What's new

FPJ

Student
Reaction score
I'm going to skip over all the various testing and research I did to get to this point. We've got two Vewlix VS cabinets. They're designed to use these VS PCB Kits to split the video and audio signal from one Type X2 to both sides and to run two JVS boards, one on each side. My problem is that I can't get the JVS to work for both sides simultaneously with Ultra Street Fighter IV. Obviously USFIV is X3 and not X2, but as far as I know that shouldn't have a profound effect on this, but I could be wrong.

20190603_161532.jpg

If I have one JVS plugged into the X3, it works as the 1P side. If I plug the second JVS into the first JVS, which is supposed to make one work as 2P and the other as 1P, the second JVS instead becomes 1P and the first JVS does nothing. The USB on the VS PCB Kit is just a pass through.

The only information I've found about this was this thread here. It was mentioned that the game has to support JVS linking, but I would imagine most fighting games would, especially USFIV. Does anybody know if USFIV isn't compatible with JVS linking? Or is there something else I need to do? I've found no setting in the test menu that would help.

I'm on a schedule so I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to wire the 2P side into a JST connector and have everything running off one JVS board, but it'd be a lot easier if I could get this working the way it's supposed to.

Attachments

• 20190603_161550b.jpg
    20190603_161550b.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 712
USFIV is a FastI/O only game. Which means it does not natively support JVS.

If you're using it with JVS, then your most likely using my JVS to FastIO dll which doesn't support JVS linking because I never got around to it. :/

Maybe one day in the future I'll add support for linking,

What Niko said :)

You could extend P2 controls to the 2nd cab along with video/audio. Not an as clean solution, but it would work.

What Niko said :)

You could extend P2 controls to the 2nd cab along with video/audio. Not an as clean solution, but it would work.
Extending P2 controls to the 2nd cab is the better solution for sure. Your only adding to the input lag with a 2nd I/O board thrown in the mix.

As far as I'm aware there is no special .dll. From what I was told, there was a point in which the game had received the final patch, but was allowed to run offline and that's what we've got. Maybe that particular version supports JVS? I also can't entirely deny the possibility that it is modified. I'm not the one who makes the game purchases.

At any rate, It definitely works with one JVS, but I guess it's just not compatible with JVS linking.

Extending the controls is basically where I was at already, I ordered the JST connectors yesterday. I was just checking to make sure there wasn't an alternative using what we've already got. Wiring both sides into one JVS probably would have happened eventually, as I agree it would involve less lag, but I have 30 games to get together by the end of the month for an event. So the less time consuming option was preferable in the short term.

Thanks for the info!

100% its modified, no version of USFIV has ever supported JVS.

In fact no X3 game supports JVS controls, the only reason the X3 has a JVS port is for the RFID reader which in your case is being emulated.

That certainly seems very plausible. As I said, I don't make the purchases. As such, I did not get the information directly from the person we got them from. I may be new here and not know anybody, but even then I can still safely assume that you know more about the Type X stuff than I do. So I'm inclined to believe you.

I am confused by the idea that no X3 game is compatible with JVS. When I was looking for information, this page on the Arcade Otaku wiki about the JVs board revisions says that this particular board is "For use with Type X3 systems." That said, I now see the revision date is listed as 2006 and the X3 was much later than that, right?

That certainly seems very plausible. As I said, I don't make the purchases. As such, I did not get the information directly from the person we got them from. I may be new here and not know anybody, but even then I can still safely assume that you know more about the Type X stuff than I do. So I'm inclined to believe you.

I am confused by the idea that no X3 game is compatible with JVS. When I was looking for information, this page on the Arcade Otaku wiki about the JVs board revisions says that this particular board is "For use with Type X3 systems." That said, I now see the revision date is listed as 2006 and the X3 was much later than that, right?
I wasnt trying to come off as a douche, I just wanted to state the reason JVS linking wasnt possible.

Its not that the X3 isnt compatible with JVS, in fact the RFID readers communicate with the X3 using the JVS protocol ( same on the X2 ). By the time the X3 came out, Taito had switched to the Fast I/O which is a different type of I/O board than JVS. Those two RJ45 ports next to the JVS port on the X3 are used to connect the Fast I/O.

Basically what I was trying to say is that all X3 games use Fast I/O board(s) for controls and the JVS port for the RFID card reader(s).

Reactions: FPJ
Isn't that board listed (K91X1147A) the one that came standard with Vewlix Ls directly from Taito?
The wiki could be wrong.

I have basically bought just about every X3 game, all I can say is that they all use some version of the fast io, none that I have seen has worked with or uses jvs. The only one that has been made to work with jvs is USF4, both @Niko and @corey have done tremendous works on these systems.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say you sounded mean or anything. I was just trying to explain my situation and acknowledge my less informed position in an attempt to avoid having any questions I asked afterward come off as argumentative. Text, it turns out, is terrible at conveying tone, haha.

Thanks for the lesson though! I mostly work with older systems. Ultimately it's fine that they're modified since they aren't multis and there's no performance issue. If that's the only way to do it without NESiCA, then that's how it must be.

Fast I/O may be something we switch to eventually. For now, due to time and cost, wiring the single JVS is the route to take. We only have one Fast I/O board but 5 of those JVS boards.

What I'm reading here makes it seem likely that they're running something you worked on, Niko. In which case, thanks for both the info and the work!

Back