What's new

Suzuki_Bison

Student
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums.
Multiple people have told me what a valuable place this can be to learn new info about candy cabs and other stuff, so here I am!

I'm hopefully buying my first set of cabs this year!
I mainly play Super Turbo and collect CPS2/MVS hardware.
I've been using superguns for the past few years and finally decided its time to make the upgrade I've been wanting for what feels like forever...

So naturally, with my love of SF2, I'm looking into the Astro City (which I love the design of), though I've also been interested in getting a set of New Net Cities (which of course I would have to get jammafiers for).
I know the NNCs can support various monitors and due to age may have less wear and tear, as well as those kickass Toshiba monitors they can support.

So, the question I have is, which type of cab would theoretically hold up longer, the Astro or the NNC... :/ ?(

It's a sort of general question but I'd love people's opinions.
Anyway, super excited to be a part of the forums finally!

It's not the cabs you need to worry about "holding up" its the CRTs inside.
Just due to the age of the cabs I'd wager the NNC's monitor would last longer, but this is more of a general guideline about electronics and can't be taken as 100% fact.

Don't forget if you do decide to go with a NNC that in addition to the Jammafier (for JAMMA board support) you'll also need a scaler solution as the NNC only displays 31khz (not 15khz).
I think @invzim is working on a VGA output scaler solution right now that would be perfect for this type of application, keep eyes on him.
It's not a job for the amazing OSSC scaler due to that device only supporting digital (DVI/HDMI) output.

Another reason why the NNC gets my vote is how easy it would be for you to add a Naomi to that cab.
Naomi is also awesome for fighting games!
  • Capcom vs SNK
  • Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2
  • Power Stone
  • Power Stone 2
  • Guilty Gear X

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget if you do decide to go with a NNC that in addition to the Jammafier (for JAMMA board support) you'll also need a scaler solution as the NNC only displays 31khz (not 15khz).

I think @invzim is working on a VGA output scaler solution right now that would be perfect for this type of application, keep eyes on him.
It's not a job for the amazing OSSC scaler due to that device only supporting digital (DVI/HDMI) output.
Thanks for the input dude!

So the question then is, if the NNC can't natively support games at 15khz, how are other people currently playing jamma games in their NNCs?
I've bought a bunch of stuff from JNX before, so I'm always in support of independent projects- though I also know how limited and pricey they can sometimes be.
Emphasis on limited... If I couldn't play jamma games on my cabs, I'd be crushed.

I think the Naomi Universal cab is more popular because it has a tri-sync (15/24/31khz).
Same for the Blast City (which was my fave Sega CRT based cab).

I don't believe the majority of NNC owners play JAMMA boards.
If they do, more than likely they use a classic scaler like the xRGB-3.

I think you got the two reversed, NNC is trisync, NUC is 31kHz.

I've never owned one, but I thought that was correct (have it backwards yes).
I did own a Blast, that was a trip sync... Mine was manual switched, I guess an auto switching version version exists as well.

Back