What's new

gobblebit

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently received my S-TV board and fired up Radiant Silvergun (via cart). The game plays as I would expect, but in the opening intro the screen is incredibly washed out to the point of being nearly pure white. As the level progresses the color seems to calm down a bit (I believe the cloud layers thin out in the background), but it's definitely not correct.

I'm at a loss at what to poke at in order to debug this. I'm running from the JAMMA connector to a Gonbes converter for VGA output. I've played around with the converter and I don't believe it's to root cause. I've entered the S-TV's service menu and looked at the display calibration sections. While the RGB bars seem a little "hot" (i.e. not a lot of variation in contrast once it's past the first five or six bars) the whole menu doesn't seem really off. All the other tests checks out fine.

Does anyone have a pic of their own video calibration page for comparison? I would have expected a more even gradation across the range than I'm seeing.

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Is there anyway you get it the output to a CRT or something with no adapter? I can send you a picture of the calibration screen - but it would be on a CRT.

Matt

Thanks for these! Even though it's a different output type, I can tell that you have a smoother gradation across the bar, which is what I was expecting.

I don't have anything that can take the raw RGB output from the JAMMA connector, but I have a supergun showing up that will at least give me another reference point (and less wires as well).

It seems unlikely that there's a subtle issue with the board causing it to blow out slightly, but you never know.

You have RGB pots on the converter board right? Maybe try to adjust those down so the colors are less “hot”?

Matt

Yep, that was my next thing to experiment with. I'll dial down the pots and see if it makes a difference, thanks.

You have RGB pots on the converter board right? Maybe try to adjust those down so the colors are less “hot”?

Matt
So rather boringly it turned out that the pots were maxed out. Turning them down did what you would expect (luckily!) I guess I didn't expect them to come cranked from the factory, but it's an easy fix so I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the help!

Back