What's new
U

Unicron

Hi Everyone,

To be honest, I joined the forum to order a Vewlix F from KC and it should be delivered next week. Yay!

To say something about me, I live in the Boston, MA area, and I love Japanese arcade games and candy cabs. The Vewlix F will be my first candy cab purchase. It would take a few paragraphs to explain what makes Japanese games, candy cabs, and arcades so awesome, so I'll just say that they are awesome! I've been to Round 1 in Taunton, MA and it was cool to play on some cabs there.

My goal is to have a mini arcade in my home, so in the future, I want to get a second Vewlix for TATE, and then a couple of older candy cabs, like the Astro City, Blast City, Egret II, etc. For the Vewlix F, I'm planning on building a PC to run MAME for older games, especially the CAVE shmups, and I also want to run a Dreamcast emulator for some Dreamcast shmups and other games, like Zombie Revenge.

I'll leave it that.

Welcome Bostonian!

Ditch the Dreamcast emulator and get a Naomi NetBoot system. If your Vewlix comes with a jvs io (instead of a fast io) you can drop the Naomi in there and run all the games on original hardware.

How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools

Or not I guess, but with a real cab you have options!

Welcome !

Welcome Bostonian!

Ditch the Dreamcast emulator and get a Naomi NetBoot system. If your Vewlix comes with a jvs io (instead of a fast io) you can drop the Naomi in there and run all the games on original hardware.

How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools

Or not I guess, but with a real cab you have options!
As far as I am concerned, I have a Dreamcast + GDEMU in my New Net City:
-saves your scores even if you change games
-easy to get saves with full unlocked content like characters/costumes in VS games
-training modes
-GDEmu greatly shortens the loading times, compared to the netboot loading.

Moreover, I have played Ikaruga on Naomi Net Boot, and noticed a few but highly disturbing slow-downs during Chap 3 boss and Chap 4, which do not occur on Dreamcast + disc, Dreamcast + GD Emu; or Naomi + convert cart. Don't know where that comes from, don't know if that happens on other games. (I almost only play Ikaruga)

Naomi has more games and it's original hardware, but it has pros and cons too, and I chose to keep my DC and sell the Naomi.

Yeah, my Vewlix F comes with Fast IO. I'll probably stick with the emulator for an all-in-one solution. It was cool to learn about net booting though.

Please do NOT cut or otherwise destroy any original Vewlix wire harnesses or parts once that cab arrives!

I will buy them for actual money if I need them.
If I don't need them I will help you sell them to others who may need them. You will NOT need them if you install a PC/emulation box.

Also are you sure that F has a FastIO in it?
I'm not saying it's not possible, but the release of the F cab predates the Fast hardware/spec.
So it certainly didn't come from Taito like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I won't damage the original wire harnesses. I'm not sure, KC said it had Fast IO.

well if it does have fast io, and @jassin000 or someone else here doesn’t actively need it, I’d probably grab it. I have the actual fast io pcbs already but it’d save me from building the harnesses myself. Not sure I’d switch my vewlix at this point but I like having options

Knowing KC and his, uh, communication prowess, I’d still wager it’s a jvs io. Which is also good frankly and someone will want it!

Honestly, I know little about arcade wiring standards. So for me, it's going to be a project to work on. Will probably be a few months before everything is finished.

If it has a JVS I/O and you're going to be using a PC with it, I wouldn't remove anything. Just get a JVS Pak and plug it into the PC....and your done.

Welcome!

I'm also waiting (excitedly and impatiently) for my Vewlix to arrive from KC, as well! It's also supposed to have a fast I/O, which I'm planning to rehome.

I'm throwing in an old PC with mame into mine (which is a Vewlix L). In my excitement, I've already put together my own harness with an ipac and am planning on ordering the 2 player panel from Taito eventually (if a reasonable quality repro doesn't pop up beforehand).

Well, the cp AND the locks.

Welcome!

I'm also waiting (excitedly and impatiently) for my Vewlix to arrive from KC, as well! It's also supposed to have a fast I/O, which I'm planning to rehome.

I'm throwing in an old PC with mame into mine (which is a Vewlix L). In my excitement, I've already put together my own harness with an ipac and am planning on ordering the 2 player panel from Taito eventually (if a reasonable quality repro doesn't pop up beforehand).

Well, the cp AND the locks.
Nice, sounds like a gooooooood time!
Welcome!! i live in boston too :thumbup:
Cool man, it would be nice to have some sort of candy cab meet up in Boston!

Hi and welcome! I live in Rhode Island. There’s an arcade bar called Freeplay in Providence and they have a Capcom Impress if you’re ever in the area.

Back