What's new

ZERO_MILES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there, looking for some insight -- a friend of mine has an MK1 pcb, but he complains the sound board runs way too hot.

Game works fine, sound is fine (no garbage, pops, anything), but the amp gets so hot you can't even touch the heatsink.

Is this a common issue? What could be causing this, some sort of short? Bad amp IC? Failed thermal paste/adhesive between the amp and heatsink?

I'll take a look into this later this week, it'd be nice to know beforehand if anyone has witnessed this problem.

Thanks!

How is he running it? Could be the setup he's using.

My heat syncs also get hot (MK1 and MK2) to the point where you wouldn't really want to lay a finger on it for long periods of time.
I consider it normal as both PCBs do it, and again its not cook a egg hot, but I wouldn't want to hold on to it either.

The plexi cases I'm using have slots/vent holes cut into the top layer for this reason.
uyzwcpw.jpg

How is he running it? Could be the setup he's using.
It's not the setup, he has 6 or 7 other MK1 PCBs and soundboards , only one of them is getting "too hot".

The plexi cases I'm using have slots/vent holes cut into the top layer for this reason.
Yeah, my friend said all of his many MK1 PCBs (don't ask me WHY he has so many, he has 3x, 4x, 5x sometimes more of everything) get hot, but not "too hot" like this one.

I'm suspecting the voltage regulator may be shot.

Is it possible the amp is oscillating possibly due to caps gone bad? it would be interesting to check it with an oscilloscope.

I don't know the board, just guessing.

don't ask me WHY he has so many
I've actually always wanted a T-Unit MK1 in addition to my Y-Unit.
T-Unit has the 5.0 version ROMs, Y stops at 4.0 (I suspect bug fixes in addition to patches to make it run on T/different board).

You can convert a MK2 T-Unit into a MK1 T-Unit, but you still need an original MK1/Y-Unit soundboard (the MK2/T-Unit soundboard can't be used).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back