What's new
Lots of SEGA "Confidential" materials have been released over the years. SEGA hardly cares about their older stuff unless they can re-purpose and profit from it ala emulation. Virtua Fighter is a piece of gaming history and all its element should be preserved.

Also what cabinet ID code did you find in this thread? There is a picture with his serial number partially visible but it's not readable.

If you would like to get in touch with a real game preservationist who could properly handle those documents and data, I suggest you please get in touch with Frank Cifaldi who is the founder and co-director of GameHistory.org, or
you can email the organization directly here

Hi, sorry I have been busy. I think it was simply Virtue fighter, after I googled it having found Virtue Fighter via the cabinet code, linked from the instruction booklet provided with the arcade cabinet. Some of these numbers may make sense to some of you, if the number doesnt make sense it could be a prototype project that was scrapped. I have more boxes but I didnt have time to upload the labels.

Last edited:
That's pretty neat. I suggest you put them aside and not incinerate them. How are the models depicted inside?

It starts off as a simple brown A4 size file. during development and production this is added to with PDF specs, and printed A4 and A3 sheets. Eventually this will be converted to DXF files, I think DXF is correct, then eventually to a program for CNC cutting. typically 2-3 prototype models would be made and sent off for analysis, then orders would start coming through for the cabinets.

Years ago thousands of cabinets would be built and exported from the UK to Europe and especially the USA, chances are if you played Teenage Mutant Hero / Ninja Turtles, Street Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Grid, Mario Kart, SEGA Transformers then you "potentially" played on a cabinet made by our company.

I've been hunting high and low for records of WWF Wrestlefest, Crime Fighters, and Double Dragon, but I havent found those specs yet.

The reason Americans have problems getting specs in some cases is huge amounts of cabinets were exported from the UK, more specifically Wales. For example many SEGA games were in fact made in Bridgend, then sent to Cardiff, before being exported to the USA after testing.

One legendary problem was the screws at the back of Transformers being too long, we had the first run of units, the screws were wrong on the SEGA spec and actually drove into the back of the TV screen. No one checked until the 17th unit was built... 17 screens ruined at a cost of £500 each!

Last edited:
3rd picture from the end is my mouse mat and coffee mug coaster, a old Sega Grid instruction booklet.

While there is also a story connected to those Sega cabinets, if you look closely you can see Sega Master Systems inside. I found them in our warehouse in a corner. After making enquiries I discovered they were three prototypes designed for Sega that were supposed to go into UK Stores in 1989, the first batch in fact were supposed to go into Virgin Mega Stores. However the Left Hand joysticks totally bombed in the market, while the production of the Mega Drive (Genesis for USA) a year later means the development was put on "hold". Amazingly the cabinets have been sat there since 1989 in the exact same spot to the present day because Sega never actually classified the production as scrapped. Essentially it means they will sit there forever, because Sega as a company is not what is was in 1989 and that particular department doesn't actually exist anymore, so the order to scrap will never come.

Essentially it means they will sit there forever, because Sega as a company is not what is was in 1989 and that particular department doesn't actually exist anymore, so the order to scrap will never come.
Alright, let me see if I understand this correctly. Your company fabricates things for various other companies and holds onto the design/blueprints until the company orders you to destroy them?

Are you saying if the department of Sega that had these cabinets ordered still existed nearly 30 years later, and ordered you to destroy them, you would have to do it without hesitation?

Do you understand that Sega literally had to contact a Japanese design office to recover photos of their designs of their Megadrive box art in a locked filing cabinet that no longer had a key?

Earlier you mentioned you were in favor of Emulation, which is the preservation of game data, yet you willingly "scrap" or destroy design documents because they "expire" and do not preserve them in any fashion? Is there legal recourse if you do not destroy them? That is a very long contract order to fill for so many years later.

You also mention you found this thread using Virtua Fighter's "cabinet code" from the manual. I have the manual here and the only cabinet code I can find is "Model SUR-007-01", which has not been posted by the original poster glstar or is visible in any of his images. So again, I ask you, specifically which code are you speaking of that lead you to this thread?

