My candy cab budget stream setup. (Guide with links)

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • My candy cab budget stream setup. (Guide with links)

      So, as you may have read the title already. You might be interested in streaming from your arcade cabinet using jamma/rgb to VGA. I will start by saying there are plenty of other options to look into if you want to change some of the things out that I used to either , make the stream look better or perhaps you have more money to spend on a stream setup. This is by no means a picture perfect setup.But with a little bit of tinkering, it can become a decent one!

      You can read the details or view this quick cringe clip of me telling yall how most of it works




      Here is a quick clip of how your stream could look.

      clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingTemperedMarjoramKreygasm

      Later on you will have to learn how to change the color values in obs to get decent color settings like mine. Or I can screen shot the settings if you want to copy mine!

      First off things you will obviously need :
      • Arcade cabinet / Super gun that uses JAMMA
      • Laptop or PC with OBS
      • A game board of your choice to stream. My preference is 3rd strike!


      The next list of items are what I needed to purchase in order to get things rolling. You dont need to use the links I provided , they are just the exact ones I used at the time and where I got my items from. Feel free to Google around and find your own site.NOW some items I purchased/use to stream with :


      Now we have gone through what I used and maybe yourself. What's next?

      Start by plugging in the paradise blue elf adapter in between your game of choice and jamma harness. (imgur.com/gallery/Ot5i5hw)

      Next connect the RGB cable that comes with the paradise blue elf, Into the side connector of the Gonbes 8220. (imgur.com/gallery/ymDBCFr)
      (imgur.com/gallery/PyNAKJI)

      Then connect either the 5v power supply you purchased or tap your own 5v to the gonbes with the provided connector (white square plug in picture or black 5v connection)
      (imgur.com/gallery/6VN1L6i)

      After that you will need a VGA cable to connect from the gonbes to the startech capture device. I dont have pictures of the startech device at the moment but its pretty straight forward.
      (imgur.com/gallery/OQBps1G)

      You're also going to want sound right?!? Connect your RCA to 3.5 in the RCA slot on the board and to your laptop.
      (imgur.com/gallery/idJ2ReG)


      From here, you pretty much gotta know how to use OBS. Watch some videos on tutorials for some basic things. With OBS one main thing you're gonna wanna figure out is, how to change the colors. With this particular setup, the colors are off a bit and need to be adjusted. The off color only effects the stream and not what is displayed on the cab. If you dont mind everyone looking like they have a summer tan then skip all that.

      The rest is up to you. . . I explained how to get the signal, now you just need to figure out OBS and twitch things and you're good to go. I can help with more questions regarding this setup and some OBS things, just ask!

      If I left anything out , I will be sure to point it out in a edit of the thread/post! :)

      The post was edited 4 times, last by alexboogaloo ().

    • Cool! I made a setup almost exactly like this a while ago with a Jamma fingerboard and harness end, but was having trouble with getting sound from the harness for the longest time. First tried hooking up a separate amp, worked, but the volume was very high. Then tried a line out converter and maybe I just wasn't hooking it up correctly.

      Finally, I ended up making a RCA extension cable with a hacked in headphone jack similar to the ones you've shown. Really surprised it actually worked! The microphone I use for vocals picks up the cabinet speakers too, so I don't actually hook up the RCA passthrough as it causes the stream to sound all echoed. It would probably work better if we were wearing headset mics or something.

      Your video quality looks better than mine though. You probably know a bunch more than I do about streaming. Haha.
      Here's a clip from mine with echos! twitch.tv/chicksonleashes/clip/LachrymoseBraveHerdVoteNay

      I can't figure out how to get rid of the black border around the game video out though. Cps2 and Cps3 are different sizes, Yours seems to be good though! Maybe I have to make a background with a transparency square or something.
    • ChicksOnLeashes wrote:

      Finally, I ended up making a RCA extension cable with a hacked in headphone jack similar to the ones you've shown. Really surprised it actually worked! The microphone I use for vocals picks up the cabinet speakers too, so I don't actually hook up the RCA passthrough as it causes the stream to sound all echoed. It would probably work better if we were wearing headset mics or something.

      Your video quality looks better than mine though. You probably know a bunch more than I do about streaming. Haha.
      Here's a clip from mine with echos! twitch.tv/chicksonleashes/clip/LachrymoseBraveHerdVoteNay

      I can't figure out how to get rid of the black border around the game video out though. Cps2 and Cps3 are different sizes, Yours seems to be good though! Maybe I have to make a background with a transparency square or something.
      Your stream actually sounds pretty good even if you hear the cab and you playing. If anything I'm interested in how you have your mic and webcam setup. Currently for mine I'm using this Microsoft life webcam that has a Mic built in and I'm using that for my voice.

