What's new
I'll definitely publish a schematic for the video circuit.

If desired, I'm happy to add a power LED to the standard version.

Thank you kindly @West :)

Re crimping tools, IWISS make great low cost tools that work well.

This looks super cool. Thanks for donating it to the community.

Added some new headings to the main post. There's a future features section now so have a read and contribute any ideas.

Keep in mind things will naturally change, be added, improve etc over time so keep that in mind before committing to ordering PCBs.

Added some new headings to the main post. There's a future features section now so have a read and contribute any ideas.

Keep in mind things will naturally change, be added, improve etc over time so keep that in mind before committing to ordering PCBs.
How about a pure test bench version?

All inputs and outputs are to 2.50mm spaced headers. 2.50mm spacing is ubiquitous in both the Japanese connector segment (JST NH/XH) and the US connector segment (Molex KK series). And for those guys that like screw terminals, they can use 2.50mm spaced screw terminals to solder into the same headers. This allows all the testing permuations that can be out there to be handled by a single board design (flexibility). Also, when it comes to testing purposes, aesthetics/form factor/footprint is less of a concern. But of course, keep it as compact as possible.

Power:

A 2.50mm spaced header allows:
  • US game test setups can terminate Molex .093 connectors (commonly found on Happ/Peter Chou/Dynamo PSU's) to a screw terminal or 2.50mm connector and plug their switching PSU's right in
  • Japanese game test setups can terminate to JST VL connectors and plug in a Sun PSU directly to a 2.50mm connector
Audio:
  • Add a mini onboard speaker loud enough to hear audio (PC case type speaker), along with requisite resistor network so as to not blow such a speaker
    • Optionally, unattenuated JAMMA audio output for external speaker connection
    • Onboard pot for volume control
  • Eliminate 3.5mm speaker output entirely
Video:
  • Mini Din 8 replaced by 2.50mm header, retaining THS-amp circuitry
    • Allows for LCD monitors that can display 15khz RGB to be used for test purposes
    • (Might need to add in a sync separator. Will find out after I get your first board to test with)
  • Add 2nd un-attenuated JAMMA RGB/Gnd/CSync video header for ouput to CRT for testing/calibration
Controls/Input:
  • 2.50mm spacing should cover everything
    • Two 12-position 2.50mm spaced headers should do it for 1 and 2 player
      • Can be positioed in parallel rows if spacing is a concern
      • Screw terminal users simply need to buy screw terminals of different height if positioned in parallel
    • 10-position CPS1 kick harness
    • Retain Test and Service momentary switches as you've designed
Power Indicator:
  • All version need one, especially a test bench version
Mounting:

4 screw holes instead of 2

Could you hand draw a crude sketch @acblunden2?

I probably won't go down that path myself but since we both use EasyEDA we should add each other to a team and then you can get creating said PCB and I can pop in and assist.

This may be of interest. It's the AMOA standard for the PSU connectors:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061020135912/http://www.amoa.com/joomla/content/view/74/108/

All standard DC switching power supplies shall have two separate standard snap and lock connectors (Moles connector or equivalent)
  1. Output connector will be a 3x3 90-pin snap and lock (keyed); pins 1,2, and 3 are +5 Volts; Pins 4,5,and 6 are ground: Pin 7 is -5 Volts; Pin 8 is +12 Volts Pin 9 is a spare.
  2. AC impact connector will be a 3-pin snap and lock (keyed) Pin 1 Line; Pin 2 Ground; Pin 3 Neutral

Last edited:
Could you recommend a crimping tool for these Molex terminals? the official one costs ~241€ + taxes and that's way too much just for making one or two miniguns.

I've found Engineer crimping tools decently priced but I'm not familiarized with Molex connectors and I'm not sure if they'll work with this. I have an IC extractor and a wire stripper from this brand and they are pretty good.

About the correct levels in video signal I recommend setting the 1K trimpots as 682Ω in series and 318Ω to ground before power on. This divides the 2.2Vpp signal to 0.7Vpp.
I've used a Waldom Electronics W-HT-1921 crimper for all my molex crimping needs. Probably not the best in the world, but it gets the job done and it's cheap...about 15 bucks.

So how bad would it be to get this working nicely with a neogeo?

If buttons 4-5-6 go to JST XHP-6 is it possible to change the order of buttons 1-2-3 with 4-5-6 to have the kicks in the lower row in SF2?

Anyway it can be done out of the Minigun circuit using a pair of DB15 adapters and 3 pins molex connectors.

New version up, check main post for details.

Added a power LED to the STD edition and heaps of trace / copper improvements, optimisation.

This will be the last revision for a while as everything is solid, so safe to order PCB's.

• DPDT switch to toggle input button 4 from jamma edge
  • Voltmeter
Will these be added to the advanced version, standard or both?

What are the main differences between this and the Sentinel?

Back