What's new
Nearing completion now. Just verifying everything and tidying up traces now.

Added a switched 3.5mm audio output jack which cuts audio to the DIN connector when a cable is inserted.

Also added a kick harness connector.

Had to increase PCB size to 110mm x 50mm (was previously 40mm) to accommodate the additions but I feel they're worth it.

minigun-top.png
Minigun-bottom.png

So the mini-DIN is compatible with Tim's RGB cables?
Are coin inputs wired as select on a Neo Geo controller?
How are buttons wired (3 buttons? 4 buttons? more?)?
From the design I'd say 4 buttons.

Yes, compatible with Tim's / HAS / XRGB cables.

Coin as select, same pinout as Undamned.

4 buttons off jamma edge. Buttons 456 on kick connector.

This is looking sick man. Can't wait to see the final version.

Power connector is the same as a 6-pin PCI-E graphics card?
Would be sweet to use with a modular ATX PSU
IIRC those just have 12v, so although a nifty idea wouldn't work well.

If you used the same connector and different pinout, then you'd inevitably have someone fry their board by plugging in 12v on the 5v line.

@kuze good call, didn’t think of the actual pinout, just saw the connector that looked like it :(

Double checked the pinout and both 6 and 8 pins only carry 12v, so that is a no go...

that mini gun is great!

I want to pack a Williams JROK inside a control panel (tight space). maybe this mini Supergun is going to fit... perfect would be to have screw terminals instead of db15s thought... :rolleyes:

yes I know, but the breakout board is bulky and breaks the idea of compactness (would not fit in my setup)

Soldering the wires to a db15 connector would work, but cleaner would be to have the screw terminals directly in the Supergun.

Fair enough.

Personally I hate screw terminals. Anything that uses them I consider cheap junk.

This is open source fellas. That is the best part about this. If there is a component that doesn't suit your preference, you can put in the sweat equity and add whatever component you want. Personally, I just downloaded EasyEDA, the program Frank is using to design the Minigun, and started using it. It is pretty straight forward. We can probably all collaborate on it virtually on different ideas too.

Isn't open source grand?

Hi, this is very interesting, thank you for sharing and making it open source! it's also ideal for the repair zone due to its small footprint.

Is there any reason to use THS7316 instead of THS7374? this one has 4 channels so you can buffer csync matching 75 ohm impedance.

About the audio, in order to make it safe isn't a line driver needed? like the NCS2632 AV-Driver seems to use.

I went with the 7316 for ease of soldering. I could certainly switch to the 7374 if people are comfortable soldering it in.

The audio is safe as is, I'm basically doing what that IC does via passive components. Once again, if preferred I'm happy to switch to a line driver IC if people want to get fancy.

Make an all SMD version and I'd be happy. ;)

School me on the video output please. What display devices is the video suitable for natively? What are the properties of the video signal after processing by the THS7316? This is the first time I've heard of this amp being used to process JAMMA sourced video. What is the purpose of the THS-series amp if the video is already natively at JAMMA levels?

Also, for test bench users like myself, we'll likely couple this with an inexpensive VGA monitor that can display 15khz video to simplify our testing needs. What is a suitable cable to marry with this? Will something like this work?

Back