What's new
Just make sure you keep your original CF+Keychip+HDD in case you want to go back to your previous setup.

I will eventually have to get the cf card to run the original Virtua Fighter 5 Export Ver A disc I have.

Darksoft, do you know if it matters what version of the base kernel/os is on the CF? I know games like VF5FS update it to a newer version and was wondering if it mattered or it just needed to be the original Montavista Linux kernel card and does not matter what version it is?

This is Linux! The game has a compiled Kernel prepared to run with a very specific hardware. If you change the video card or the sound card, it won't work because the kernel doesn't support it. If you want to compile your own Linux, it won't work because you don't have the source files for the Sega I/O PCI or you can't unlock the CF nor you can't read the PIC, etc. etc.

Bottom line, unless you are a master of Linux....don't touch it.

Yes I can understand that, I was just asking if I bought an original Linux CF card from someone for Lindbergh Yellow, and it had been updated by installing a newer game such as VF5FS, would it still work with an older game like VF5 Export Ver A?

I don't remember by heart but each game is prepared to work with a specific kernel. Some of them can work with the same kernel like Hummer and VT and some others like OR2 need their own.

I don't remember by heart but each game is prepared to work with a specific kernel. Some of them can work with the same kernel like Hummer and VT and some others like OR2 need their own.
I know on my multi I believe HOTD4 and Outrun 2 run on their own and all others run on the same one, so I guess that means regardless of how updated it is, VF5 should work on a Lindbergh Yellow kernel and should update off of the disc if needed.

If I install a new hdd to install a game onto, will the Lindbergh format it, or do I need to have it preformatted in a specific format/partition type?

Yes I can understand that, I was just asking if I bought an original Linux CF card from someone for Lindbergh Yellow, and it had been updated by installing a newer game such as VF5FS, would it still work with an older game like VF5 Export Ver A?
I recall OR2 and HOTD4 use the older 2.4.#. Everything else I have tried seem to work with the newer 2.6.# kernel.

I don't have Rev A export but I can tell you this much. I currently have Rev B Export installed. When I tested install of Final Showdown it uses the same kernel 2.6.#.

Back