What's new

dionysus

Beginner
Reaction score
I get some CF cards took from Lindbergh cabinet,I know all of those cards locked by password,Is it possible to recycle those cards by erasing password? It seems that all cards are from "Star Horse 2"( MDA-C0041,MDA-C0007).I want to reuse them on my embedded PCB.Could anybody please tell me how to do it?

I don't know the exact details, but the answer is in the ide command set. There is a command that disables security. I seem to remember it gets formatted after that to protect it's contents. So you will need something that can sent raw ide commands to the card. There is program that can even do it over usb with some chipsets but the name escapes me.

@obcdThanks! I will give it a try! I think MHDD is an appropriate tool for that,But I'm still not sure whether I can erase sectors of cf card without unlocking it.

Last edited:
there's a heartbeat on these cards. AFAIK They will never work outside Lindbergh unless you get the target computer to emulate that.

@Darksoft Thanks for your information,Seems a lot of work to do,I won't waste any more time on those cards!However,I am still interested in "heartbeat",where can I get detail about this?

Fwiw I also just asked...

Attachments

• 63566AD9-9EED-4485-A24D-7AAA6055B7F7.jpeg
    63566AD9-9EED-4485-A24D-7AAA6055B7F7.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 473
It was sorrowful story! I seemed to have asked an inappropriate question ;(

And I just threw some oil on the fire....
Arcade operators aren't interested in multi's as arcade cabinets have a dedicated theme.
You can't just take your outrun cabinet an run another racing game on it, so why would you need a multi?
What is interesting however is a cheap repair method.
If a harddisk becomes bad, you can still order a replacement at sega it seems, but the prices are usually so high that you start wondering if the machine is still worth the expenses.
Since you bought the machine and the software already, why would you need to pay extra for a harddrive with the same software if you can prepare one yourself using an off the shelf pc drive?
Even just knowing the details why it won't work is helpfull, as it prevents wasting time on it trying.

If the forum rules forbid technical discussion of such hardware, I will follow them, but it's not like the watchdog question was asked to bypass security. It was just asked to see if the cf cards could be used elsewhere. If security needs to be disabled without password, the contents of the card are erased.

It makes sense they poll the card on regular base for it's presence, But I am really curious if they designed some special cards that "lock themself" again or "wathever" if they don't get the watchdog sequence at regular intervals. If that's the case the card indeed can't be used as normal cf memory card.

These are not ata locked, CF cards have a different form of locking cards are made by Adtec if I remember.

Also you can tell it's not ata locked as sector 0 is not locked, and means it can be exploited to boot from another drive. Original Lindbergh exploit.

Also you can make a hdd/SSD bootable, by changing the model name to SDCFB I think there was other names, you get ID mismatch on boot, but you can put the jumper to 1-2 and boot and it will reset the CMOS will lock/pair the device, but being an IDE device it won't support the CF lock command, but it will still boot fine.

This is how I was doing Lindbergh way back in 2010.

@AndyGeezer Thanks your reply! Follow your tips,I tried to read sector 0 and got data on it,but i couldn't read all sectors after sector 0, that means it's hard to unlock & reuse it outside of the lindbergh?

Yes sector 0 is unlocked, but rest will be locked, like I said it's not ATA locked, but CF locked which is a different cmdset.

Honestly not sure it is possible to permanently unlock the drive, but tbh who wants to they are only like 124mb in usable size.

You can temporarily unlock the drive to flash contents, Sega where kind enough to leave the tool on the Linux kernel and also a windows version on the Lindbergh blue.

Back