What's new

euphoria

Professional
Reaction score
Hi :

I am finding it hard to complete my list of wants as apposed to needs.
Covering serviceability of these boards (ongoing maintenance)
I was hoping you the community could help provide insite as to the order of a importance of some original pcb’s in your eyes :

Battletoads
Bubble bobble
Crystal of kings
Dolphin blue (cartridge)
Forgotten worlds
Night slashers
Turtles in time

Regards
Euphoria
:)

Did you want to know which ones are more prone to failure / need repair?

Or which ones we think are more essential to own?

If you are looking at which ones are more prone to failure, Turtles in Time would be at the top of that list. The customs do fail often and need to be replaced.

Night Slashers has a custom that fails regularly, but not as bad as Konami

Bubble Bobble is pretty reliable on my experience - and arguably the bootleg is the better board to own anyway as you can run The Lost Caves on it :)

Dolphin Blue is Atomiswave, no issues there. Crystal of Kings is rare as hell but as far as I know not unreliable other than potential battery leakage on the motherboard. Battletoads similar deal, pretty reliable.

I missed the elephant in the room though: Forgotten Worlds. This is even worse than Turtles, CPS1 A customs fail often, for no reason at all if you look at them at the wrong angle on a Tuesday

If you're asking me to prioritise those in an order that I would buy:

Bubble Bobble
Battletoads
Night Slashers
Dolphin Blue
Crystal of Kings
Turtles in Time
Forgotten Worlds

Hi :

I am finding it hard to complete my list of wants as apposed to needs.
Covering serviceability of these boards (ongoing maintenance)
I was hoping you the community could help provide insite as to the order of a importance of some original pcb’s in your eyes :

Battletoads
Bubble bobble
Crystal of kings
Dolphin blue (cartridge)
Forgotten worlds
Night slashers
Turtles in time

Regards
Euphoria
:)
No idea about failure rate, but I would say this:

MUST OWN:
Battletoads
Night Slashers

SHOULD OWN:
Dolphin Blue
Turtles in Time

SKIP UNLESS YOU GET A DEAL:
Crystal of Kings
Forgotten Worlds (moves into must own if you grab a conversion and @'Apocalypse''s ROM mod to make it playable with joysticks Mega Drive style)

NO OPINION, I'VE NEVER OWNED OR PLAYED:
Bubble Bobble

Bubble Bobble for me and probably many people my age (early-mid 30s) is or should be in must own territory.

It was stupidly popular and common when I was a kid, it was EVERYWHERE - the music is iconic, the gameplay is simple and yet very very difficult to master and it's just plain good fun

Bubble Bobble for me and probably many people my age (early-mid 30s) is or should be in must own territory.

It was stupidly popular and common when I was a kid, it was EVERYWHERE - the music is iconic, the gameplay is simple and yet very very difficult to master and it's just plain good fun
I don’t doubt you, I just mentioned the games I currently own and how I feel about them.

Unless you’re trying to talk me into getting a new game...

My 2 cents, Crystal of Kings is absolutely fantastic. I've played that game a LOT more than I've played my Night Slashers. Never really rated Dolphin Blue, and if I did I'd Netboot it over owning an original or boot. Battletoads on the NES still reigns supreme for me, the Pause music alone is worth the admission.

Pay for what you want and how much $ you want in relation to how deep your pockets are and how much enjoyment you'll get out of the games and I think you'll be pretty good and happy in this arcade hobby @euphoria.

With a list like yours, you're going to want to avoid the price gougers and price speculating PCB hoarder types who treat PCBs more akin to the stock market or bitcoin than mere games to enjoy and PLAY. Just be patient and keep your ears and eyes peeled on forums like this, AO, shmups for sales and you'll get what you want at the price that suits you sooner or later! Apocalypse's recent sale was a good example that good prices can still be found for the raer PCBs. Good luck mate.

Thanks @djsheep for the post (for me and the OP!). I'll have to play the Crystal of Kings more, but dude, I LOVE Night Slashers soooo much!

Night Slashers is great. But I feel once you’ve played it through a few times the replay value isn’t quite there.

Unlike something like Splatterhouse which is god tier due to difficulty.

Give Crystal some solid 2P action with a mate or your missus and you might be surprised.

I don’t doubt you, I just mentioned the games I currently own and how I feel about them.
Unless you’re trying to talk me into getting a new game...
If that game is Bubble Bobble, absolutely. But prepare to be patient, it doesn't come up for sale often at anything close to a reasonable price and when it does it gets snapped up fast.

Back