What's new
Rev 1.2 standard edition PCB arrived today, put it together just now, works very well. :)

64655891_10217492261191460_8922935904813711360_n.jpg

Will be doing a minor update to both PCBs very soon, just minor tweaks.

@Frank_fjs, I'm still up for designing a Test Bench fork. Can you add me to the EasyEDA Project?

Last edited:
The rev 1.2 std edition, pictured a few posts above, is for sale if anyone is interested. Proceeds will go directly back into the product.

Fully assembled and tested. Includes the supergun and arcade PSU power harness cable.

$90 Australian dollars shipped registered post anywhere in the world. $70 within Australia.

@rsignal, @West, (my financial backers ^^ ) and @Kavas have first dibs. :)

@Frank_fjs, I'm still up for designing a Test Bench fork. Can you add me to the EasyEDA Project (acblunden2@gmail.com).
I'll create a blank project tonight and we'll get cracking.
Cool. So here is what I am thinking:
  1. Controls: Onboard joystick and button navigation using tactile switches: Up/Down/Left/Right/Coin/Button 1-6
    • For both 1P and 2P
    • I've abandoned the idea of connection headers for external controllers in a test bench setup
  2. Audio: 3.5mm jack replaced with small output header for PC case speaker
  3. Mini DIN 8 connector replaced with:
    • DSub15/VGA connector for testing PCB's on an LCD, and
    • Header for unattenuated JAMMA RGB ouput for CRT testing/repair/calibration/etc.

New version up, version 1.4 for both editions. Just some tweaks and refinements.

Main post tidied up, all relevant information is now contained within the zip file download.

I have some 1.2 pcbs on order, are there improvements for which I would want 1.4 instead?

Not so much with the standard edition but the advanced edition benefits from recent updates.

Is there any reason to use 33µF for the audio circuit instead of 47µF? I prefer to stock more common values.

The rev 1.2 std edition, pictured a few posts above, is for sale if anyone is interested. Proceeds will go directly back into the product.

Fully assembled and tested. Includes the supergun and arcade PSU power harness cable.

$90 Australian dollars shipped registered post anywhere in the world. $70 within Australia.

@rsignal, @West, (my financial backers ^^ ) and @Kavas have first dibs. :)
Thanks for the dibs @Frank_fjs but I got a pcb on order already and I enjoy soldering so I'm all good.

Same here, I'm waiting for some pcbs and parts to assemble it. Can't wait to solder a pair of them.

Thanks Franks_fjs.

I have built a standard edition minigun and everything went good but all the flux that is left over is a pain in the ass to clean. I tried 99% isopropyl alcohol but still brush but still sticky. Other then getting a ultrasonic cleaner is there a chemical or method that any of you guys can suggest to clean the flux off the board?

Looks like this project has wiped out Digikey's remaining stock of the Sullens edge connector :). I have these, but the gap between the rows is too great. Is there a suitable replacement from Digikey?
Those should work fine, shouldn't they?

Aliexpress has a variety of jamma edges, as do most online arcade retailers. I prefer the blue ones over the black ones.

eBay has them too.

Re flux, isopropyl with an antistsatic brush is a bit of labour but works well. Alternatively, buy PCB detergent from an electronics shop and wash / sponge it down. Use a hairdryer to fully dry before powering on.

Oh, re the gap, you need to manually bend the pins inwards with pliers or a screwdriver.

@DarthMig so I just tried all three independently and the MG flux remover is just way easier. I usually use IPA or a general cleaner like simple green afterwards but for a big clump of flux the MG stuff is tops

Back