What's new
Is the picture you posted the result of the "official" conversion Zero Wing -> Out Zone?
Interesting sub board there. The idea of a switch is cool but probably a bit out of my league :D

I have yet to find a high def picture of the original Zero Wing on the net where you can see the all the board clearly for ref, so if you have access to one (both sides) I'll take it :D
@djsheep had a Zero Wing, if he still has it he might me able to take photos for you

I still have it! I will take some pics sometime this weekend for you.

i-img1200x900-1558188006lxmben270.jpg

Zero wing on YAJ
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m334329151

Thanks everyone :)
I’ll try to strip all the wires and deconvert soon!

Don't forget the mask roms are 301's so will need some wire mods to swap 2 pins around.

Don't forget the mask roms are 301's so will need some wire mods to swap 2 pins around.
the previous wire work/conversion was made by a savage. It will be hard to salvage it but I'll do my best (lots of lift pads and borked jumpers/traces). Thanks!

Hey @Hammy is there any effort being put towards a multi for this board? I have an Outzone that has graphics issues and thought maybe instead of fixing it, I'd go for a conversion (or multi) at the same time!

Also, what made me ping this topic is this for sale on AO which has a nice looking factory conversion board on top.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41374

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-170220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-170220_Gallery.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 184
Hey @Hammy is there any effort being put towards a multi for this board? I have an Outzone that has graphics issues and thought maybe instead of fixing it, I'd go for a conversion (or multi) at the same time!

Also, what made me ping this topic is this for sale on AO which has a nice looking factory conversion board on top.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41374
That board in the pic will run 2 games <outzone and zero wing> ... Nothing else.

There's nothing for regular outzone PCB's.

Well I'd like to get my OZ to play ZW, but with the graphic problems I don't know if it's worth the hassle to convert. Do OZ have chips that haven't been repro'd yet? IE customs that can go bad? If so, I'll probably just sell it. If not, and all chips can be repaired, I'll mess with it.

It's a bit different hardware.

The board is worth fixing, Toaplan stuff from previous history is normally 'dead line town' the tracks like to fail normally out of view...
Customs are quite good on them, very rare they go.
Give it a check over for damage , scratches and burned out traces / vias / poor soldering.

I had 5 x outzone in faulty last year and fixed ' em all so if you want it sorting out or need to offload give me a call ;)

Zero wing hardware plays outzone HARD version only, so there's that to consider too a original outzone is the better platform to play it.

My faulty Out Zone seems to have been converted from Zero Wing, judging by serial of the PCB. It's a real mess unfortunately, I don't even know where to start on how to repair it.

483D363E-5F1B-4456-9140-17366A99D51A.jpeg
BCADBE3C-A6FD-46CE-9F39-DAC9381FB8FA.jpeg
Ok,
From @Kravex Got one of those in for repair...
It's running on the original set not the conversion set! Very interesting and explains the extra wire work used.
I guess they (the 'converter' back in the day) did not have access to the actual conversion roms.

Out Zone (older set) tp07.binmaincpu0

EDIT:
AND THE FIX:

Last edited:
Then you have slightly more complicated conversions with patched code but again only a couple are interesting (Knuckle Bash to V-V IIRC).
… just picked up a « mystery Toaplan board » that turned out - to be working! Great! - to be knuckle Bash, which ok, is hmmm gender friendly ?

any info on that v five conversion is welcome please!

Back