wanting to feature creep but that's just necessary. One feature I like that another good supergun has is labelled points to test 5v/12v with a multimeter.

Very nice Frank! Perfect for testbenches or quick and easy (portable) setups!

Thanks for open sourcing it as always, just what I need.

Would definitely want to be added to a list, for a kit, if possible

Would love to see the minigun in action. Keep us posted! :)

Back