      For my video quality, you can try messing with the settings. Under settings go to the Video tab and try messing around with base canvas and output. My laptop is running with

      Base canvas: 1366x768
      Output scaled: 1092x614

      You can also try my actual color settings if you would like.

      Brighteness: 177
      Contrast: 153
      Hue: 129
      Saturation:145
      Sharpness: 32
      Gamma: 128
      White balance: 128
      Bright comp: 128
      Gain: 128

      For the borders around the video , you can right click on your video source from OBS and hit Edit transform. From there you can mess around with the position and size etc. At the bottom of the window or says crop. With that you can get rid of the black borders on the side or up top.

      If there are any specific settings you might want a screen shot of or something then feel free to ask!

      I made this thread because you'd be surprised how many people are out there who want to stream with all kinds of other ways to make it work. But there arent any like actual pics or decent videos on how to do it or how it will even look at the end! I just wanna be as helpful as I can lol.
    • xlom wrote:

      How are you handling the extra power draw from splitting the video and voltage differences in the video signals to your device and the jamma loom? I've been told you can mess up your hardware if you aren't accounting for those.
      I could be wrong on this, but I just kinda made sure everything I was using had it's own power supply. Also I have this JNX pandora converter that has a voltmeter on it. Before sound this I just plugged that in and made sure I had a decent amount of power coming out. You can do the same using one of those probing voltmeter and check off the jamma.

      One thing to take into note is that, if I dont have my gonbes8220s 5v power plugged in, I notice the top of the screens image starts to Skew a lil. However when its plugged in , the image reverts back to normal. So if you plan on using this setup, make sure you have at least that plugged in.

      I think that is where some power draw you speak of might come into play. Seeing as if it's not plugged in , then the gonbes8220 will need to draw power from the jamma and then you'll lose some volts.

      Got any links to anyone showing damaged hardware to what you say for example ?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by alexboogaloo ().

    • xlom wrote:

      I do not. I was asking about user on a different form about doing a streaming setup and he mentioned those concerns to me. Figured I'd post them here too see if you had gotten around then
      ah I see, well other than what I mentioned above about maybe having power draw / low voltage, might come from something not having its own power for itself.

      I thought of just spicing into the blast city's power supply or jamma and then just cranking up the voltage a little bit to compensate for the use of the other devices.

      But in the end I thought it would be better to just keep things separate for the sake of my power supply damaging or other things.
    • My mic setup is pretty sketchy! Hahahaha.
      It's basically a xbox 360 Konami karaoke logitech mic that I found, hanging from an arm made of some wood, a push pin, and a coathanger, attached to the top of Mr. City by some skateboard hardware.

      Drilled a small hole into the wood then drilled a bigger hole half way down the smaller hole to get the hardware screw to work. It was the same threading as the original screw. Drilled an extra hole to put the original screw in the arm so I don't lose it!
      Drilled a hole to put the bent coathanger in place. The pin stops the coathanger from going too far to the 2P side because I totally didn't drill the hole straight. Haha.

      The webcam for the buttons is pretty old and low quality. Enlarged it looks like garbage, but keeping it smalls looks alright.
      I put a twisty tie under the center screw on the top back of the cabinet to affix the webcam. It works pretty well!
      My other cam is just the laptop camera on a stool.

      I had made my jamma passthrough piece and soldered the video wires to it. It's the HDMI version. I also attached a digital volt meter for super killer voltage changing on the fly!!
      The HDMI video converter 5v line is also connected to the jamma passthrough. It draws about 0.04. So I always have to turn the psu up a tish once the game is running. I always turn the voltage down a bit if I change a game or anything, but I am paranoid about my voltages for some reason.
      Images
      • 20190607_123838.jpg

        809.77 kB, 1,632×918, viewed 20 times
      • 20190607_124152.jpg

        752.6 kB, 1,632×918, viewed 17 times
      • 20190607_123806.jpg

        604.84 kB, 1,224×688, viewed 22 times

      The post was edited 2 times, last by ChicksOnLeashes ().

    • New

      ChicksOnLeashes wrote:

      My mic setup is pretty sketchy! Hahahaha.
      It's basically a xbox 360 Konami karaoke logitech mic that I found, hanging from an arm made of some wood, a push pin, and a coathanger, attached to the top of Mr. City by some skateboard hardware.

