What's new

WickedC10

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello I just received the CPS 2 multikit from https://www.highscoresaves.com/darksoft-cps2-multi-kit.html with the optional SD card.
I used a working Marvel Super Heros on a Working A board. The board is a revision 6.
I removed the battery and soldered some jumpers according to this SOOS SO OSOSOS SOSOSOSO SOSOSOSO I just had to solder the first 3 groups the last 2 were already set the same.
I installed the optional PAL G chip.
I removed all of the old roms and seated all three boards and triple checked for bent pins.
From my understanding with a rev 6 board that was all I needed to do and I could play unencrypted roms like this set "Avalaunch_CPS2_for_Darksoft_Multi_150531" I didn't need to solder any wires I thought but all I ever got was a black maybe very dark purple screen. the LCD said it was flashing games fine.

Since this didn't work I added the 4 wires to write keys and used the "CPS2 Roll-Up Base Pack 2018-04-26" encrypted Rom pack and I got the same thing. The LCD now was saying it was also writing the keys.

Since that didnt work I went and doubled checked all of my connections and I tugged on the Key writing wires to make sure the were soldered on firmly and the clock wire came off and I thought that was the problem until I realized the tiny pad and trace came off with it NOOOOO!

So how can I get this working to just play unencrypted Roms now? I dont really need the key writing wires now? Do I need a wire to reboot or something?

Huge thanks in advance if someone can point me in the right direction! I added some photos too.

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_173255876.jpg
    IMG_20190602_173255876.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_20190602_173304518.jpg
    IMG_20190602_173304518.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 414
Well your first problem was just that your small interconnect PCB is installed backwards.

You can still use key-writing if you jump the pad you pulled up.

Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't even notice that connector was not symmetrical and I had it upside down!
I flipped that connector and reseated the smaller board. I unplugged the 4 pin harness and tried booting unencrypted roms and it was more of a blank blue screen now.
Im sure I have something else upside down.

I thought you have to remove the battery for Darksoft CPS2 Multi-Kit, but yours still intact. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't even notice that connector was not symmetrical and I had it upside down!
I flipped that connector and reseated the smaller board. I unplugged the 4 pin harness and tried booting unencrypted roms and it was more of a blank blue screen now.
Im sure I have something else upside down.
Blank blue screen is good, that means it's actually reading main program but you have the wrong keys or it's suicided. As others have said, remove your battery and short EXC5 and decrypted ROMs will run perfectly.

Alternatively, depending on your location someone may be able to fix your board so you can have full functionality if you want it fixed and it's not something you can do yourself

Thanks guys, but its still a black or dark blue screen.
I removed the battery and shorted the EX5 from the bottom of the board with a screw driver for a second while powered off.
After looking trough this forum I decided to recheck my jumper settings. I found 2 that looked open but were shorted so I fixed all the jumpers and checked them with a meter.
I am using "Avalaunch_CPS2_for_Darksoft_Multi_150531" rom pack. Should I be adding any other files to the SD card? I seen a nobattery.zip in a few comments.
3 of the 4 key writing wires are still soldered to the board but I unplugged the connector from C9. I would be happy with unencrypted roms.

Thanks for the help!

Do you have the blank keys in the folders for the ROMs? If you're running key writing firmware but not using encrypted ROMs you need blank key files

Black screen suggests that's the issue

I think I have tried every rom pack. Is this is a real key " @ ¤ </ëàcÀ" and this is a blank one "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" ?

I also unsolderd my other 3 key writing wires just in case i had solder touching a near by component, like I have seen in couple threads on here.

I just soldered SW5 to pin 5 on C9 and nothing still.

Where can I get the older firmware? Since I messed up the CLOCK pad on my PCB.

You don't need to downgrade the firmware, and you can't anyway without great difficulty.

Just make sure you have the Avalaunch pack with the blank keys and you should be fine.

I am using "Avalaunch_CPS2_for_Darksoft_Multi_150531" rom pack. I added a key file "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" to each folder. Is that correct?

Now when it says writing my screen goes black then when its done it goes dark blue.

What wires if any do I need hooked up for unencyrpted roms?

Paging @SmokeMonster - is that the correct ROM pack?

It's writing correctly then not booting because the wrong keys exist which is why you get the dark blue screen. Also, have you shorted EXC5?

No wires should be installed for decrypted ROM set, it won't auto reset so once loaded you will need to turn the CPS2 off and back on

Thanks xodaraP, knowing to unplug the wires then manually reboot after writing helped me get it running. I also used "OldCPS2BasePack".
What would I need to do to make it auto reset?

Thanks everyone! Literally got it working at midnight before I have a arcade party tomorrow!

Thanks xodaraP, knowing to unplug the wires then manually reboot after writing helped me get it running. I also used "OldCPS2BasePack".
What would I need to do to make it auto reset?

Thanks everyone! Literally got it working at midnight before I have a arcade party tomorrow!
There's a single jumper wire to install for auto reset with decrypted ROMs, I would recommend doing that AFTER your arcade party in case something goes wrong.

Back