What's new
Had another Digi-Key parts order arrive today. To share some information:

I like these Mini 8 DIN connectors:

CP-1580-ND - Best quality, most expensive

CP-2280-ND - Great quality, I prefer the look of the black plastic face

2057-MDJ-008-FS-ND - Can tell that the quality is lower than the above, but still perfectly acceptable and a great budget option.

I DO NOT like this connector and recommend against it:

5749267-1-ND - Expensive and doesn't feel nice, open back design.

The LPF switch fits beautifully, thus confirming fitment of every listed Digi-Key part in the BOM. I've actually made the PCB holes a little larger to accommodate a standard 2.54mm male header / shunt combo for those that would prefer not to use a switch. Can also do the same with the stereo switch, i.e. replace with a header as opposed to a switch.

1.5 PCB's have shipped and will land end of week.

just got some boards in today, surprisingly cheap. Got my digi key order in. Time to put this badboy together.

Thank you @Frank_fjs for all of the work!

If anyone makes a model with VGA out, I would love to have one of those too!

No damage re mono / stereo setting but it will sound wrong (out of phase) with it set to stereo on a mono board. Really the only board stereo applies to is the single slot MVS boards which support stereo over jamma, and have a switch themselves to alternate between mono / stereo (on the MVS PCB).

My MiniGun is assembled now too. Just waiting for this cable for my test bench purposes and I'll be roaring to go!

MiniGat.jpg
I'm confused, you are able to output to VGA? Or are you just happen to hooking it up to a monitor that does rgbs through that connector?

The latter. Keep in mind, I am using the MiniGun strictly for test bench purposes. Some LCD monitors can accept and display a 15khz RGBS signal via the VGA connection, no upscaling of the source needed. This is perfect for PCB repair. List here.

I'll also be tapping off the back of the edge connector the RGBS and VGnd signals to drive a CRT monitor. So I'll use this one MiniGun for CRT repair as well until a pure test bench fork is designed.

No damage re mono / stereo setting but it will sound wrong (out of phase) with it set to stereo on a mono board. Really the only board stereo applies to is the single slot MVS boards which support stereo over jamma, and have a switch themselves to alternate between mono / stereo (on the MVS PCB).
MVS 4 slots and 2 slots also output stereo. In this case, no switch to select between mono/stereo like in the MV1F.

Since I started building my advanced board, I can now follow the jamma edge discussion. So what is the best method to solder the edge connector? I imagine keep 1 row of pins straight, solder them to the board, then bend the pins on the other side?

Or bend them all before any soldering to give it a tight fit to the board before soldering?

Just curious if theres any major pros, and especially cons, to these methods

yeah thats what I was thinking to do. I imagine less stress on the joints if you bend them all before any soldering

Pinch them together before soldering. Benefit of this is the PCB once inserted shall be on the same plane as the MiniGun

ok makes sense. Thanks for the tips. Learning a lot

First time I attempted any tiny smd soldering like the ths7374. Man was it intimidating, but surprisingly, I got it soldered right. Just had to do a couple passes with the wick to remove stuff. Watching Voultar videos for advanced soldering techniques paid off

just got some boards in today, surprisingly cheap. Got my digi key order in. Time to put this badboy together.

Thank you @Frank_fjs for all of the work!

If anyone makes a model with VGA out, I would love to have one of those too!
Were you part of the group buy? I missed out on that :(

I wanted to build a minigun for a test bench but don't really know where to go about on buying a pcb.

I wanted to build a minigun for a test bench but don't really know where to go about on buying a pcb.
I'm gonna buy some advanced pcb's soon, if that's the one you want. Minimum quantity is usually like 3 of them so I'll have a few extra.

I'm gonna buy some advanced pcb's soon, if that's the one you want. Minimum quantity is usually like 3 of them so I'll have a few extra.
I wanted to try out a basic and advance. If you plan on buying, even if you're only getting advance board, I'll definitely shoot some cash your way

@BlinG I have 8 boards advanced. Just need to buy parts. I can hook you up. Not sure on price yet, but it shouldn't be bad. We can talk offline about it

The rev 1.2 std edition, pictured a few posts above, is for sale if anyone is interested. Proceeds will go directly back into the product.

Fully assembled and tested. Includes the supergun and arcade PSU power harness cable.

$90 Australian dollars shipped registered post anywhere in the world. $70 within Australia.

@rsignal, @West, (my financial backers ^^ ) and @Kavas have first dibs. :)
Thank you for the offer. I was interested in any excess advanced versions though. If anyone has excess advanced versions with hookups I am still interested.

Expecting delivery of PCBs today...

Back