What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
I have been watching all the threads in the section for a while then it hit me .. man all the parts are here to build a true multi for this. Just need to figure out how to make them work in concert. My idea is best represented by this picture..

2L8MUWDh.png

1) So as with a few multis it would be driven by a micro pc such as a RPI or Odroid or something along those lines.

2) You would be able to choose from from a list of games. Either through a display or remotely (touch screen display would be awesome) as with the Naomi NetBoot and how it uses the onboard wifi to communicate.

3) Once the game is selected it would send a signal out via the GPIO to a relay or on-on switch to trigger 256 or 246 mode on the jumper on the motherboard.

4) Then the minipc would then trigger the dongle image to be uploaded to the multi dongle.

5) Once the dongle is finished being programmed then the minipc would trigger an upload to the ATAPI/IDE ODE device and transfer the correct disc image to the USB stick for the image to load off of.

6) Once all the tasks are completed successfully the mini-pc would display a message to boot the system 256.

7) Enjoy the game!

The major problem with all of this is I have zero idea how to get started with the programming needed for the RPI or mini pc device I have no skills in that department. Secondly how to power the mini-pc device separately so it can accomplish the tasks prior to starting the 256. Third I don't even know if the ATAPI/IDE ODE device is capable of handling any of this. So basically this is all theory. Also this whole rig is going to be costly .. $300ish+? for a 256, $200 for a multi dongle, $200 for a ATAPI/IDE ODE, Then all the miscellaneous pieces and parts you will need.

So to that end I am going to tag a few people (hardware and Pi Software guys) to see if they think I am insane or if any of this is in the realm of possibility..

@Finisterre
@fsckewe
@brizzo
@twistedsymphony
@ekorz
@Darksoft
@Mitsurugi-w
@jassin000
@Smurph
@bobbydilley
@rewrite
@Derick2k
@electric_monk

..I know I am forgetting some people who could move this forwards .. but anyone is welcomed to chime in.

Last edited:
Doing this has always been a long term goal. The SYS2X6 USB Dongle has design considerations to do this; I even tested with a RPI+touchscreen before the project was made public. electric_monk also added features to the ODE support this concept as well.

You will also find this thread a point of interest: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/system-reset-wire-for-system-246-256.8259/

@twistedsymphony had asked me a few months ago for the usb dongle linux software (which has an outstanding bug), and I keep procrastinating about it... :D

Indeed that thread is a good point of interest.
However if there is a reset just like on the old ps2/ps1 machines wouldn't there be a power button also? In this case wouldn't you use that instead as it would give you the ability to shut down the 256 to make all the hardware switches and load the dongle and game image then start the system back up?

Hold the system in reset while programming dongle/ode, release reset and the system boots. No need to remove power or power cycle.

yes I already have this half way done it's the whole reason I made the thread asking about the reset points. Originally I wanted it ready to go before the ODE was publicly released.

but without the ability to reflash the dongle from a Pi it's kind of pointless. electric_monk also suggested that the ODE could perform dongle reflashes as well, so I stopped working on it and moved on to other projects because if EM's solution came to fruition before I got the program to reflash from a Pi then all of my work would have been for not.

@twistedsymphony So on the reset points. Could I put a two position on-off slide switch on the leads from the points and you should be able to effectively turn off the 256 since holding down the reset button keeps it in a sustained "off" mode? Kinda in a backwards fashion. Since the slide switch maintains a closed circuit in the on position causing it to stay in reset then in the off position the system would come back on since the circuit is broken?

A kin to this?...

Hold the system in reset while programming dongle/ode, release reset and the system boots. No need to remove power or power cycle.
On the downside I am scared of soldering to those points in fear of bricking my 256 lol.

