What's new
Question for the group,

Which style of 8pin Mini din should I get from Retrogaming cables site the Passive or the (CSYNC) Built in LM1881 option for the Minigun Supergun?

Cheers,

I just got a bunch of the v2.5 PCB's printed so if anyone wants one, for member they're $6 per board and $3 shipping worldwide, or $1 shipping for aussies. (AU$)

It took forever for them to arrive from China, some customs problem actually in Sydney (facepalm). Anyway I have them now, if anyone wants to have a crack at building a lovely minigun or for whatever reason just PM me. I also got a bunch of SCART header PCB's to help making DIY scart cables, these are $2 each (dans design).

Thanks @Frank_fjs for the great product, even though I have 2 cabinets, I use my minigun and JVC CRT more!?

Me too! Astro collects dust whilst I play on the supergun with comfy controllers, kick arse audio and a nice monitor. :)

Anyone have any guess what a fair price to charge for an assembled v1.7 is?
Have an extra that I don't need, and someone could probably use.

Anyone have any guess what a fair price to charge for an assembled v1.7 is?
Have an extra that I don't need, and someone could probably use.
Hi Buffi, I am unsure what a fair price is but I could certainly use one.

thanks in advance.

OSSC sync booster PCB prototype tested and working wonderfully. Docks straight into the OSSC VGA input, outputs TTL level sync, your choice of CSYNC or separated HV sync. Simple connection from Minigun via 8 pin Mini DIN cable. Get those pesky Taito F3 and other troublesome arcade boards working with your OSSC.
Starting download… 73155450_10218486344722927_18632611807100928_n.jpg
Starting download… 72628925_10218486343082886_4506784143757017088_n.jpg
Question for the group and Frank. Will the MD8 to HD15 from @RGB work going to a OSSC? Reason I am asking is my 8 pin Mini Din took a dump on me and I waiting on some to come in stock.

What's the best console like equivalent of this Supergun?

Supergun in a box with internal PSU that is, the Minigun has all the features that I would want otherwise.

However, if anyone's got a good idea on how to package the Minigun I'm all ears :)

Question for the group and Frank. Will the MD8 to HD15 from @RGB work going to a OSSC? Reason I am asking is my 8 pin Mini Din took a dump on me and I waiting on some to come in stock.
If you mean Retro Gaming Cables', they're now back in stock! I've got myself one yesterday. :)
Thx for the heads up brother. I was on their site the day they said cables were gong to be in stock hitting command R like a mad man.

My adapter is passive, so the minigun would need to output TTL level CSync.

You don't actually need any of these adapters, IF you modify your OSSC.
It's been recommended for over a year now, the firmware even supports this so its 100% official/legit from Marcus (aka not a homemade hack).

Remember to enable "OSSC AV3 use AV1 RGB" option with the affected systems, and disable for others. For Taito F3, don't forget to additionally increase H-PLL pre and post coast to 4.

You don't actually need any of these adapters, IF you modify your OSSC.
It's been recommended for over a year now, the firmware even supports this so its 100% official/legit from Marcus (aka not a homemade hack).

Remember to enable "OSSC AV3 use AV1 RGB" option with the affected systems, and disable for others. For Taito F3, don't forget to additionally increase H-PLL pre and post coast to 4.
Yes and no. Even if you modify your OSSC, the CSync needs to be TTL level to work.

the CSync needs to be TTL level to work.
Right, sync should also be buffered... Are these functions the Minigun can't preform (I don't own one)?
The Minigun only outputs 75ohm Csync because it uses the 8 pin mini DIN cable "standard". You still need some sort of external sync buffer to use the modified OSSC AV3 mode, which is exactly why Frank designed the sync booster. A SCART version of the sync booster that follows the recommended pinout for the AV3 sync mod would be nice.

Last edited:
The Minigun only outputs 75ohm Csync
No offence but that seems like a design flaw... You should have the ability to out put both (75/TTL) with a jumper or switch.
Needing an external sync processor IMO only suggests incomplete design, its just that simple.

The Minigun only outputs 75ohm Csync
No offence but that seems like a design flaw... You should have the ability to out put both (75/TTL) with a jumper or switch.Needing an external sync processor IMO only suggests incomplete design, its just that simple.
Here's my understanding of the situation, and keep in mind that I don't speak for Frank in any way, this is just what I've gathered from watching this project for a while. The Minigun was originally meant to be as simple as possible, a minimum viable design that had no frills, but was safe to use with your consumer TVs and capture equipment. It has slowly gained more features, but it still largely holds to the philosophy of being a simple solution. As I understand it the Mini Din 8 was chosen as the output due to community pressure, and that forced the Minigun into a box where the only safe way to output csync from a Mini Din 8 is to output it as 75ohm csync. If there was a TTL switch, eventually someone would flip it and use the wrong cable, and kill their Framemeister or something like that. That's the kind of situation the Minigun design is trying to avoid. It would be nice if an alternative output option was available through an expansion header, but that probably exceeds the scope of the Minigun project.

If the Minigun instead used the Mini Din 9 for output, then the solution would be simple. All you would need to do is remove the sync resistor from a standard Genesis 2 SCART cable.

That's correct. The Sentinel had the switch for TTL/75R and uses a Genesis cable.

But for the minigun people argued (jassin was one of them :P) that mini DIN 8 is what everyone uses, that's the standard etc so that was used instead.

You have to protect people from themselves and someone would absolutely have blown up their equipment by running TTL sync through it. The external booster isn't a design flaw, it's a necessity.

Back