What's new
The LCD monitor I have can sync up to a PC running CRT Emu at 15khz; very useful for setting up MAME. But it doesn't sync up to the MiniGun using that cable. Probably because that monitor expects separate H & V synch and not CSync. Same monitor can't accept 15khz from a NAOMI either.

Instead, I will be using the mini DIN 8->VGA cable to pipe the signal into a Gnobes CGA->VGA adapter for my test bench purposes. If that doesn't work, then I will solder on lead wire to the RGB, VGnd, & Sync pins on the back of the card edge connector. I have to do this anyway so that I can drive CRT monitors when I am working to repair those.

All in all, very happy with this. My previous test bench was a rat's nest. Minigun alleviates much of that and allows me to be portable as well, which is great when I am helping others on their arcades.

I received the latest version 1.7 PCBs a few days ago. Got them assembled, can confirm everything is working as it should. No issues whatsoever, everything fits perfectly and functions as intended.

While on the subject, is it possible to use breakout bnc rgbs cables to use on pvms with the minigun?

While on the subject, is it possible to use breakout bnc rgbs cables to use on pvms with the minigun?
The short answer is yes. I use a set of mini din 8 to BNC for my BVM.

I ordered a custom cable from https://retro-access.com/

If you need help, send me a PM.

Quick shot of the cable and it displaying on from a CPS2 to my BVM.

jrvrDuP.jpg

Hg2dJD7.jpg

Thanks Frank, got myself all the parts needed. Building it soon. Just waiting for the cable tho

I got some (advanced v1.7) PCB's this week and parts arrived for one assembly from digikey last night. I'm just repeating what others have already said but, all components fit like a glove. It fired up perfectly first try with my MVS. Thank you to everybody who made this project a success.

minigun supergun.jpg

I used AlxUnderBase's digikey BOM link. A couple notes:
  • The mean well power supply produces a super annoying high pitched note.
  • There are not enough pins in the BOM to populate the kick harness plug (‎p/n 455-1135-1-ND‎ should be quantity 6).
I have extra PCB's if people are interested in buying blank (or maybe populated) boards send me a PM.

I got some (advanced v1.7) PCB's this week and parts arrived for one assembly from digikey last night. I'm just repeating what others have already said but, all components fit like a glove. It fired up perfectly first try with my MVS. Thank you to everybody who made this project a success.

minigun supergun.jpg

• There are not enough pins in the BOM to populate the kick harness plug (‎p/n 455-1135-1-ND‎ should be quantity 6).
I have extra PCB's if people are interested in buying blank (or maybe populated) boards send me a PM.
Sir , the mean well it's not a good PSU for this mini ? i didn't notice , but i order 1 pin too ... :( i will make another order to have what i need when i must test this. my boards are in customs (dhl express from china to romania --- it's the worst service i've meet) . Sorry for mistake.

Ps : the BOM was modified with the correct number of pins that missed previously

Last edited:
Sir , the mean well it's not a good PSU for this mini ? i didn't notice , but i order 1 pin too ... :( i will make another order to have what i need when i must test this. my boards are in customs (dhl express from china to romania --- it's the worst service i've meet) . Sorry for mistake.
No reason for you to apologize. When I re-read what I wrote I see it might be interpreted as an attack. That was not my intention. I only meant to provide info so other people can make informed decisions. Thank you for providing the digikey BOM link. It helped out greatly.

I don't need the kick harness yet anyway. So those missing pins are no problem (for me).

Guys, besides @the Goat , someone else has a problem with the Well PSU related in this BOM ? (I already purchased this model ,but now at my home i have a HAPP psu who works awesome with all i want to play and have in my collection ^^ )

My mean well whines without a load. But with a load it’s fine.

I have the Mean Well RT-65A and RT-125A. No problems on my end but I have a MVS MV-1F, which draws more power than the other single slots.

@Frank_fjs The provided schematic loaded on Easy EDA. The PCB layout is there. But the electrical schematic view is not. Is there another file? Or am I missing something in Easy EDA? I've never used that site before.

You're not missing anything. :)

I've only done a schematic for the video circuit and that's more of a visual reference rather than a means to route the PCB.

I whipped the PCB up sans schematic, I trust myself more than I trust software. :)

The RT-125A generates the whine with my MV1A, I use my MV1FS instead to avoid it, it's a current draw issue.

You're not missing anything. :)

I've only done a schematic for the video circuit and that's more of a visual reference rather than a means to route the PCB.

I whipped the PCB up sans schematic, I trust myself more than I trust software. :)
I see, very impressive working without a schematic!

I wanted to take a look at the audio circuits. I think one of the audio channels is polarity inverted -- at least when the minigun is in mono audio mode. I suspect this because my audio is routed through a surround sound receiver. If the receiver is in Dolby Pro Logic mode, I would expect the audio to to routed 100% to the front center channel. But instead the audio is routed 100% to the rear channel. That tells me the left and right channels are 180 degrees out of phase.

This happens with audio through the mini din port. I have not tested the 1/8 inch audio port yet. Nor have I tested with a stereo JAMMA PCB. I also have not eliminated the possibility that my Retro access SCART cable is inverting one of the audio channels -- this is the first time I've used it in anger.

edit: I had the mono/stereo switch in the wrong position.

Last edited:
Back