What's new
Hey all

I noticed that for Version 2.5. It has 2 terminals for +5V. The Atx breakout board I've order only has 1 +5V connection point. If I just connected one of them, would it be ok?
What arcade board are you using, some of them need -5v (minus 5v) also?

Hey all

I noticed that for Version 2.5. It has 2 terminals for +5V. The Atx breakout board I've order only has 1 +5V connection point. If I just connected one of them, would it be ok?
I've tested the following:

Denjin Makai II

CPS2 with Aliens vs Predator and Super Street Fighter II turbo.

Hey all

I've tested the following:

Denjin Makai II

CPS2 with Aliens vs Predator and Super Street Fighter II turbo.
Gotcha, CPS2 definitely doesn't need -5v and Denjin Makai II looks like it doesn't need it either, all my old Konami boards need it.

Yeah, I'll do a bit more testing with the framemeister settings, but my other retro consoles don't have issues with transmitting sound via RGB.

No I purchased this preassembled.

Don't have the soldering skills :(

@klee123 all good, did you get it from ebay or someone on here?

I had no audio on the minigun because I decided to leave out the audio jack, the audio jack has a switch in it so even if you don't use the jack you need it to get audio out of the DIN. If you bought yours assembled then it's not that lol, I use an OSSC so I can't help with the framemeister, it might be a component or soldering issue.

@klee123 all good, did you get it from ebay or someone on here?

I had no audio on the minigun because I decided to leave out the audio jack, the audio jack has a switch in it so even if you don't use the jack you need it to get audio out of the DIN. If you bought yours assembled then it's not that lol, I use an OSSC so I can't help with the framemeister, it might be a component or soldering issue.
I believe he posts here yeah. Anyone named Evilsim?

He provided the RGB cable wired to JP-21 which is not common and was not tested.

I'll open up the connection to see if the connectors are good tonight.

It depends on your knowledge level but a logic probe is a pretty cheap and easy to use troubleshooting tool:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Elenco-LP900-625-Logic-Pulser/dp/B0002E7X5O

You basically connect it to your PSU 5v and when you touch a pin or PCB contact you can hear the logic, or the audio.
I've recently ordered just a standard multimeter which I will use to check for fault finding.

I do eventually want to get into more into electrical works with LV stuff will be useful for any fault finding in the future. :)

I also want to eventually start being about to solder.
I used @Frank_fjs DIN to SCART PCB and an off the shelf DIN cable, works great.
What I've done as a quick fix is to order a headphone to RCA stereo cable as a stopgap solution.

Yea hello did I mess up the pinout on your jp21 ? I copied some diagram from google but could have made a booboo I guess.
Have you tested audio from the cps2 rca jack ? Maybe the volume on the A board is very low ? Hit me up if I can help but lots of people here know lots more than me :)

Yea hello did I mess up the pinout on your jp21 ? I copied some diagram from google but could have made a booboo I guess.
Have you tested audio from the cps2 rca jack ? Maybe the volume on the A board is very low ? Hit me up if I can help but lots of people here know lots more than me :)
Hey mate, it's all good, I did make the unusual request for the RGB plug to be wired to JP-21 spec after all. That said, the picture quality is awesome.

I don't have the RCA cables myself, but I do have sound coming out of the headphone jack when playing CPS2. As mentioned above, I have ordered an headphone to stereo RCA connector to fix this issue.

Ok cool,.cps2 is far better in stere-ere-o!
Cheers hope you enjoy playing

I have a question regarding the design of the Minigun 2.5 (I'm using the Mini DIN 8 version). Overall, it's pretty fantastic, thanks for making it!

But I'm surprised there is no way to control the sync voltage level (via a potentiometer, like RGB for instance).

My understanding is that R10/R11 are making a voltage divider to strongly reduce the voltage across PIN1 of the THS7374 and ground to a very low level (around 500mV ptp). It does seem to be tuned for having a SCART on the output. However, if I'm not mistaken, it should be possible to change the values of the resistors to supply up to 2.3V to PIN1 in order to have ~TTL SYNC levels on the output. As long as composite SYNC (and 15 kHz of course) is accepted, this should allow to connect many VGA devices (like the OSSC, or Extron Matrix switchers, interfaces) as well as many PVMs very easily, without requiring a separate "sync booster" device.

I'm thinking that I may be missing something: how come a potentiometer was not added instead of R10 to allow many VGA/PVM connections? Thanks for any information.

Hey, I'm pretty new to the supergun area. I bought a minigun v2.5 already assembled to use with some arcade boards that I own, outside of a cabinet. I want the display to go to either a consumer TV
Capture.JPG

or I have several old monitors like this https://www.cnet.com/products/envision-en710e-crt-monitor-17/. I understand the pinout for the 8 pin mini din, but this is where I get stuck. I have 8 pin mini din connectors. If I were to make a cable with component RCA outs to the TV could that be done without any additional circuit? I do have a GBS 8200 V4.0 so maybe that is the best way. Connect the RGB to match to pins 876, respectively. Then match pin 4 to the ground on the 8200 and pin 3 (sync) to either the H-sync or V-sync on the GBS 8200. I would not connect +5v pin 5 from the mini din since I will not be using SCART. I would not wire the sound through the video cable so leave 1 and 2 unconnected. I might prefer to wire up the RCA cables for the TV if that works, but if not, the GBS would be OK. Do you think I am heading down the right path and do you have any advice? Thanks!

Hey, I'm pretty new to the supergun area. I bought a minigun v2.5 already assembled to use with some arcade boards that I own, outside of a cabinet. I want the display to go to either a consumer TV
Capture.JPG

or I have several old monitors like this https://www.cnet.com/products/envision-en710e-crt-monitor-17/. I understand the pinout for the 8 pin mini din, but this is where I get stuck. I have 8 pin mini din connectors. If I were to make a cable with component RCA outs to the TV could that be done without any additional circuit? I do have a GBS 8200 V4.0 so maybe that is the best way. Connect the RGB to match to pins 876, respectively. Then match pin 4 to the ground on the 8200 and pin 3 (sync) to either the H-sync or V-sync on the GBS 8200. I would not connect +5v pin 5 from the mini din since I will not be using SCART. I would not wire the sound through the video cable so leave 1 and 2 unconnected. I might prefer to wire up the RCA cables for the TV if that works, but if not, the GBS would be OK. Do you think I am heading down the right path and do you have any advice? Thanks!
The supergun doesn't produce a signal that will work with your consumer TV or your VGA monitor. You will need some sort of converter.

The GBS 8200 might work, I don't know. I used to use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO/

Back