I am sorry if I am coming off as slightly aggressive but what you have in your possession is an incredible treasure trove of gaming history which I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing it to be preserved. The reason I am so adamant is because is in your first post to this form you stated "while I was scrapping some of the old Specs for Sega amusement machines", which if I am understanding correctly you have already completely destroyed some video game history already.

Alright, let me see if I understand this correctly. Your company fabricates things for various other companies and holds onto the design/blueprints until the company orders you to destroy them?
Yes thats correct, though in many cases we do the designs ourselves, it depends on the situation, and the customer.
Are you saying if the department of Sega that had these cabinets ordered still existed nearly 30 years later, and ordered you to destroy them, you would have to do it without hesitation?
Yes, because it's their intellectual property in theory, many prototypes are designed only to be scrapped in development, the three cabinets I have posted from 1989 are a good example. the joystick sucked, the Genesis came out. They are useless to Sega, in fact I doubt anyone in modern Sega even knows they exist.

Do you understand that Sega literally had to contact a Japanese design office to recover photos of their designs of their Megadrive box art in a locked filing cabinet that no longer had a key?
It wouldn't surprise me, I still get emails off Sega asking about spare parts to this day, sadly due to a massive falling out, our company chooses not to do business with them anymore.

Earlier you mentioned you were in favor of Emulation, which is the preservation of game data, yet you willingly "scrap" or destroy design documents because they "expire" and do not preserve them in any fashion? Is there legal recourse if you do not destroy them? That is a very long contract order to fill for so many years later.
I don't willingly do anything, I've hidden the bloody things on a top shelf and hope no one finds them! But in reality they will be destroyed at some point because we don't own the specs, won't ever make them, and don't own the copyright. Thats just the industry. If you don't make something for X amount of years, they are destroyed because they are obsolete. It's no different from emulation of old Snes games, the sites have been shut down to al arge degree, the games are very old but companies protect their property.

You also mention you found this thread using Virtua Fighter's "cabinet code" from the manual. I have the manual here and the only cabinet code I can find is "Model SUR-007-01", which has not been posted by the original poster glstar or is visible in any of his images. So again, I ask you, specifically which code are you speaking of that lead you to this thread?
No I think you misunderstand. I typed in one of the Codes on the pictures of the boxes I posted, note UK / EU codes are a bit different. I then found Virtua Fighter, and then found this thread. Though Virtue Fighter is in one of those boxes somewhere. Virtua fighter is HOW I found this forum.

I am sorry if I am coming off as slightly aggressive but what you have in your possession is an incredible treasure trove of gaming history which I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing it to be preserved. The reason I am so adamant is because is in your first post to this form you stated "while I was scrapping some of the old Specs for Sega amusement machines", which if I am understanding correctly you have already completely destroyed some video game history already.
Yeah it pisses me off as well, I can literally open a drawer next to my desk and see the entire specs for the various designs of Mario Cart 1 and 2 by Namco, compressor cab etc, yet I know at some point, I will be instructed to dump them into a box, then eventually throw them into a furnace. I'm just stating what happens in the industry I get paid to work in. Though to be honest, the arcade gaming machine is all but dead, the vast, vast majority of modern work is coin pushers and bandits. I'm just giving you the perspective from the other side of the fence. This is the sad reality of the industry.

Last edited:
This multi cabinet looks amazing, I’m planning on doing something similar for my tekken cabinet and soul calibur cabinet( I’m going to place a PlayStation 2 inside it as well) :) great job!!!!

Are you able to share any more info on how the audio aspect was wired up?

Ive bought USA Virtua fighter 1 and Virtua Fighter 2 cabinets and also have access to a complete VF2 board/wiring set.

Id love to do exactly the same as this, except only with VF1-2 in it.

Im familiar with the riddledtv switching gear, but am not sure how you’re getting all the boards audio to go through the VF1 amplifier? (At least that’s what it seems like you’ve done?)

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Back