What's new

umjammercammy

Beginner
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but I figured I'd ask, since System16 lists them as having similar hardware.

I know Fire Shark had some sort of protection that was only recently cracked, and that prevented the game from playing with audio in Mame for some time. Would it be possible to install the decrypted Mame roms on a different Toaplan board?

It looks like you can convert regions or revisions (SameSameSame to Fireshark) with a program rom swap. Otherwise MAME lists different pcb revisions within the hardware, which don't make conversions from other games impossible exactly, but certainly not straightforward at all. If you look at the revisions numerically on either side, the pcbs don't look similar at all really.

Demon's world - http://www.jammarcade.net/images/2017/01/103_0004.jpg
Fireshark / SameSameSame - http://www.jammarcade.net/images/2016/10/100_8995.jpg
Outzone - http://www.jammarcade.net/images/2016/08/DSCN3960.jpg
Vimana - http://www.ym2149.com/arcadepcb/pcb/toaplan/vimana_pcb_partside.jpg

I don't know the library that well but it's not immediately clear what would be good (i.e. cheap) as a donor, either...

My faulty Out Zone seems to have been converted from Zero Wing, judging by serial of the PCB. It's a real mess unfortunately, I don't even know where to start on how to repair it.

483D363E-5F1B-4456-9140-17366A99D51A.jpeg
BCADBE3C-A6FD-46CE-9F39-DAC9381FB8FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 65A7FEA9-F73B-4929-99DA-050C7CA0E59C.jpeg
    65A7FEA9-F73B-4929-99DA-050C7CA0E59C.jpeg
    772.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 7FB40D13-8113-42E2-8E8C-48DEBB00F1CF.jpeg
    7FB40D13-8113-42E2-8E8C-48DEBB00F1CF.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 288
Another day, another time someone is misled by the nearly arbitrary categorization of System 16. If System 16 won't be updated to have remotely correct information, then it should be taken down. "Toaplan Version 1" isn't just board, just like how "Toaplan 2" isn't another. At best it is a categorization by the use of the same chipset components.

Another day, another time someone is misled by the nearly arbitrary categorization of System 16. If System 16 won't be updated to have remotely correct information, then it should be taken down. "Toaplan Version 1" isn't just board, just like how "Toaplan 2" isn't another. At best it is a categorization by the use of the same chipset components.
Isn't System 16 info just based on mame drivers? For example, I think all the Taito F3 stuff is thrown into one bucket, which doesn't address the fact that many of those games are on dedicated PCBs, not the red carts most people are accustom too (though thankfully, both types of games run on Darksoft's multi :D).
-ud

• But, electrically, those F3 ones are actually the same, which is why the multi works fine.
MAME drivers are organized by however is convenient for the developer, but it doesn’t imply that games run on compatible hardware. Perhaps system 16 is organized this way, but the way information is presented implies things about the games and respective boards that are untrue, I believe.

To check if a game is compatible with another, start with the chipset, followed by the memory map. System 16 isn’t helpful!

Correct.
There are few Toaplan 2 conversions that are just romswaps but aren't very exciting either.
Then you have slightly more complicated conversions with patched code but again only a couple are interesting (Knuckle Bash to V-V IIRC).

My faulty Out Zone seems to have been converted from Zero Wing, judging by serial of the PCB. It's a real mess unfortunately, I don't even know where to start on how to repair it.

483D363E-5F1B-4456-9140-17366A99D51A.jpeg
That's way more hacked up than it needed to be! I'm sure the real conversion for this board was just a couple of wires / cut traces.
Rip it all off, repair any cut tracks and start again with zero wing, it's a better game anyway ;)

Hehe I definitely thought about it, and also because Zero Wing is Horizontal and I have yet to have a Tate setup. If anyone has detailed picture of a Zero Wing board, I'd like to have some references.
The biggest issue I see is how butchered some of the non socketed components were, it will be painful but I will definitely try, nothing to lose :P

Zero Wing's memory map is pretty different, so if that is a conversion, then there was probably a good bit of slicing to make it happen.

I got one that was the 'official' outzone conversion...
Converted back ;)

Anything you need just ask, Have repaired dozens of toaplan boards over the years they can always be got back from the dead.

Most of the wire mods on here only convert the rom type from mask to regular. The addressing changes are a couple of wires.

Edit: it should be easy to run out zone AND zero wing on this board with a simple switch but never bothered to do it.

Attachments

• IMAG1640.jpg
    IMAG1640.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Is the picture you posted the result of the "official" conversion Zero Wing -> Out Zone?
Interesting sub board there. The idea of a switch is cool but probably a bit out of my league :D

I have yet to find a high def picture of the original Zero Wing on the net where you can see the all the board clearly for ref, so if you have access to one (both sides) I'll take it :D

It's zero wing to out zone conversion from factory. THEN converted back to original / zero wing.
TP 15 board and there's nothing special going it pics / wiring diagram will be what you need.
It's the same board just different madness going on ;)

The sub board is soldered down but it's not being used anymore the roms are just fitted to the posts that hold the sub board in (the 'new' sockets outzone used for the higher meg program are empty)
They have done the same thing with your board to get around the mask rom pinout. When going back to zero wing you will not need to double stack them.

For outzone there is only 2 mods to the board, pin 78 of the BCU is the missing upper address line and 2 lines on the 138 are switched around.

Attachments

• BCADBE3C-A6FD-46CE-9F39-DAC9381FB8FA.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Isn't System 16 info just based on mame drivers?
If that were the case all of the NAOMI, NAOMI GD, NAOMI 2, and NAOMI 2 GD stuff would be on the same page.

Not to mention the Konami JAMMA boards prior to the GX hardware would be grouped quite different than they are too since lots of those games only have 1 mame driver per game. ZN hardware is grouped differently on System16 and MAME also.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an idiot. I don't really know that much about this stuff, I've only ever dealt with early 80s "golden age" boardsets before so my concept of conversions is limited to simple stuff like "Pac-Man can be converted into Ms. Pac/Pengo/decrypted Pac Plus" etc. I know that's not the case tho for later games but I'm never sure, since it varies so much it seems.

I've been using System16 for a long time and just going off of what I read on there, since I don't know of any other sites with that kinda hardware catalog, but if it's incorrect then... welp.

Is the picture you posted the result of the "official" conversion Zero Wing -> Out Zone?
Interesting sub board there. The idea of a switch is cool but probably a bit out of my league :D

I have yet to find a high def picture of the original Zero Wing on the net where you can see the all the board clearly for ref, so if you have access to one (both sides) I'll take it :D
If no one uploads one, I can dig out my og Zero Wing PCB and get some hi-res shots.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an idiot. I don't really know that much about this stuff, I've only ever dealt with early 80s "golden age" boardsets before so my concept of conversions is limited to simple stuff like "Pac-Man can be converted into Ms. Pac/Pengo/decrypted Pac Plus" etc. I know that's not the case tho for later games but I'm never sure, since it varies so much it seems.
I've been using System16 for a long time and just going off of what I read on there, since I don't know of any other sites with that kinda hardware catalog, but if it's incorrect then... welp.
There's nothing idiotic about an honest mistake, it's not your fault - that stupid site has misled so many people. It stings because the concept of the site is great, and you'd think it'd be providing useful information!

I'd still take system16 over not having any site like it at all.

But yeah, it's not at all ideal.

Back