What's new
sorry im also quite fresh here, so the minigun is not outputing audio on the din8/din9?
The Minigun works fine and outputs the sound on the din8/din9...but my modification is for those that do not want to use SCART, thus are not using the din8/din9. It could be reworked into using the SCART dins but it's nice as a Hat

Last edited:
This is the final revision before I order a prototype, unless someone notices something wrong with the board. It's basically a completely new hat. I also had to make a few minor changes to the minigun itself. I'm still not completely happy with the stand off hole situation, and my trace routing is making me more and more nervous. Especially on the Minigun itself, everything is super compact. Frank did a very good job fitting everything in, it earns the Mini part of it's name.

Changes to Minigun
  • I was worried about it only sitting on 1 standoff and 2 headers so I added a second stand off hole. It was hard to find a good spot on the minigun board for the hole though so it's still a bit awkward
  • Added sound to the Video header to make it an AV header. Uses the sound off of the 3.5mm jack so it should turn off when headphones are attached
  • Switched a 1x4 pin header to a 2x3 pin header and moved the header close to the 3.5 mm jack.
  • Removed the power header and instead used the power header between the controller ports
  • rerouted the RGBS traces a little bit to allow the signal to be forked to the AV header
Changes to the AV Hat
  • Added Left and Right Audio RCA connectors for sound output.
  • Moved all the RCA connectors to the front, they will be over the controller port. S-Video is still to the side
  • Added a top level and bottom level GND plane for the AV connectors.
  • Redid the component layout and all of the traces.
Added some images for you. I am more of a visual person.
MiniGunAVHat3DBottom.png

MiniGunAVHat3DTop.png

MiniGunAVHatTop.png

I haven't had the chance to look over the video hat yet, I'll try to get to it over the weekend.

Looking at the pics above, I can't see a power filtering cap for the crystal oscillator. I find this helps with jitter on the composite video line. A 0.1uF in parallel with voltage and ground is all that's needed. I also found, re composite and dot crawl, a 0.1uF in series on the output of the oscillator can be helpful. Additionally, dropping the voltage from 5V to 3.3V to 4V of the oscillator helps.

I think it best to test the circuit as is first though, see what results you get, and adjust from there if necessary.

Thank you to all whom have made financial donations via PayPal. :)

One small request, please don't include any wording in the PayPal description relating to the words "gun", "supergun", "Minigun" etc. PayPal are suspending these payments as they think I'm dealing in illegal firearms. Yep, seriously, I know, how absurd is that.

The new evolution of supergun is nearing completion too. I'm still being tight lipped about it for now but am mere weeks away from having a finished product in hand.

I'm quite excited and believe this will be the next evolutionary wave in superguns and am pleased to have got there first.

^ I know what this is all about, and it's pretty cool, will be keen to see what the forum thinks about it.

The new evolution of supergun is nearing completion too. I'm still being tight lipped about it for now but am mere weeks away from having a finished product in hand.

I'm quite excited and believe this will be the next evolutionary wave in superguns and am pleased to have got there first.
@Frank_fjs you tease!

WTB a full setup. :)

Sounds exciting, I hope it's an all-in-one type deal :)

Hey all,

This is my first PCB’s soldering, I’ve run into the trouble of the power not turning on. Just wondering if there are any obvious mistakes I’ve made, thank you

Attachments

• 9B4EFC91-164F-4868-BF74-7A8A6211048D.jpeg
    9B4EFC91-164F-4868-BF74-7A8A6211048D.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 175
What power supply are you using?

Hey all,

This is my first PCB’s soldering, I’ve run into the trouble of the power not turning on. Just wondering if there are any obvious mistakes I’ve made, thank you
seconding the PSU question, though it looks like you have very little solder holding the jamma connector to the board. I would test for continuity around the rest of the board to see if something else might have a "floating" connection; not actually soldered together, but just looks like its in place. Very easy to miss with those small surface mount pieces unless you're used to it and pressing down onto the board as you solder them in place.

It appears as if your jamma edge connector isn't properly aligned to the game PCB, this could be creating an inadvertent short circuit which is tripping your PSU short circuit protection and preventing it from powering on.

Hmm, kind of going in the other direction naming wise yet in the opposite direction feature and function wise.

Cryptic clue for the day. ;)

Hmm, kind of going in the other direction naming wise yet in the opposite direction feature and function wise.

Cryptic clue for the day. ;)
minigun->nuginim ? I’m not in marketing but I don’t think that works well

Back