What's new
Hey @Frank_fjs I really like this project. I used your minigun advanced design as the basis for a supergun I designed a couple of days ago. I changed up the layout a bit, and changed the power connector for an ATX 20 pin (I have a lot of ATX power supplies laying around) and also a 6 pin JST connector in case I get a proper arcade PSU. I also changed the 8 pin Mini Din for a 9 Pin and deleted the capacitors and resistors on the THS7374 output so it will work with Genesis model 2 SCART cables. Controversial I know, but I've got several high quality Genesis 2 SCART cables so it works for me.
fc9d51665577f304d803318bb33fb476.png

ccdcf638f1c93cc41a42ee3932f37808.png

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/pfBALSG5

This particular version of the design hasn't been tested yet, but the first revision has been manufactured and tested. All the issues that I am aware of have been fixed at this point. I'll follow up once I've built this version of the board.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing!

I love the idea of incorporating the ATX power connector and associated switch, alongside the versatility of the JST power connector.

My personal preference is to utilise an MD2 video connector too, reduces PCB component count and soldering time which I like. I utilised the mini 8 DIN on mine to appease the general public to be honest.

How are you handling sync? Is it still routed through the 7374? Guessing you're relying on the MD2 cable to attenuate via the 470R?

This is exactly what I wanted to see, people altering the design to suit their preferences / needs. If it's okay with you, I wouldn't mind adding this version to the main distribution.

Thank you for sharing :)

You can absolutely feel free to add it if you like.

To your sync question, I am not routing it through the THS7374 in this design. I am sending TTL sync to the 9 pin mini DIN and relying on the 470ohm resistor in the SCART cable to attenuate the sync signal.

That's good to hear, I was worried if it were going through the 7374 without any attenuation on input it would output too high of a signal.

I have a snes adapter for my supergun. Are you saying that if I connected the kick harness from a PCB to a supergun with a kick header, then a snes pad with the adapter would work as a 6 button controller with no further mods?
assuming it's an SNES to NEO-GEO adapter, yes.
I added a DB15 port to my joystick case for the kick buttons. This allows me to use any kick harness via a db15 breakout board. How does having a kick harness header on the Supergun save effort?
That sounds awful.
30889160183_961e066ee6_z.jpg

This is the HAS, not the Minigun, but they use the same connector. See that blue wire? It's the cps2 kick harness running into the supergun. That lets all six buttons reach the db15 port, at which point you can use whatever you want very easily. Neo Geo controller, done. One of the many adapter boards out there, done -- all 6 buttons. Undamned USB Decoder, done. They all use the same db15 pinout that include all 6 buttons.

index.php

I have a breakout board, too, for handling all kinds of weird stuff. It's a CPS2 to whatever adapter, but it sits inline between the PCB and the supergun.
I guess if you leave the supergun board on a desk like that then it doesn't if the kick harness header is there. My Supergun is inside my joystick case. The PCB sits on a shelf underneath and connects via a mamma extension cable which comes out the joystick case next to the kick harness port. It makes it look neater.

Well @Zebra at least now you understand the design choices, and why everyone has been happy with neo / db15 for buttons.

Back