What's new
oh im personally fine!

Are there any good transcoders that dont add lag?

Normally some ns (aka nothing). There's some DIY or professional, I don't like s-video, but I have some experience in RGB to component.

rgb to component is easy. Theres tons of solid products as its just simple transcoding rather thn full on conversion. But trying to get a bunch of superguns for a large scale event and sourcing a ton of crts that can do component is a tough endeavor, hence why i asked about a composite addon

Something like this will work:

https://a.aliexpress.com/daejosCu

I can share a design revolving around the Sony CXA2075 to obtain composite and s-video.

I find composite to be a horrible way to play arcade games however. S-video is perfectly fine however.

@Frank_fjs oh i agree 100%. Composite is just for absolute convenience, in case a bunch of CRTs need to be sourced and not all of them have optimal inputs Thanks for the info!

@Frank_fjs

I cant remember if this was asked before, any chance of a composite video addon board? I get asked this from people that want me to make them a minigun and i tell them it only outputs rgbs, and they hate the fact that they need another device to work on a regular crt
I have mine hooked up to an arcade monitor and it works fine. I basically plugged in the 8pin to the supergun and cut the other side off. Have the RGB and ground cables in a molex that goes into the monitor. I pulled the sync straight off the Jamma pin on the supergun and ran that to the monitor as well. Has worked well..not as clean as using the sync in the cable with RGB but haven't gotten around to converting that yet.

@Frank_fjs oh i agree 100%. Composite is just for absolute convenience, in case a bunch of CRTs need to be sourced and not all of them have optimal inputs Thanks for the info!
I hear you. It's just a lot of extra work and cost to add composite and a mediocre result, at best.

If you're into arcades you'll find a way to source a decent, capable and suitable monitor! :P

People keep telling me it's too hard to find RGB consumer CRTs... I reside in Australia where scart TVs weren't commonplace, scarce, yet I've found 3 of them in a few days with a cursory scan of classifieds. A bunch of PVMs and BVMs and various vintage computer (Commodore / Amstrad) monitors.

Just need to be resourceful. Gamers today want magic boxes to do everything for them. Bring back the 286 PC days where one had to configure drivers, in DOS, for absolutely everything! And forget about networking unless you bothered to learn the fundamentals of PC hardware and software. Gamers today need to harden up! :D :D ^^

arcade monitors do composite? You lost me
No I was getting at the fact I just split off what was coming out of the supergun to connect to the arcade monitors RGB and sync pins. Know this isn’t what you were asking but, to what someone said I think you could adapt even if not built into the gun itself.

No, but the only thing preventing an arcade monitor from displaying a composite image is the missing NTSC decoding hardware.

If you supplied this externally it would of course work, as this is how all consumer grade CRT TVs function internally...
At some point they must convert everything they are given into RGB, this is necessary to drive the electron guns inside the tube itself.

Also why some of these "hack a tv to display RGB" guides are getting so popular now, if you can find a easy way to tap into it everything CRT is in reality RGB driven at its core.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but the only thing from preventing an arcade monitor from displaying a composite image is the missing NTSC decoding hardware.

If you supplied this externally it would of course work, as this is how all consumer grade CRT TVs function internally...
At some point they must convert everything they are given into RGB, this is necessary to drive the electron guns inside the tube itself.

Also why some of these "hack a tv to display RGB" guides are getting so popular now, if you can find a easy way to tap into it everything CRT is in reality RGB driven at its core.
Except the millions of monochrome CRT in the world.

Sure, but as I said "consumer grade CRT TVs" I wasn't really talking about monochrome now was I? :whistling: ;)

Are you suggesting black & white TVs are still common in households (millions)? :huh:
It's been my experience even composite only (trash) color CRT TVs are becoming rare now.

BTW you located in Burlington? Just curious as I grew up in VT, lived all over the state.

Sure, but as I said "consumer grade CRT TVs" I wasn't really talking about monochrome now was I? :whistling: ;)
Are you suggesting black & white TVs are still common in households (millions)? :huh:
It's been my experience even composite only (trash) color CRT TVs are becoming rare now.

BTW you located in Burlington? Just curious as I grew up in VT, lived all over the state.
I was just being overly pedantic for the humor value of pointing out how you over simplified a bit. Of coarse nobody here is concerned with black and white TVs or amber monochrome monitors.

Yeah, I'm in the "big city" of Burlington VT.

Best place I've ever lived, I often dream about going back.
Know why I don't? Rent is expensive, jobs (even pretty good ones) in the state don't pay shit.
I was sick of being poor, feeling like I had to beg rich assholes that came-up just to buy summer homes for a handout.

They displaced me, and all my friends, jacked up the price of home ownership to ridiculous levels in terms of cost of living for native Vermonters.
I hope they doze the top of those mountains off and pave them to build another Walmart/strip mall *cough*Williston*cough* so its just as fucked as everywhere else.

Best place I've ever lived, I often dream about going back.Know why I don't? Rent is expensive, jobs (even pretty good ones) in the state don't pay shit.
I was sick of being poor, feeling like I had to beg rich assholes that came-up just to buy summer homes for a handout.

They displaced me, and all my friends, jacked up the price of home ownership to ridiculous levels in terms of cost of living for native Vermonters.
I hope they doze the top of those mountains off and pave them to build another Walmart/strip mall *cough*Williston*cough* so its just as fucked as everywhere else.
I hear you. Don't forget about the out of state college students who's parents pay for their apartments driving up the rent for everybody.

UW0r699.png

I don't care what you do for work! If you make a living in VT, no way you've got 1.5 Million.

dW1sngc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back