What's new

adgenet

Professional
Reaction score
I don't have any JAMMA boards yet but want to be ready.
I have converted the machine to Sega's 60 pin wiring to use with a sega JVS board. (In retrospect I should have just wired it up as JAMMA instead but that ship has sailed).
From what I've read, the Jammafier is the way to go for controls and audio, but what about video?

I guess I need a scaler, but I've read that some, like the OSSC are not always compatible with all displays.
I'm not running the stock vewlix screen anymore (replaced with an LG 4K monitor) and the replacement only accepts HDMI or displayport and it seems like none of the scalers are really fully compatible hassle-free.

I guess that you will be the first tester on that LG monitor with the OSSC... the problem with the OSSC is usually at 3x and up... most display take 1x and 2x and pass throughjust fine. The game looks will be up to the internal scaller on tha LG monitor..

on Vewlix black monitor 5x at 1080p on the OSSC is not an issue and the monitor looks good with Jamma games.

Last edited:
With a 4k monitor there's no reason to not be using an OSSC. 240p in 4k through the OSSC is hassle-free.

Jammafier for everything else.

My understanding -- is that if you are running a JVS I/O you will need the jammifier --> OSSC where you can try to see if the LG monitor has no issues with 3X, 4X and 5X.. my understanding is that the OSSC is 1080p 5X and the monitor will use the internal upscaler and will upscale the 1080p 5x to 4k and this is where most monitors have issues. I could be wrong here because it has been a long time since I touch the OSSC.. I just don't like to deal with external scalers

Thanks for the help. I will probably pick up an OSSC as you all recommend, although I did however learn that invzim is working on a scaler as well. Is that worth waiting for over the OSSC?
As I mentioned, I don't even have any old boards yet to throw in my cab so I'm not in a hurry.

Jammafier is the best/easiest way to adapt the Vewlix JVS IO controls and mono-JAMMA audio, and OSSC is the best way to adapt the video (and can be using in conjunction with the Jammafier).
I have converted the machine to Sega's 60 pin wiring to use with a sega JVS board.
Why would you do this?
IMO might as well hack up the entire cab now, no need for a Jammafier (aka a device like Jammafier is used to keep the cab original, yours is no longer original so it no longer matters).

I've gotta say I'm really disappointed people are buying these machines to cut/hack 'em up, esp when we have all the adapters in the marketplace to use them as-is. ;(
I even donated money to have the strict JVS requirements in CvS2 patched so that the stock Vewlix IO would work (aka zero reason to change out the Taito IO for Sega now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jammafier is the best/easiest way to adapt the Vewlix JVS IO controls and mono-JAMMA audio, and OSSC is the best way to adapt the video (and can be using in conjunction with the Jammafier).
I have converted the machine to Sega's 60 pin wiring to use with a sega JVS board.
Why would you do this?IMO might as well hack up the entire cab now, no need for a Jammafier (aka a device like Jammafier is used to keep the cab original, yours is no longer original so it no longer matters).

I've gotta say I'm really disappointed people are buying these machines to cut/hack 'em up, esp when we have all the adapters in the marketplace to use them as-is. ;(
I even donated money to have the strict JVS requirements in CvS2 patched so that the stock Vewlix IO would work (aka zero reason to change out the Taito IO for Sega now
Sorry if I made you cry.
If it makes you feel any better, I have the untouched original wiring harnesses in a box (Control panel, panel intermediate to IO, and the IO to service panel, coin mech/meter harness).

My cabinet came with Fast I/O which is useless to me, and I wasn't about to spend 4 to 5 times the cost of a Sega I/O for the Taito JVS I/O, which as you point out, has a stupid firmware bug. I had a bunch of wire so I don't see what the problem is.

Edit: Just to add, I do understand your position about hacking things up. I try to avoid unnecessary hacking up of things if at all possible, and I absolutely hate seeing terrible butchered hackery, especially of wiring. If I do end up making modifications, I try to make them as clean and as reversible as possible.
That said, I'm not sure if you, I or anyone else here is in any position to draw the line of what is acceptable or not when it comes to modification.

Last edited:
I'm feeling alot better knowing no original wiring harnesses were harmed in this conversion.
Non-destructive mods are AOk in my book.

I'm feeling alot better knowing no original wiring harnesses were harmed in this conversion.
Non-destructive mods are AOk in my book.
Since you're here and have a bunch of hardware, maybe you can help.
Whats your experience with using scalers? Ive heard some introduce lag, and others like the OSSC are not always compatible in every mode as suggested in this thread. Do you have a preferred scaler I should consider?

The best quality scaler is the OSSC, it however does have some drawbacks like you mentioned.

If you are going to use a OSSC with a Vewlix LCD you are pretty much required to also invest in a iScan DVDO VP30/50/50Pro.
Because you've already swapped out for a 4k LG, its impossible for me to say just how well the OSSC will play with that specific screen.
I can tell you PC monitors are more tolerant of wide sync ranges than TVs, likewise 4k screens are also more tolerant in general than 1080p ones.

The xRGB Mini is the most tolerant/compatible scaler, basic "set it and forget it" operation, but it has a very high amount of lag (16x greater than OSSC).
Its color conversion process sucks and is riddled with noise, it can't display proper simulated scanlines at 1080p (only 720p).

Finally the Taito Scaler that is part of the official Taito JAMMA kit, which is about middle of the road.
The unfortunate part about this is Taito no longer makes it, and they have gotten hard to find.
While the upscaling isn't of OSSC quality, it is the ONLY upscaler I've used that supports analog 640x480 VGA output.

Sounds like another vote for the OSSC.
I think I know what my next purchase will be. Thanks everyone.

I’ve got one of those taito scalers just sitting in my cab. At one point in time I had a cyberlead jvs to jamma adapter also. I hear both are rare. That used to be a good way to go for jamma in a vewlix.

Anyway I did a favor and sold the cyberlead to a friend, and while I’d had an eye on finding another I do have 3 jamma cabs now. If you want to try the taito scaler I can sell you that.

I’ve got one of those taito scalers just sitting in my cab. At one point in time I had a cyberlead jvs to jamma adapter also. I hear both are rare. That used to be a good way to go for jamma in a vewlix.

Anyway I did a favor and sold the cyberlead to a friend, and while I’d had an eye on finding another I do have 3 jamma cabs now. If you want to try the taito scaler I can sell you that.
Thanks for the offer, but I already went ahead with the OSSC.
Let's hope it works with my display.

Its the PCBs that won't work with your TV, not the OSSC.

OSSC simply multiplies the resolution, it won't do anything to the original sync rate.
If that original sync was 56.2hz, and you have a screen that demands 60.0hz (59-61hz) it won't work.

The iScan DVDO can adjust/alter virtually any sync to a pure 60.0hz. That's why it's often needed for really strange PCBs like the Midway family.

The unfortunate trade off is the addition of more lag and the loss of the 1600x1200 5x mode.
DVDO is strictly a 1920x1080 device, so even if you have a 4k screen you can't display it in it's full glory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back