What's new

buenrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I have a XESS PCB without sound, I take from a Hyper pacman donor board the PALv8-25 from the audio section and XESS audio now works fine.
I need to make a duplicate of this PAL, I try to read it and program in another same PAL erased from a donor board but doesn't works, anyone knows how are the mode to dump it to a PAL or how transfer to a GAL.
Thanks in advance.

Is it even possible to erase and reprogram a pal?

If I remember well, you can protect them against readout.

If that's the case, you would need to know the logic they emulate with the pal.
Sometimes they are just used as address decoder as they can replace several ttl chips doing that.

Next, you will need something that can convert the equation file to a jedec file. Most programmers accept such a jedec file to program a gal device.

I used to have some programs that could convert equations into jedec, but haven't used such for years. Not sure if I will be able to find them.

They’re usually protected chips. I’d try @Porchy here or better via jammarcade.net and see if he can dump the PAL for you. They preserve the code for all, too.

The PAL is likely secured hence you can read it straight in a programmer but you need to brute-force it.What kind of device is?Is it a PALCE16V8?We on JAMMArcade don't have dumps from XESS or Hyper Pacman.We would need the chips in order to reproduce them.

Hi, thanks to both. I can send the PAL's to dump it, or you prefer I send both boards to dump any more?
Thanks.

If there is anyone on here that is good with reproduction chips its @caius hands down.

High quality and highly recommended :thumbup:

Back