You gonna push me over edge on a pending purchase lol.
Doooo eeeeeet!!!

yes I already have this half way done it's the whole reason I made the thread asking about the reset points. Originally I wanted it ready to go before the ODE was publicly released.

but without the ability to reflash the dongle from a Pi it's kind of pointless. electric_monk also suggested that the ODE could perform dongle reflashes as well, so I stopped working on it and moved on to other projects because if EM's solution came to fruition before I got the program to reflash from a Pi then all of my work would have been for not.
So basically it's a race between @brizzo and @electric_monk to either implement the linux/RPI software of figure out how to make the ODE do it all?

I Guess either way I need to work on coming up with the extra $200 so I can buy the ODE and starting tinkering with it myself :)

Could I put a two position on-off slide switch on the leads from the points and you should be able to effectively turn off the 256 since holding down the reset button keeps it in a sustained "off" mode?
yes

@streetfighterken

Super Dragonball Z
Tekken 5.1
Tekken 5 Dark Reasurection
Battle of Yu Yu Hakusho
Sengoku Basara X Cross
Capcom Fighting Jam
Soul Calibur 2 & 3
Kinnikuman wrestling games

There is a few more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. This is not even getting into the shooting and driving games if you have the hardware for that.

Last edited:
Besides Gundam fans, what games are so good to make this worth it?
if you're a fighting game fan, a gundam fan or a taiko no tatsujin fan then this is a must-have beyond that it's not worth buying a multi for.

there are a few light gun and driving games but honestly the requirements for each one of those is specific enough that it's not worth using the multi on them.

the only other game worth mentioning is Technic Beat, which is an interesting rhythm/puzzle game (i guess?) That plays with a joystick and buttons, but the dumps haven't been released yet.

I'm a bit late to the party, but that seems pretty doable, and I'm glad to see that there's already action being taken

As a Gundam AND fighting game fan, System 256 has quite a few games I'm into.

Even though I teach programming, this low-level stuff is not my field. However I think it's best if the ODE does it, it already needs an update to load different files, currently it just loads up the first one it finds, also it saves another piece of hardware being used.

Let me know when you want testing done, I have all the gear.

I think it's best if the ODE does it, it already needs an update to load different files, currently it just loads up the first one it finds, also it saves another piece of hardware being used.
you can actually load up the entire catalog of system 2x6 games on the ode sd card and switch discs. This however needs to be done via serial commands over the usb port. I did all my testing this way issuing disc change commands from a raspberry pi.

I think it's best if the ODE does it, it already needs an update to load different files, currently it just loads up the first one it finds, also it saves another piece of hardware being used.
you can actually load up the entire catalog of system 2x6 games on the ode sd card and switch discs. This however needs to be done via serial commands over the usb port. I did all my testing this way issuing disc change commands from a raspberry pi.
So if I understand all this correctly. You got the disc switching, mode switching, and reset all working off a RPI? The only piece missing is getting the RPI to change the 2x6 dongle image?

So if I understand all this correctly. You got the disc switching, mode switching, and reset all working off a RPI? The only piece missing is getting the RPI to change the 2x6 dongle image?
disc switching - done and fully tested
reset - proof of concept wired up and working
mode switching - have not actually implemented on Pi yet but should be straight forward.
dongle switching - nothing yet

I also have a json object that I created with all of the games, which disc image and which dongle they should use, which mode they need to run in, what type of controls they use, etc. the idea being that you'll have a config file on your Pi tell it that you're using a 246 in joystick cab, or a 256 in a touch-screen cab, etc. and it will only show games relevant to that setup.

disc switching - done and fully testedreset - proof of concept wired up and working
mode switching - have not actually implemented on Pi yet but should be straight forward.
dongle switching - nothing yet

I also have a json object that I created with all of the games, which disc image and which dongle they should use, which mode they need to run in, what type of controls they use, etc. the idea being that you'll have a config file on your Pi tell it that you're using a 246 in joystick cab, or a 256 in a touch-screen cab, etc. and it will only show games relevant to that setup.
ok bad ass. I'm hoping to order an ODE device and a new soldering iron this coming week. Then i will be able to solder in the reset/power switch and start playing around with the ODE also .. to see if I can get caught up to you.

Back