What's new
The second batch should fit millmax pins. @Derick2k, what is your experience with them?
Expensive for what they are :D

Really though, they work great for the purpose but a bit annoying to work with cause they are so small. I populate the holes with the pins and then use some kapton tape to hold them in place and then solder them in place to from the underside. Thankfully I have not had to pry the ICs off, so havent really tested how they or the ICs fair with installation/removal a few times like your would with a normal socket.

Il try to snap some pics of the next boards I put together, I owe carts to a few few members here, just havent had the time :(

The only other thing I could think of is to mill in a suitable pocket into either a 3D printed/acrylic case or an original shell. Not sure how well that would work, or how fragile the result would be.

The only other thing I could think of is to mill in a suitable pocket into either a 3D printed/acrylic case or an original shell. Not sure how well that would work, or how fragile the result would be.
How about something were you do an offset daughterboard of sorts to sink it enough to allow for sockets to be used with an original or repro shell. It would just require soldering on more pin-headers to attach the boards?

It would add a little extra cost, but not as much as those millmax pins and would be easier to put together also. Tried to use your pic as an example, but yeah, didnt quite work :D Hope you get the idea.

IMG_20190528_094400.jpg

Last edited:
I think I know what you mean... I guess you could route all connections to a double row of pin headers, and then solder the cartridge connector with a slight height offset. Though I must admit it took a while to route that board, I don't really want to redo that. :) The program board was much simpler.
If anyone else wants to try that they are welcome to do so. ;)

I think I know what you mean... I guess you could route all connections to a double row of pin headers, and then solder the cartridge connector with a slight height offset. Though I must admit it took a while to route that board, I don't really want to redo that. :) The program board was much simpler.
If anyone else wants to try that they are welcome to do so. ;)
Yup, its some work for sure like you say, it would involve a lot or rerouting. I would just do it for the components that would be socketed.

couple questions has demon front been made to work on these boards or is there a custom chip still preventing that?

Also has anyone made cases for the carts so i dont have plunk down and gut real games for cases?

couple questions has demon front been made to work on these boards or is there a custom chip still preventing that?
Both the custom chip and the data size prevent this for now.
Also has anyone made cases for the carts so i dont have plunk down and gut real games for cases?
Bfontain designed these awesome cases:
PGM single game PCB assembly and troubleshooting
Design files:
PGM single game PCB assembly and troubleshooting

Also this design by SnakeGrave:
3D printed replacement cases for carts

Last edited:
Before I put down a request for some sets, is there an estimate on when you'll be sending out the next batch?

Before I put down a request for some sets, is there an estimate on when you'll be sending out the next batch?
Hopefully this year.
Putting a request down here just helps me choose how many to order. You can still decide if you want them when I've got them.
I'll just flog the rest on eBay.

I'm going to need two more sets myself when you have them ready as well please and thanks!

This seems really nice. Where do you source the cases from? :)

Back