What's new
Congratulations on finalising another awesome piece of work @Frank_fjs -- hopefully some people read this in your original post and flowed you some donations (you definitely deserve it!)
  • This entailed a lot of work. Monetary donations, while completely unnecessary and not expected, will graciously be accepted and used to further improve and refine the product, and maybe to treat myself to something nice. :)
  • PayPal: frank.fjs22 AT gmail.com (replace AT with @)

Ordered some 1.6 Advanced PCB's from pcbway. Blue with ENIG, 1oz copper. I got 5 so once I put it together and make sure it's good to go, I'll have some extras for sale. Probably have some spare components too.

Ordered some 1.6 Advanced PCB's from pcbway. Blue with ENIG, 1oz copper. I got 5 so once I put it together and make sure it's good to go, I'll have some extras for sale. Probably have some spare components too.
I love blue with Enig. Pictures when ready please.

After some thought I've decided it best to change the advanced edition back to the mini-fit-jr power connector. Reason being I'm not really happy with the kk396 connector. The mini-fit is a solid connector, easy to crimp, has a higher current rating and I think it'll be handy for both guns to share the same power harness.

That's great. Once I've learned to properly crimp the Mini Fit Jr terminals it's working perfect for me with the six 18 AWG cables. It's very comfortable to use and it works fine. It's nice to know it allows more amperage too.

By the way, the fork terminals listed in the BOM aren't perfect for the MWP-606 screws. I bought other ones from a local store that fit really well with this PSU, I can take measures if you are interested.

A word of caution: If you connect the joystick using a female DB15 connector with grounded metallic case I recommend to make the connection before power on, since it's not very difficult to accidentally make a shortcircuit being the +5V pin at the edge.

Anyone got a link to suitable spade connectors for an arcade PSU?

Digikey product preferred.

Congratulations on finalising another awesome piece of work @Frank_fjs -- hopefully some people read this in your original post and flowed you some donations (you definitely deserve it!)
  • This entailed a lot of work. Monetary donations, while completely unnecessary and not expected, will graciously be accepted and used to further improve and refine the product, and maybe to treat myself to something nice. :)
  • PayPal: frank.fjs22 AT gmail.com (replace AT with @)
For sure brother everybody read this ^^
I compiled a DigiKey BOM for V1.7 Advanced version

Last edited:
A few more donations rolled in.

Thanks to those whom have donated, it really means a lot and is a tremendous help.
Sir , please , can you tell me what kind of cables and crimp tool you use for the harnesses between Minigun and PSU ? I need to buy those cables and a crimping tool also.

Sir , please , can you tell me what kind of cables and crimp tool you use for the harnesses between Minigun and PSU ? I need to buy those cables and a crimping tool also.
Hozan P-706 are what I used for the Minigun and all my crimping needs. This is my 2nd set of crimps and these are the best. I have used different ones that friends own IRL, and these still remain the best. JST, Molex, TE Connectivity AMP UP are handled no sweat. Most my crimping is done at 22 AWG. But sometimes I go to 18-20. The Hozan handles them no sweat.

As for cable, I just salvaged some 20 AWG stranded wire from some torn down cabs.

I use a IWS-2412 (20€) and it does the job. Not sure if IWS-2820 is better since I use the smallest "teeth" to crimp the Mini Fit Jr.

My RGB cable from Retro Gaming Cables finally arrived after taking a tour of America. No matter because the result is an outstanding when paired with an OSSC. The image is clear with zero interference. You'd think it was an emulator. A big thank you to Frank_fjs for sharing this project. Please excuse the crummy photo.

Out Zone Title.jpg

I built a Minigun Advanced 1.1 and it works great. I use it with an ossc and like others have said, it looks so good it looks like emulation. I also built a mini din 8 to gbs8200 cable (jst 8pin) and the amp on the minigun cleans up the video nice enough that boards I have had problems with (going directly to the gbs8200) look good and have stable video. This is a great project.

The latter. Keep in mind, I am using the MiniGun strictly for test bench purposes. Some LCD monitors can accept and display a 15khz RGBS signal via the VGA connection, no upscaling of the source needed. This is perfect for PCB repair. List here.

I'll also be tapping off the back of the edge connector the RGBS and VGnd signals to drive a CRT monitor. So I'll use this one MiniGun for CRT repair as well until a pure test bench fork is designed.
Doesn't VGA require Vsync and HSync? Are these already available on the mini din pinout?

Back