      Drilled a small hole into the wood then drilled a bigger hole half way down the smaller hole to get the hardware screw to work. It was the same threading as the original screw. Drilled an extra hole to put the original screw in the arm so I don't lose it!
      Drilled a hole to put the bent coathanger in place. The pin stops the coathanger from going too far to the 2P side because I totally didn't drill the hole straight. Haha.

      The webcam for the buttons is pretty old and low quality. Enlarged it looks like garbage, but keeping it smalls looks alright.
      I put a twisty tie under the center screw on the top back of the cabinet to affix the webcam. It works pretty well!
      My other cam is just the laptop camera on a stool.

      I had made my jamma passthrough piece and soldered the video wires to it. It's the HDMI version. I also attached a digital volt meter for super killer voltage changing on the fly!!
      The HDMI video converter 5v line is also connected to the jamma passthrough. It draws about 0.04. So I always have to turn the psu up a tish once the game is running. I always turn the voltage down a bit if I change a game or anything, but I am paranoid about my voltages for some reason.
      Holy moly that mic setup haha. I do like how you soldered the pass through to the HDMI thing, plus the volt meter. I was worried about power drop and ruining anything that might connect to the blast city. Thats why I tried to avoid it bu having everything use its own power supply. But it looks to be working fine for you by adjusting the power. I didnt want to adjust the power supply so I went the route I did.

      My webcam for us is twist tied just like yours is Haha.

      I have seen that hdmi version before , I was interested in getting it but was concerned about getting sound. Plus the gonbes 8220 VGA version was cheaper lol.

      When you recorded that clip you first sent , did you use one audio source for game sound and the konami mic for voices? Or did the konami mic pick up the sound and you guys talking?
    • New

      The mic setup is hilarious! I got the boarder thing fixed too! Thanks!

      Even if I had bought an arm thing for the mic, I don't know what I would attach it to.
      I didn't want to use a full wood arm so I opted to use the coat hanger wire because it can flex and move around if it ever gets bumped, not putting any stress on the top of the cabinet.

      I've put mini amps and fans in other cabinets before and have always attached everything to the power supply without any trouble.
      I really like these small volt meter boxes too. Every jamma harness should probably have one installed.

      For the HDMI converter, I might have paid 30-32 bucks for it. Off of ebay I think. I chose that route so it can plug directly into the capture card without needing another converter. I got an Avermedia LGP since it supports 4:3 resolutions.

      In the clip I sent, there was two sources for audio, the game RCAs and the mic. Theres a slight delay from the capture card, so the video is slightly behind causing an echo. You can see the monitor in the buttons cam is slightly ahead of the game video. Over time the captured video gets out of sync even more. Every stream after that, We have just turned up the cabinet a little so the konami mic picks up the game sound along with voices instead of using the Rca splitter.
      In the situation where we had someone man the mic for some stupid commentary, I would probably hook up the RCA splitter for the game audio since the commentator would be further away from the cabinet.
    • New

      ChicksOnLeashes wrote:

      The mic setup is hilarious! I got the boarder thing fixed too! Thanks!

      Even if I had bought an arm thing for the mic, I don't know what I would attach it to.
      I didn't want to use a full wood arm so I opted to use the coat hanger wire because it can flex and move around if it ever gets bumped, not putting any stress on the top of the cabinet.

      I've put mini amps and fans in other cabinets before and have always attached everything to the power supply without any trouble.
      I really like these small volt meter boxes too. Every jamma harness should probably have one installed.

      For the HDMI converter, I might have paid 30-32 bucks for it. Off of ebay I think. I chose that route so it can plug directly into the capture card without needing another converter. I got an Avermedia LGP since it supports 4:3 resolutions.

      In the clip I sent, there was two sources for audio, the game RCAs and the mic. Theres a slight delay from the capture card, so the video is slightly behind causing an echo. You can see the monitor in the buttons cam is slightly ahead of the game video. Over time the captured video gets out of sync even more. Every stream after that, We have just turned up the cabinet a little so the konami mic picks up the game sound along with voices instead of using the Rca splitter.
      In the situation where we had someone man the mic for some stupid commentary, I would probably hook up the RCA splitter for the game audio since the commentator would be further away from the cabinet.
      Good to know there arent any problems using HDMI board like yours. Might switch to that in the future!

      Glad you were able to get the borders taken off! Did you do it following the way I said?

      When I stream, I use RCA game audio and a webcam that had a mic. If I have my phone or something playing In the background, i get a lot of feedback (that ringing mic noise) do you ever get that problem?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by alexboogaloo ().

    • New

      hallucid wrote:

      there a way to stream off a JVS (New Netcity) type of setup?
      I'm not sure how JVS is set up, but if you can provide picture or something of your setup then maybe I can help with suggestions!

