What's new
Good stuff Frank, look very much forward to this!

So the name for the new supergun is indeed... MicroGun - correctly guessed by @GeeDee

It's not micro in size, so why the name MicroGun? Because it's controlled via a microcontroller...

How do you interface with said microcontroller? Via tactile buttons and an OLED screen.
IMG_20200809_162723.jpg

What can one do, control with said microcontroller?

Accurately monitor voltages.
IMG_20200809_163222.jpg

Adjust RGB and sync levels.

Individually or simultaneously control RGB levels and brightness. Maintain perfect colour balance with zero effort. Never have to look at or touch a potentiometer again. Never drive video beyond safe levels.
IMG_20200809_162218.jpg

Via collaboration with @Arthrimus, remap or assign autofire to button inputs and have this information displayed on the OLED screen, no guess work required. Store, save and recall button profiles.

If things pan out, onboard USB controller ports. No need for a separate external encoder. Use your favourite fight stick, plug it into the supergun, remap as desired.

I think it's the next step forward in supergun design, hopefully others agree.

There's more exciting features too, but I think I've given enough away for now. :P

PCBs are in fabrication as I type, so I'll be able to demonstrate a complete working product in a matter of weeks.

O wow that looks cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with. With the two versions of the minigun is there one that gives a better quality video output? Or is it just the users preferred choice of cable?

Technically the mini DIN 8 version is better as the passive components are located near the video IC, whereas the DIN 9 has the passive components inside the scart cable at the opposing end. In practice it makes next to no difference.

Nice! Are you thinking of open sourcing the microcontroller code? I would love to help out if you need it. I've been experimenting with USB to DB15 using different Arduinos (Mega and Uno) with the hopes of one building it directly into my supergun. I've been focusing on 2 problems that I have which are 2 controllers mapped to 1 keyboard (IPAC2 basically) and multiple devices connected to a single hub. So configuration and profile management has been on my mind lately.

Anyway I would really like to see some standardization around USB in the same way we have with DB15 connectors/Scart/Kick Harnesses. Thus people will be able to focus on feature rather than compatibility. Feel like this will require an OSS library and as such I am willing to offer my Software Engineering skills for this. Of course you are the one who gets to decide when and if you want help, but I'll be here when you need it.

@Nearlylogical

Would totally love and appreciate your assistance!

Please see here: Open Source USB to DB15 for Supergun adapter

Private message @Raph_friend and ask to jump onboard. We have a discord where we chat and exchange code / ideas / test reports.

It's utilising the Arduino USB shield library which nicely covers PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and general HiD with varying results.

@Frank_fjs

I'll reach out to him. I figured I wasn't the only one to have this idea but I'm glad to see that it is open source!

Yeah I'm using a Host Shield and am using the same library myself. I've had pretty mixed results myself with general HiD, mostly around no standardization of inputs, which is where I think profiles could help. That and just different games being better with different button layouts.

Have all the faith in the world in USB! Just very cautious as I've seen different console sticks do funny things, it's definitely not as straight forward as DB15, that's for sure. Besides, I like playing with my 8bitdo M30 pad too much as it is.

Thanks boys,
a) I’ve confirmed continuous beep from A-F pins and 27 & 28 on the Jamma connector. I’ve added some solder to all pins for a more solid finish
b) Reseated the connection against the arcade board to be pretty much exactly in line

My thought is, I hope the board works! I bought the arcade board Sonic Wings from Aussie Arcade specifically to try out with this device. So I actually can’t confirm it’s a working game board Aaaaaa (Sold as working of course) Hmmm

Even if the game board isn’t working, you should still get a reading on the voltmeter.

Back