What's new
Would a computer power supply be suitable?
If it's of decent quality, yes. You lose the ability to adjust +5V however with a good quality ATX PSU it's seldom necessary.

You also have to consider that modern ATX PSUs don't output -5 which is required for audio for a small handful of games. You can overcome this limitation by using an older ATX PSU, circa 2003 and earlier, or incorporating a simple voltage inverter PCB.

You can grab an ATX breakout board to make power connections a lot easier.
s-l400 (6).jpg

I certainly have, just e-mail info@suzohapp.com.au with the product numbers referenced from the Suzo Happ site in the US and they'll get back to you promptly with a quote and shipping costs.

After I was happy with it all, I agreed to the prices by e-mail, phoned in my credit card, and had a nice power supply a few weeks later. That exact power supply I listed above cost me $88.77 AUD in total: $55.70 for the PSU, $25 for door-to-door courier + 10% GST. The Australian dollar has dropped a lot since I bought it, so I would expect it to be closer to $100, please report back the current price when you get one.

Last edited:
That's a cool looking PSU. I bought a cheapo one off ebay that was a knock off of the MeanWell. The Happ one looks a LOT cleaner, gonna pick one of those up. It's just an 8 pin molex connector to the 6 pin one on the minigun right? Any wiring peculiarities I should know about?

That's a cool looking PSU. I bought a cheapo one off ebay that was a knock off of the MeanWell. The Happ one looks a LOT cleaner, gonna pick one of those up. It's just an 8 pin molex connector to the 6 pin one on the minigun right? Any wiring peculiarities I should know about?
It's a VERY solid supply, I believe @SmokeMonster uses a similar model. I had @Frank_fjs make a cable for mine to hook up to the Sentinel (ATX) with the parts I sent to him, he could probably report back with any peculiar issues when wiring it up to the Superguns.

Is there an affordable arcade power supply that uses a proper socket for the mains voltage? The idea of using bare leads tied to screw in terminals for 240V 50hZ seems unsafe to me.
I have some of these which I bought - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292979346263
Then you can use any old PC power supply. Just harvest an ATX PSU (power supply) from any PC from the last 8 years or so and it should be fine.

For me this feels like the easiest power supply at the lowest cost, considering PC power supplys are everywhere and cheap and this adapter is under $15 AUD

Basic wiring from the power adapter to the mini gun via a molex 6 pin connector and wallah

s-l1600.jpg

Love seeing all the alternative thinking here! Clever solution @evilsim and adds a power switch to the setup too.

We should fabricate a similar ATX breakout PCB. Opens the path to Pico ATXs too.

I have a computer recycling store nearby, he has shelves full of old school ATX PSUs, I nabbed a few from the era where -5V was still part of the standard. He only charges $20 or so.

The benefit of the Suzo Happ PSU is that it’s adjustable so you can bump it up for power hungry boards like the M72 and other games that are fussy with voltages.

Have you measured voltage drop between the PSU terminals and the board edge? the hungriest board I've tested is cabal, with this one I get 0.06V drop. Apart from the broken ones I've not found a board that doesn't work perfectly with 5.00V at the board edge.

I use 6x 16 AWG cables (~10 inches long, bare copper, alpha wire brand), crimp tin 0457503112 and the PSU (Suzo 42PP0606) set at 5.03V (measured at the terminals), this way I can run different sized boards without readjusting the voltage.

Last edited:
It's a VERY solid supply, I believe @SmokeMonster uses a similar model. I had @Frank_fjs make a cable for mine to hook up to the Sentinel (ATX) with the parts I sent to him, he could probably report back with any peculiar issues when wiring it up to the Superguns.
My own PSU is this Happ Power Pro Ultimate I've customized, since I wanted something that was cat-safe back then.

But, I usually recommend to people the Happ 15A, and the Min Dong MD-9916a. @GC8TECH has put the MD in like 170 cabinets at 1UP Arcade Brisbane and said the components inside are higher quality than the Happs now.

Last edited:
Frank_fjs could you be so kind as to leave the zips (mainly the bom) for the older revisions (maybe the most recent is enough) online?

This would help, if somebody does not pay express pcb delivery and you come out with something new.

My own PSU is this Happ Power Pro Ultimate I've customized, since I wanted something that was cat-safe back then.
But, I usually recommend to people the Happ 15A, and the Ming Dong MD-9916a. @GC8TECH has put the MD in like 170 cabinets at 1UP Arcade Brisbane and said the components inside are higher quality than the Happs now.
I did see the Ming Dong supply at another supplier. Has 3.3v on board too. But no -5

Oh that. I have one of those, the casing is the most horrible cheap nasty feeling thing in the world.

It literally feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands so I didn't use it because it just seems like a fire hazard waiting to happen.

Interesting it's actually better than I thought. They really need to do something about that housing.

Oh that. I have one of those, the casing is the most horrible cheap nasty feeling thing in the world.

It literally feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands so I didn't use it because it just seems like a fire hazard waiting to happen.
The eBay photo alone makes it look like it was fabbed on the sly in a prison machine shop.

The eBay photo alone makes it look like it was fabbed on the sly in a prison machine shop.
Trust me, it looks and feels worse in person.

It may well be a really good unit, but wow.

So, because happ has a minimum order of 50 dollars I have two of those PSUs coming. Does anyone want the extra?

Back