What's new

SabreAZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently found my spare cps3 to build another 3s setup. I just tested the setup and everything works fine except the player 2 medium kick button. I tested this in a versus city cab that already had a 3s installed, so we know the kick harness wiring is just fine.

My guess is that a trace is potentially cut on the board somewhere. But good lord I cannot tell.

Does anyone with cps3 repair experience know of other labeled trace points on the board I can tap into to bridge the connection?

Last edited:
update: I was able to trace all of the kick harness attack buttons using my multimeter. I plugged in the kick harness and tested from the wire, to make sure the wiring and connection is ok. I was able to trace the action buttons to the CR1-CR11 chips(sorry dunno what those parts are called) which are located just above the jamma edge connector. For instance, I was able to trace my dead p2 medium kick button successfully from the kick harness wire, to CR8, 5th pin down from the top.

After this though, I cannot find any live traces for any of the buttons. I'm guessing they go into that Capcom DL-2929 IOU chip. If so does that mean that that chip may be faulty? Am I looking in the wrong place? Any ideas?

nxRV0R4.jpg
aBx24pJ.jpg

I don’t know the cps3 board that much cuz I haven’t had the need to troubleshoot one, but if it’s anything like the cps2...everything button related eventually routes into the custom. Look for any broken or lifted pins on the custom.

are those the 2 chips located directly above the harness?

Nah, the customs are typically the big square chips that say "Capcom" on it.

ah yeah. That was my thought too. So basically, my theory could be correct and I'm fucked

Not necessarily. It could just be a dirty contact somewhere on the chip and just needs to be cleaned up. I think if the chip was completely toast the game wouldn't even boot.

that's very true. I may have to hand it over to someone if that's the case, those pins are super small

I'd blame the resistor array before the custom. Do you have a logic probe?

I do not, I guess it might be a good time to invest in one. Any in particular to recommend or avoid, that does not break the bank?

finally got my cps3 parts to actually test. Turns out the player 2 mk is actually stuck. So now I gotta see if theres a bridge connection somewhere =/

finally got my cps3 parts to actually test. Turns out the player 2 mk is actually stuck. So now I gotta see if theres a bridge connection somewhere =/
It’s most likely stuck because the resistor pack went bad.

Usually most resistor packs used for controller inputs has VCC on pin one then it’s followed by resistor pairs. These are designed to keep the signal pulled high until you press the button triggering the active low(tying the input to ground).

I’m not sure if you have a multimeter, but you can just shotgun it and replace that one resistor pack with one pulled from another PCB.

I have a multimeter. Just not sure how to test. I was talking to Undamned, and he was thinking it could be the two surface mount chips that are right next the the kick harness terminal. But he needs to get the board in his hands to check.

If it's a simple test I could try, I'm game. Or if theres specific resistors I could just replace.

Back