What's new

LittleLarrySellers

Professional
Reaction score
Hi all, very new to the scene and picked up a Omega MVS as one of my first splashes into the hobby. I also grabbed some carts from Ebay.

I just got the Samura shodown cart and when I checked it against mvs-scans it is really close. Apologies for the noob question but does the cart have to match one to one EXACTLY to one of the sets scanned on mvs-scans? My pcb is really close to the sets I see and almost all the numbers and manufacturer names all match up on the roms. Some seem to have slightly different numbers and placements but overall it looks close. Basically, is the mvs-scans pics the gospel? If anything is even remotely off, it is a bootleg?

Here is a pic of one of the boards which seems pretty close but I notice some slight differences. Have I been had or is this legit?

board.png

Looks legit to me.

I'll let someone else chime in on mvs-scans.

This is legit.

mvs-scans should be used mainly as a reference. It is not a definitive resource.

Outstanding! Thanks for the tips.

Is the basic idea the roms and numbers are in the same ballpark and the overall pcb looks like what is on mvs-scans? Like what would set off a red flag for you?

Very quick red flags:

Windowed roms.
PCB didn't have SNK silk-screened on it.
Wires (some exceptions).

Very quick red flags:

Windowed roms.
PCB didn't have SNK silk-screened on it.
Wires (some exceptions).
There are some exceptions for windowed EPROMs too. Upgrades to game code or factory repairs commonly used those.

But if that's the case you'll only have 1 or 2 and the rest will be mask ROMs. If it's all windowed EPROMs, that's a conversion

I refuse to believe that. I was in an OPs warehouse once and he had a 5 foot tall box filled with Samurai Shodown 1 kits. Probably a good 200 kits. There is no way that game will ever need to be bootlegged.

Outstanding! Thanks for the tips.

Is the basic idea the roms and numbers are in the same ballpark and the overall pcb looks like what is on mvs-scans? Like what would set off a red flag for you?
Most of the maskroms have the games NGH number printed on them. In the case of SamSho1 it's 045.

If you ever see a game with multiple NGH numbers, or mask rom(s) with a different NGH numbers than what the game is suppose to be, than it's a boot.

Alot of times bootleggers will sacrifice one game in order to make another. When doing so, they sometimes leave the original mask roms in place if they do not need to be removed in order to save time.

Alot of times bootleggers will sacrifice one game in order to make another. When doing so, they sometimes leave the original mask roms in place if they do not need to be removed in order to save time.
Is that not something SNK did? I know Konami would often leave old mask roms on games when they converted them at the factory.

Now that you mention it, I think it might have happened with FF3 and RBFF but its definitely uncommon.

Back