      Does JVS video out put use VGA? , if so then you would pretty much do the same thing but you wont need to convert the video. You would probably need a good VGA splitter . One to go to the cab and one for the capture device.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by alexboogaloo ().

    • New

      Ahoy, I arcade stream too every Tuesday, and weekends generally. (Twitch chan in sig)
      You got some good ideas, but may I suggest one thats super effective?
      The ALMIGHTY "STREAM CART"
      A weighted rollable apparatus that has a microphone boom, power strip, lasers (for background), and space to put drinks.
      (or your OSSC/Scalers/small ancillary powered items)
      It's much easier to roll up a cart sidesaddle to my cabinet, plug it in, and get to gaming.
      I'm still working out finding a proper tall and thin camera mount as mine just uses gaffer's tape for now mounted vertically so Vertically mounting is good, this way, I can get myself my guests, and the CP movements.
      I've elaborated on it much more as this picture is about 2 months old.

      Videogame Historian
      Bench : Saturn Phoebe Type 2 | Midway Seattle (Blitz 2000 Gold) | N64 Multi
      WANT : Air Buster | Irem M92
      [astrocity] InstaGram [neogeo] My Arcade Projects Photoblog [saturn] My VAPS PCBs [nes-101] My Twitch Channel
    • New

      hallucid wrote:

      there a way to stream off a JVS (New Netcity) type of setup?
      So from looking at @adgenet comment, the pin out for the JVS seems to be the same as a regular VGA cable. So essentially you can do the same thing that i have done here. One big difference would be . . . The video signal going into the JVS would need to be split. So one signal to JVS and one signal to your capture device.
    • New

      psykom1 wrote:

      Ahoy, I arcade stream too every Tuesday, and weekends generally. (Twitch chan in sig)
      You got some good ideas, but may I suggest one thats super effective?
      The ALMIGHTY "STREAM CART"
      A weighted rollable apparatus that has a microphone boom, power strip, lasers (for background), and space to put drinks.
      (or your OSSC/Scalers/small ancillary powered items)
      It's much easier to roll up a cart sidesaddle to my cabinet, plug it in, and get to gaming.
      I'm still working out finding a proper tall and thin camera mount as mine just uses gaffer's tape for now mounted vertically so Vertically mounting is good, this way, I can get myself my guests, and the CP movements.
      I've elaborated on it much more as this picture is about 2 months old.


      That setup looks pretty neat-o. For myself , my setup seems to be ok. only thing i would change is maybe adding another camera or mic, maybe even a different stand for my laptop. as for all the cables , they usually just tuck away in the back of my blast city if i dont want to or plan on streaming for a while.

      whats the deal with that little monitor or something on top of the arcade ?
    • New

      alexboogaloo wrote:

      That setup looks pretty neat-o. For myself , my setup seems to be ok. only thing i would change is maybe adding another camera or mic, maybe even a different stand for my laptop. as for all the cables , they usually just tuck away in the back of my blast city if i dont want to or plan on streaming for a while.
      whats the deal with that little monitor or something on top of the arcade ?
      It's a Microsoft Surface 4 Pro.
      My Blast has an aftermarket monitor so the frame doesn't sit exactly flush.
      The Surface kickstand perfectly wedges between the blast monitor frame and holds it there gracefully.

      That way I can monitor chat, stream health, or just administrate shares, or stream game changes without having to look all over the damn place.
      Plus it helps to put your chat text below or near your camera so you face it when you read stream chat.
      I feel a little bit of face time with your viewers goes a long way instead of blank stares talking at your monitor.

      Check out my streaming link in my signature. You can see how nicely it looks, and things are just out of the way so I have room to work.
      Videogame Historian
      Bench : Saturn Phoebe Type 2 | Midway Seattle (Blitz 2000 Gold) | N64 Multi
      WANT : Air Buster | Irem M92
      [astrocity] InstaGram [neogeo] My Arcade Projects Photoblog [saturn] My VAPS PCBs [nes-101] My Twitch Channel
    • New

      psykom1 wrote:

      alexboogaloo wrote:

      That setup looks pretty neat-o. For myself , my setup seems to be ok. only thing i would change is maybe adding another camera or mic, maybe even a different stand for my laptop. as for all the cables , they usually just tuck away in the back of my blast city if i dont want to or plan on streaming for a while.
      whats the deal with that little monitor or something on top of the arcade ?
      Check out my streaming link in my signature. You can see how nicely it looks, and things are just out of the way so I have room to work.
      I checked out how your stream looks! Pretty good!